I fought the law, and the law won...

PJohnP

I'm one of those people who have used some Noodler's inks, but I've not been one of Nathan's fervent supporters, nor one of those who intensely dislike his inks, just another FP user like many. Inks like Ottoman Rose have been part of my rotation for a longish time (since my supply of Quink red dwindled and disappeared, as a matter of fact). Hunter Green has been a regular in my Pelikan M200 solid green and I occasionally have Coral Sea Blue in various pens.

But.

The incessant nib-creep of some of the inks has been a significant barrier for me. I've enjoyed the colours, felt more comfortable with the bulletproof/Eternal nature of some of the inks, but the coating of the nibs has been irritating, and detracted greatly from my enjoyment of these inks.

Reading ViseGuy's Bad Belted Kingfisher review, I was intrigued at a comment that there was little or no nib creep. I pondered a bit, and then contacted Ryan at Pear Tree Pens, who had mentioned that they were just about to receive a shipment. I may well have been the first person to order it on their site.

I'm not going to attempt to duplicate VG's review here - he's been most thorough and complete in his comments and tests. What I can do is offer this rather startling tidbit :

I didn't see one bit of nib-creep on vintage and modern Pelikan nibs ! Not a bit.

http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/100855/103346/KingfisherMarshfield261_M.jpg

That's some darned smug looking kingfisher, eh ?

http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/100855/106718/BBKonBRPaper9868_L.jpg

Well, let's give Nathan some incentive for more Warden's Inks with a few more photos of fine fish-eating creatures in various circumstances...

http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/100855/103346/SunsetSushiNo2_DSC45793233_M.jpg

http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/100855/103346/OspreyNo17186_M.jpg

http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/100855/103346/CottonmouthClose-upDSC13564117_M.jpg

http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/100855/103346/GreenPython3247_M.jpg

Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher is a fine ink.

As a note per the Federal Trade Commission Guidelines related to blogging published in October 2009, I purchased this ink myself from Pear Tree Pens. I am not paid in any fashion for my opinion or provided with free ink from the vendor or ink-maker.

John P.

Edited by PJohnP

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PJohnP

• mediocrechris

• lefty928

• dizzypen

Yeah, yeah, good ink and all that--all of which pales in comparison to those incredible photographs. Wow!

Okay, I really do appreciate the information about the ink. That one has been on my "possibly" list and the lack of nib creep pushed it over into the "gonna get some" category.

Edited to note that Pear Tree is out of it at the moment. :crybaby:

Edited by WendyNC

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

very nice pictures :thumbup: thanks for sharing :clap1:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Yeah, yeah, good ink and all that--all of which pales in comparison to those incredible photographs. Wow!

Thanks for the kind words. If you had the high-res version of the cottonmouth photo, you could see me reflected in the snake's eye. I have a large giglée print of it on the wall of my office, and it sometimes discomfits visitors... :wacko:

John P.

Hi, PJohnP. Glad you're getting no creep with Kingfisher. I'm getting a little. Here's the Pelikan B nib I've been writing with all week:

http://www.serve.com/ammaze/xfer/nib-bbk.jpg

I hope your wonderful pictures inspire Nathan T. to make more inks as good as this one.

Viseguy

Thanks for sharing both the review and the pictures.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

Hi, PJohnP. Glad you're getting no creep with Kingfisher. I'm getting a little. Here's the Pelikan B nib I've been writing with all week...

I hope your wonderful pictures inspire Nathan T. to make more inks as good as this one.

Hey Vise !

Interesting. Well, when I use Hunter Green, the ink literally coats the entire nib, and Coral Sea Blue much the same, but complicated in that the surface tension effect of the latter ink can actually draw out a fair part of the reservoir over time (I've had some rather startling effects in both Pelikans and Sheaffer pens).

But the Bad Belted Kingfisher didn't creep at all thus far...

Thanks for the kind comment on the photos. We'll see if Nathan draws any inspiration from them.

Here's another one to pique his creativity.

http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/100855/103346/BCNHBFst9461_M.jpg

Ohhhh, Nathan ???? Are you reading this thread ??? :hmm1:

John P.

Great review, thanks to both you and Viseguy. This is the first Noodler's ink that interests me in a while, I love that blue. Your photos are marvelous, I hope you will post more in the future! My wildlife photos are always blurry--the dang things always move.

Interesting. I haven't noticed much nib creep in Noodler inks (except for BSB - but that's an oddball ink anyway). I've waited for the reviews for BBK and I'm now going to buy a bottle. Thanks for the great pictures and reviews!

- OPG4711

The incessant nib-creep of some of the inks has been a significant barrier for me. I've enjoyed the colours, felt more comfortable with the bulletproof/Eternal nature of some of the inks, but the coating of the nibs has been irritating, and detracted greatly from my enjoyment of these inks.

I've got to tell you, and I hope it's OK to say this. . . . .

I don't get it. Nib creep is something I might possibly notice if somebody actually reminds me to look for it. Upon seeing it, my reaction is to shrug and figure it's a fountain pen nib, it's supposed to be inky. For it to be irritating. . . or worse, for it to detract greatly from enjoying writing. . . is hard for me to fathom.

I recall seeing another post from somebody (I don't remember who it was) saying that he couldn't stand having different colors of ink written in his journal. Flipping through a journal and seeing multiple colors drove him up the wall. I've been writing various colors in my journal since I got it, and it never crossed my mind that they should annoy me or anybody else. I flip through the pages and see different colors and think it's cool, if I think about it at all. (Did you ever have a red letter day?)

I guess a pet peeve is something that can't be explained by logic.

I've got to tell you, and I hope it's OK to say this. . . . .For it to be irritating. . . or worse, for it to detract greatly from enjoying writing. . . is hard for me to fathom... I guess a pet peeve is something that can't be explained by logic.

It's a personal preference, to be sure, but no different than liking or disliking a particular colour or a particular pen in writing on a specific paper. I'm sure you have specific preferences in certain items that you use as well.

If you look at ink reviews, nib-creep is discussed in many reviews, so I'm not alone in disliking this particular attribute with some inks.

And, no, I don't mind your mentioning it... <wry smile>

John P.

Is there a place in Europe I can get this ink? Would really like to try it, but shipping from the US is a bit steep.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got to tell you, and I hope it's OK to say this. . . . .

I don't get it. Nib creep is something I might possibly notice if somebody actually reminds me to look for it. Upon seeing it, my reaction is to shrug and figure it's a fountain pen nib, it's supposed to be inky. For it to be irritating. . . or worse, for it to detract greatly from enjoying writing. . . is hard for me to fathom.

I recall seeing another post from somebody (I don't remember who it was) saying that he couldn't stand having different colors of ink written in his journal. Flipping through a journal and seeing multiple colors drove him up the wall. I've been writing various colors in my journal since I got it, and it never crossed my mind that they should annoy me or anybody else. I flip through the pages and see different colors and think it's cool, if I think about it at all. (Did you ever have a red letter day?)

I guess a pet peeve is something that can't be explained by logic.

Different people notice different things; it's not more logical that you aren't bothered by nib creep. Please note there are degrees of nip creep -- ink can coat the entire pen and drip into the cap -- believe me, it's hard not to notice it.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Okay, you made me look.

I just checked the Sailor Pro Gear/BBK combo with me and there is hardly any nib creep. Less than what is in Viseguy's photo.

And I just realized that I used that pen today to:

1) do a sudoku puzzle on slick paper in an airline magazine;

2) underline an article in a newspaper;

3) make notes in a Staples bagasse pad;

4) make notes on government issue, low-bidder copy paper;

5) scribble on a cheap hotel notepad.

No muss, no fuss. This is some kind of versatile ink.

Bill

I almost bought this ink yesterday, but stopped myself because I am drowning in dark blue ink already. Not to mention that I already have Bad Blue Heron which also does not creep.

:bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

Is there a dictionary on the site for such terms as "nib creep"? What is it (I seen several references to the term now)?

Thanks

Edited by GonzoBernelli

DISCLAIMER: This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.