The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Welty Pens.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 05:11

I can across a Jade flattop Welty pen and I started researching it.
I found the following interesting links:

Welty pens - history
W. A. Welty biography.

It looks that there is a connection with Wirt and some disputes with Conklin. It makes interesting reading...

Sponsored Content

#2 Alriel

Alriel

Flexible

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 05:44

Hi Antonios,

That's very interesting. I wonder if the company ever moved to Chicago. I purchased this nib a few weeks ago. I have never seen a Welty pen. Does your flattop have a patent date or location of manufacture?

Posted Image

P.S. - it is a very smooth nib that happens to be mated with a feed with a generous flow. :D

Alriel
Mundus Vult Decipi, Decipiatur Ergo

#3 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 06:05

Nice.

No - mine has no insription. Just Welty on the clip. Warranted #8 on the nib. Just a nice generic OS Jade flattop.

By the way from a Zoss post:
"Welty was in Iowa from about 1905 through about 1918 and in Chicago from 1918 through the 1950s."
Apparently there is an article on Welty pens by Fultz in Pen World (Vol 17, No 4 Feb/Mar 2004).
These pieces of info came from a search on escribe/zoss

#4 rhr

rhr

pensmith

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 06:44

Here's some information that I collected on Welty and his various pen companies.

Welty, William A., fountain pens, mechanical pencils, William A. Welty Co. (1905-1950s), "Welty's", WAWCo, William T. Fitzpatrick, pres., 706˝ Sycamore St., Waterloo, Iowa, 1911, also Boston, Mass., and New York, N. Y., and Evans Dollar Pen Co., also Evans Self Filler Pen Co. Inc., Waterloo, Iowa, 1917, and 200 5th Ave., Rm 351, New York, N. Y., 1920-21, and Servo Fountain Pen Co., Fowler Bldg, cor Fifth & Lafayette Sts., Waterloo, Iowa, 1916, and 36 S. State St., Chicago, Ill., 1918-50s, patents 1904-20, "WAWCo" trademark used since 1911, issued 1916, "Servo" trademark used since and issued in 1916, "Do#ar" trademark for Evans Dollar Pen Co. used since and issued in 1917, "Red Top" trademark for Evans Dollar Pen Co. used since 1917, issued 1920

George.

:ph34r:
rhrpen(at)gmail.com

#5 Andrew_L

Andrew_L

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:11

Thanks for useful info, guys!