Please recommend a good leather-bound journal for me

Thanks for the pics! Those are amazing, and I will definitely be getting one after New Years.

this year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practice ourselves the kind of behavior we expect from other people.

~ C.S. Lewis

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pensfan

• Stargazer34683

• Nibble

• Dark Side

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For most of this year I've been using an M by Staples journal. It lays flat, lots of pages. The paper's kinda thin, so depending on the ink, there was bleedthrough. Now that it's full, I've been binding my own refills. I like how it's more "professional" looking, vs the trendy moles, or a rustic leather. The price is hard to beat, and I've seen 50% off sales once or twice.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I saw the thread and thought I'd stop in in case there were any questions. Steff and I are making the covers again and working to build up inventory since we ship the same or next day now, but they don't stay in stock for more than five hours typically. I think we only have one large buffalo with rivets right now. We will have three more large ones tomorrow though. I don't know when we'll post them, but we typically announce it on our Facebook page when we do.

Regards,

Jazeps

There are lots of good, inexpensive journals available at Office Depot, Office Max, Staples, Barnes and Noble and other stores. If you are looking for a fountain pen friendly journal or a "premium quality" journal, you may have to look elsewhere.

First you have to answer the questions:

1. Will you be writing in the journal with a fountain pen?

2. What is your budget for a journal?

3. What kind of cover do you prefer (fine leather, bonded leather, cloth covered board, etc)?

4. Would you prefer a hard cover or a flexible cover?

5. What size will suit your needs?

6. Do you want lines or blank pages? How many pages do you need?

There are so many different styles of journals available at various prices. Answering these questions will help to narrow the field.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the pics! Those are amazing, and I will definitely be getting one after New Years.

Just as an update here... My wife and I now have three of the Inkleaf covers and they are absolutely awesome.

:)

this year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practice ourselves the kind of behavior we expect from other people.

~ C.S. Lewis

Just another suggestion the Oberon Large journal covers if the Rhodia webbies. I put a post up about it here.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s1600/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Here are pics of our latest covers from Inkleaf, both were custom ordered to fit the Rhodia Weekly 6x9 planner. And my wife jokingly asked if they could make a blue one with silver trim and they did. :)

My wife and I have been using our new covers for our Weekly Planners for a couple weeks now, and WOW. The quality, fit, and finish of these is amazing. In person, they look even better than the pictures. It is nearly impossible to capture the depth and range of color with a single picture, but here is an attempt.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/tjnahm/inkleaf_burnt_tobacco.jpg

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/tjnahm/inkleaf_blue.jpg

~ C.S. Lewis

• 4 weeks later...

No one has mentioned Smythson notebooks. They are certainly a premium price, but I have used the large one and am now on a second. They really are tough and because the paper is thin 384 pages comes in quite a slim volume. I find they are reasonably ink friendly. I used FPN mss brown in a Danitrio with a stub nib and found that occasionally there would be a little spot of bleed-through. Nothing that obscured the writing on the otherside, though. Depending on the size of your writing I think that you should expect 70,000 words per volume.

I know that they are tough because I have often used the small notebooks. They seem to withstand life in the back pocket of a pair of jeans very satisfactorily.

Ahh. Suddenly realised that "Koyote" wants a refillable notebook. You can only fill these ones with your notes.

Edited by Nibble
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

No one has mentioned Smythson notebooks. They are certainly a premium price, but I have used the large one and am now on a second. They really are tough and because the paper is thin 384 pages comes in quite a slim volume. I find they are reasonably ink friendly. I used FPN mss brown in a Danitrio with a stub nib and found that occasionally there would be a little spot of bleed-through. Nothing that obscured the writing on the otherside, though. Depending on the size of your writing I think that you should expect 70,000 words per volume.

I know that they are tough because I have often used the small notebooks. They seem to withstand life in the back pocket of a pair of jeans very satisfactorily.

Ahh. Suddenly realised that "Koyote" wants a refillable notebook. You can only fill these ones with your notes.

By "large" ones do you mean the King's or Duke's size? I'm about to buy one, but can't really decide on the size. What's your experience? And do you have the book in lambskin or pigskin finish?

By "large" ones do you mean the King's or Duke's size? I'm about to buy one, but can't really decide on the size. What's your experience? And do you have the book in lambskin or pigskin finish?

Mine are the dark blue (it is almost black) Lambskin Kings size. They are lovely notebooks.

However I have to say Smythson makes me mad. They used to be a shop where you could get nice writing paper and other things for your desk. Now they have become a handbag shop, in the main. I suppose their marketing people have realised that the big money is to be found from Footballers' Girl Friends (and want-to-be-f-g-fs). Everything has to be wrapped with a box and a ribbon, and then a carrier-bag so you can advertise their shop as you recover from the price in a nearby Starbucks. (They make Starbucks seem cheap.)

Oh dear! I am beginning to rant. Why shouldn't they price their goods as they wish? It is just that I know I am being given a whole load of theatrical bling as a kind of wrapper for a very decent product. I get the impression that they don't want ordinary people to be seen with their books lest they loose the f-g-fs.

But don't listen to me. The quality is good. Just bring a thermos flask of coffee and a sandwich so you can go and recover on a park bench.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

• 3 weeks later...

Barnes and Noble Brown Leather Wrap Traveler's Journal. Takes B&N Kraft refill at $3.95 each (5" x 7"). I just bought one and love the leather cover, but have yet to start using the paper. I have a journal to finish first. :) Reviews on B&N said it takes fp inks well.

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Home-gift/Brown-Leather-Wrap-Travelers-Journal/e/9780737260106/?itm=1&USRI=leather+journal

Edit: forgot to mention, it does lie flat... very flat! I'm thrilled about that. It's also lined, which is what you're looking for.

Edited by elvawenn

Koyote, did you ever decide on a journal? please, let us know! :) i hope you found one :)

• 2 years later...

Hi Koyote! I know a store, which make full-leather and also half-leather bound journals with a special binding technique, and in various sizes! You can even select your favourite color and picture on the cover:)

I have used Fiorentina for many years. Very Classy. Great paper. A bit pricy. You can get them through Barnes & Noble.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/fiorentina?csrfToken=bMbaLMZKcUCL6EAd51YdW9TKDD7uAgGR&sort=R&size=30&csrftoken=bMbaLMZKcUCL6EAd51YdW9TKDD7uAgGR&keyword=fiorentina&store=allproducts

I also give a thumbs up to Fiorentina refills given the consistent quality and availability there in.

Before purchasing, I recommend you look at Renaissance Art Leather (I have no affiliation with them, other than a keen appreciation for what they do) http://www.renaissance-art.com/catg4/categoryMaster.aspx - excellent handmade / bench made quality journals with an assortment of top quality paper, and superb customer service.

CFTPM

• 9 months later...

Smythson.

Intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

• 2 weeks later...

Smythson.

For UK pounds 4500,00 I will catch and skin the crocodile myself. Rather buy a Montblanc Heritage 1914 in Coral. Edited by LeonW

Mr. Yoshino is an amazing artisan!

Check out the huge variety of leather journals on soulful collection.

http://www.soulfulcollection.com/collections/leather-journals

attachicon.gifleather-travel-diary.jpg

That journal roll is quite nice, too!

Check out Bro Leather on Etsy; really nice leather craft and you can use any A5 notebook:

il_570xN.525713240_dr2w.jpg

il_570xN.525713288_h9ty.jpg

il_570xN.451305589_39kn.jpg

il_570xN.572938825_t5gx.jpg

il_570xN.523817958_ofbr.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/130843926/leather-travel-notebook-sketchbook-or?ref=related-0

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia