Rosetta pens, info?

fplover01

I came accross this pen on ebay. Rosetta Northstar . Anyone using it and knowing how it feels? I have never heard of this brand before. are these US manufactured? the nib is obviously german.

Edited by fplover01

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• cuza

• fplover01

• InkyCarl

Hello,

I received one a week or so ago in the Terra di Siena finish, with a B nib.

Right out of the box it felt right. Once I inked-up, it ran like a charm : nib is nice & smooth, although a narrow for a B - my Pelikan M nib is about the same width. The feed is excellent - supplying ink without gasping when writing / drawing at a quick pace. The finish is very fine, and the pen looks very nice, with the black grip and black section on the end of the barrel (mimicking a piston filler perhaps?) I also like the way the cap screws down to seal not only with the threads, but where the cap meets the barrel, which also prevents over-tightening. I enjoy the ergonomics of the grip & balance unposted is real good. The only actual future shortcoming could be the clip, which seems rather loose/wiggly. I suppose there is a bit of 'play' built-in to prevent strain, as the clip is not attached by a ring, but affixed directly to the barrel. Barrel is acrylic / semi-precious resin. Not lacquer over brass.

So, was it worth a wait and 40- odd bucks? Without a doubt!! I look forward to using this pen. The Safaris just got bumped out of the rotation. Oh well.

Are there other good pens out there for this price? Sure, but I reckon you'd have to look for used ones.

Only time will tell how this pen works out.

Best Regards,

Sandy1

P.S. Any other questions, please Post here or if you're bashful, send a PM.

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

A quality Rosetta pen should be made out of stone. :headsmack:

But, the real good point is the Schmidt nib. Have one or two on a variety of pens. All are smooth, even writers and hold up well.

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

A quality Rosetta pen should be made out of stone. :headsmack:

But, the real good point is the Schmidt nib. Have one or two on a variety of pens. All are smooth, even writers and hold up well.

The nib was what made me wonder about these...

thanks to everyone for their comments

I came accross this pen on ebay. Rosetta Northstar . Anyone using it and knowing how it feels? I have never heard of this brand before. are these US manufactured? the nib is obviously german.

I have purchased several Rosetta pens in the past and have been pleasantly surprised by their quality given that they relatively inexpensive. The NorthStar in black is a favourite because of it classic design and good "feel."

Rosetta has introduced a "under $10 fountain pen" called the Explorer that rivals the Pilot 78G. I did experience a minor problem with the Explorer when the cap ring came unglued. Easy fix.

Your NorthStar is the creation of a small mid-west distributor who markets his own line of pens called Rosetta (made in Taiwan). The distributor is active on feeBay as "Streetfair" and through his online store "ipenstore." For the most part, I think you will be pleased with the Northstar should you happen to buy one.

Good luck.

-- cuza

Are there other good pens out there for this price? Sure, but I reckon you'd have to look for used ones.

There's a very nice Amber Marble Haolaili at Isellpens and take a look at the Charles Huberts too.

Ordered a Rosetta Magellan in Burnt Umber F yesterday. Liked its' looks, but the Schmidt (sp?) nib closed the deal.

Now I'm even more impatient. Good to know about the clips.

Edited by Blotto

There's a very nice Amber Marble Haolaili at Isellpens and take a look at the Charles Huberts too.

Ordered a Rosetta Magellan in Burnt Umber F yesterday. Liked its' looks, but the Schmidt (sp?) nib closed the deal.

Now I'm even more impatient. Good to know about the clips.

The clip was okay. The cap "ring" adjacent to the cap opening was what became unglued. I just super glued back in place. No problem. The clip seems to be very firmly attached.

-- cuza

P.S.

The nib is supposed to have an iridium point.

The distance from the end of the grip to the tip of the nib is 15/16", which is a nice expanse of gold plate. goes well with the barrel colours.

BR

S1

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone compare the Northstar to other pens in this price range, such as the Libelle Vortex or a Marquis/Waterford? How about compared to a basic value pen like the Safari?

Can anyone compare the Northstar to other pens in this price range, such as the Libelle Vortex or a Marquis/Waterford? How about compared to a basic value pen like the Safari?

Hi -- I don't have LV or M/W. But from my experience, the Northstar is quite superior to the Safari. The only aspect where the Safari may have an edge is that one can easily change nibs on the Safari. -- BR, S1

i don't have the rosetta, but i have a couple of pens with the same nib and they are great! (retro 51 tornado and bexley simplicity)... assuming it is the same schmidt nib!?

i'm not impressed with the safari (nib or body).

Edited by lovemy51

• 7 months later...

I picked up a Rosetta at the Miami Pen Show several weeks ago. I had never heard of the brand. It has a B Schmidt nib, which as Sandy1 noted above, is not as broad as one would expect. The writing experience is smooth and very pleasant. Ink flow using Private Reserve Velvet Black is smooth. The fit and finish on the pen is quite nice. It is certainly not a luxury pen, but is a fine value for the modest price.

Art

I have 3 so far, and I hope more models come along. I don't require all of my pens to be heavy or brass.

The plastic used for the black models is finished very nicely without ugly mold lines or the not-quite-black look of some low quality plastics. It looks as black and shiny as my Parker Sonnet, and actually beats the black lacquer finish on a recently-produced Sheaffer Prelude.

The parts all fit together nicely.

The Schmidt nib looks and works great.

• 4 years later...

Hello,

I received one a week or so ago in the Terra di Siena finish, with a B nib.

Right out of the box it felt right. Once I inked-up, it ran like a charm : nib is nice & smooth, although a narrow for a B - my Pelikan M nib is about the same width. The feed is excellent - supplying ink without gasping when writing / drawing at a quick pace. The finish is very fine, and the pen looks very nice, with the black grip and black section on the end of the barrel (mimicking a piston filler perhaps?) I also like the way the cap screws down to seal not only with the threads, but where the cap meets the barrel, which also prevents over-tightening. I enjoy the ergonomics of the grip & balance unposted is real good. The only actual future shortcoming could be the clip, which seems rather loose/wiggly. I suppose there is a bit of 'play' built-in to prevent strain, as the clip is not attached by a ring, but affixed directly to the barrel. Barrel is acrylic / semi-precious resin. Not lacquer over brass.

So, was it worth a wait and 40- odd bucks? Without a doubt!! I look forward to using this pen. The Safaris just got bumped out of the rotation. Oh well.

Only time will tell how this pen works out.

Best Regards,

Sandy1

P.S. Any other questions, please Post here or if you're bashful, send a PM.

I could say the same about the $15 Rosetta. Explorer. A smooth writer that is worth more than$15.00. The. German nib is buttery soft and is always wet and ready to write, no hesitations. I wish they would make an F nib model.