My leaky, squeaky pen

Sailor Kenshin

While there's probably no fix for the squeak (I may need a nibmeister), my tomato-colored Waterman Carene has developed a leak right on the horns of the inlaid nib, so I get an inkspot on the same place on my thumb every time I use it.

Any ideas what to look for or what to do?

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• Ghost Plane

• davisgt

• MJ Vesuvius

I'm not sure what to do, but I have the same problem with my Carene, only I get the ink spot on my index finger rather than my thumb. It occurs at the left horn (when looking at the pen straight on) of the inlaid nib. I was wondering if this was the infamous Carene nib creep that GP describes, but I don't usually see any ink on the actual nib itself. It seems to come out of the small space between the horn of the nib and the section. I've only used Waterman Ink in this pen since I received it, so I can't blame it on the Noodler's. I'll be interested to see what people suggest.

Todd

Maaaaan!!!!! It happened again!

I switched out the Carene's cart into a Phileas, and now the Carene is 'empty' but I can still probably write a page or two on vapors, and I was doing so, and I got that same spot!

With the nib facing north, it's the right-hand 'horn' that seems to leak. I am not sure if this qualifies as nib creep.

I love the look of this pen. It was my first expensive pen, too, and I wish I could use it more, but this problem has been there since the beginning.

Anyone else experience this? Any solutions?

While there's probably no fix for the squeak (I may need a nibmeister), my tomato-colored Waterman Carene has developed a leak right on the horns of the inlaid nib, so I get an inkspot on the same place on my thumb every time I use it.

Any ideas what to look for or what to do?

I have the exact same pen and have noticed that a bit of ink shows up uninvited on

those horns of the inlaid nib... but it's never been a problem since I hold the

pen well above that area. Are you really gripping it so far down that you touch the

inlaid nib? If so, try moving your grip up a bit. You'll have better leverage and

control, and might like it...? rolleyes.gif

Also: no squeaking on mine. It seems to like Noodle's Dragon's Napalm, which flows smoothly

and is a good match for the coral red finish. Sweet combo!

– MJ

No clue if it's not the ink. I've had YoL's squeak, but never a Carene. :hmm1: I'm flummoxed. Wondering if the grip so close to the nib is putting the pen at a funky angle? :huh: I hold mine almost back to where the section screws into the body.

So I was writing with my Carene during a meeting today, and I specifically held it higher on the barrel. I didn't touch the horn of the nib at all, and guess what? No ink on the fingertips. Lesson learned.

Todd

But at that price, the pen shouldn't leak from ANYWHERE, no matter how you hold it.

I may take it to a pen show and see what the pen wizards say.

Do, Sailor. I want to know what the problem is.

All mine are luscious, wet, and no leaks once I avoided the super saturated inks prone to nib creep. These are excellent pens and I can't think why yours is misbehaving. The squeak sound has me confused as I can't think why it would make that sound.Sounds almost ink starved, as if it's all getting out the top of the nib rather than going to the tip.

My YoLs have been known to "sing" but those seem to be by-products of the acoustics of nib and body experienced by several YoL owners and have nothing to do with the function. Even when ours do, they're very wet pens.

I think the pen show is in March. Long time to wait!

This Carene has misbehaved since the beginning, as I've mentioned. I never used any ink in it but Waterman and J Herbin. I was so eager to own this pen, and in spite of the fact that I love its look and feel it remains my biggest fountain pen disappointment.

Are you close to other Carene fiends so you could have one play with it and see what they think? If you got it new, I'd take it back if you can. Or send it for servicing.

A Carene is usually a WHOO HOO! moment, not a disappointment.

Alas no other Carene fiends nearby. This will probably have to wait for the pen show as I bought it about ten years ago, maybe more, and knew little about pen-formance back then.

Mine is still a woohoo as far as the look, inlaid nib, and even writeability. I could maybe accept the squeeeeek but not the leak!

*gazes sadly at Carene*

Just curious: if anyone owns other pens with inlaid nibs (eg: Sheaffer Legacy) do you experience the same leakage near the horn?

I have Sheaffer Legacy in various nib sizes, Stub, Broad, Broad Oblique, and Medium; and they all write, OK I'll say it, perfectly. No leaks nor squeaks.

I don't have Carene; but I have other Waterman pens in that relative build category, and they're excellent writing instruments. If it were my pen, and I liked the weight and looks as much as you do, I'd keep looking until the right solution comes along. Once I get a problem pen to write at its potential, it's amazing how much I enjoy writing with it.

Let us know how this one turns out.

Cheers,

Joe