Pilot Bamboo - Another Japanese Beauty

dandelion

Great review, Petra! Your photos are splendid as well--I like the vintage theme. :)

I don't quite agree with your assessment on the filler, though. The CON-70 is probably the best converter on the market, a true gem. I'd take one of these over many piston fillers! So yes, it is proprietary, but then so would be a piston filler. ;)

I've long wanted one of these pens... seems I'll have to get one eventually. I've notched it up a few pegs on the list. :D

Mille grazie. I know that you are passionate about the CON-70, and I do believe that it is one of the best - maybe the best - converters on the market, but I think Pilot could make the "connection" thingy of the converter in line with international cartridges. Not change the rest, just make it possible to use international cartridges once in a while if the converter breaks or are lost etc etc. I could have been more generous, but I am so tired of these proprietary standards and I saw an opportunity to try to be a little strict in my judgment. :)

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dandelion

• Silvermink

• lexi0514

• Aysedasi

Thanks Lady Dandelion. This is just a gorgeous pen. When will they be available in U.S.? I'd be very interested in buying.

Thanks Lady Dandelion. This is just a gorgeous pen. When will they be available in U.S.? I'd be very interested in buying.

They're available in the US as the Namiki Bamboo from several retailers.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

No, it looks more a like a cigarette holder, Phyllis Diller style.

Anyhow, I have a black bamboo as well, and I really enjoy mine. Time to pull it out of pen storage now!

"... because I am NOT one of your FANZ!" the INTP said to the ESFJ.

I know John Mottishaw sells them at nibs.com. Swisher has the rhodium version - beautiful, but much more expensive.

Yes, I found it at nibs.com and have notified them that I want one.... thanks. It looks like a beautiful pen, can't wait to get it.

• 9 months later...

I've posted a new review of this in my "Reviews Revisited" series at my blog here. It evaluates the original standpoints and tell what I think about it now - after a long period of using it.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/TLIX8jh-OeI/AAAAAAAAiF0/rs4w6JPqXQo/s800/P1180118.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Wonderful review!

do you have any experience with the rhodium model? I am considering a bamboo and wondering which of the two models would prove to be the most durable for daily use.

Thanks,

-Mike

I had a Bamboo for quite a while and recently sold it - it's a great pen to write with in almost every way, but ultimately I just didn't find the section step comfortable.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

• 3 years later...

I always think of you and your fabulous pen collection when I use my Pilot version. The fine nib is delicate and smooth enough to hold the pen near the step lightly enough to be almost sublimely comfortable. This is a pen that elicits deep feelings of calm and contemplation when used.

It, and the matte black Capless keep each other in good company :happycloud9:

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

• 2 months later...

Just bought one from an FPN member. I love the looks and just had to have it. Can't wait for it to arrive from across the pond..... :)

Congratulations. I've admired The Bamboo for a goodly while. Never managed to source one though.

Please post some photos when it arrives. :)

One of the most awesome review of the Pilot Bamboo FP. Love the nib and the whole cap/clip arrangement.

I wish to get hold of one of these and hope they start production soon like the Elite95s.

Thanks for the review,

Sonik

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

My Bamboo arrived today - only 8 days to cross the pond from the US to the UK. And I managed to avoid import duties too!

My goodness, this pen is gorgeous. It's the Marine Blue version. Broad nib, which only just equates to a medium in my eyes (and hands). Writes very well, although I can see it going to Oxonian for an oblique grind in due course. Took me a while to get to grips with the Con70 converter (until I found Brian Goulet's video on how to fill with a Con70 on YouTube). The only vaguely annoying thing is that the section is black, rather than being colour-coded with the rest of the pen. It's a delight to find that the pen is a decent size too. I've had no problems at all with the step to the section. I suppose I ought to have blue ink in it, but it's currently filled with my favourite ink, Kobe Manitogawa Lime..... :)

I'll see if I can take some pics tomorrow.

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......