114 replies to this topic

#61 Sonnet

Sonnet

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 14:25

When using Firefox (Mac or Windows), I always get logged out of FPN no matter how many times I check off the "keep me logged in" button. It's better on Safari.
Sometimes I write things (as of 2013
http://katesplace7.wordpress.com/

#62 WendyNC

WendyNC

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 14:33

Does there seem to be any correlation between those accounts whose PMs got scrambled in the upgrade and those accounts now having trouble with this involuntary log out problem?
I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

#63 ArchiMark

ArchiMark

Pen Nut & Pretty Good Guy

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2010 - 17:19

"'any suggestions?"
wish I had.. I know firefox is nifty, but it was problematic on my dead laptop, so when my DT was repaired after a lightening strike, I opted to stay with IE8.. it's been, to my surprise, very reliable.
hope a solution for your issue turns up soon.

Thanks again for your input....

To clarify, most of the time when I'm having these issues are either on my

MacBook OSX SL using Safari for web browser or

on my lil' Hackintosh Dell Mini 9 running OSX Leopard using Firefox for web browser..

As I recall, I also had same issue on my MacBook when running Firefox instead of Safari, but to make sure, I'm going to use Firefox on it for awhile now and see if I still have same problems......

IE is no longer a viable option on a Mac....as the last version of IE for Mac is very old now...

Regarding PM issue in previous post, I notice that there's a Red 'X' to the left of the Conversation that I cannot reply to now. My other conversations do not have this Red 'X" to the left just a gray square...

Why is this Red X there and how can it be undone????

Thanks!

The red X means the other person has deleted this conversation, thus you can't respond to that particular one, but you could start another one.

Thanks for the input on this...

However, just seems strange that the person who just sent me a very positive PM message would delete the conversation....
Digerati & FP Addict
Diplomat #055

*** Please check my for sale posts in Classifieds ***

#64 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• 4,737 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 19:00

"'any suggestions?"
wish I had.. I know firefox is nifty, but it was problematic on my dead laptop, so when my DT was repaired after a lightening strike, I opted to stay with IE8.. it's been, to my surprise, very reliable.

on my lil' Hackintosh Dell Mini 9 running OSX Leopard using Firefox for web browser..

As I recall, I also had same issue on my MacBook when running Firefox instead of Safari, but to make sure, I'm going to use Firefox on it for awhile now and see if I still have same problems......

IE is no longer a viable option on a Mac....as the last version of IE for Mac is very old now...

Regarding PM issue in previous post, I notice that there's a Red 'X' to the left of the Conversation that I cannot reply to now. My other conversations do not have this Red 'X" to the left just a gray square...

Thanks!

The red X means the other person has deleted this conversation, thus you can't respond to that particular one, but you could start another one.

However, just seems strange that the person who just sent me a very positive PM message would delete the conversation....

Yesterday, saw someone attempting to contact someone regarding a sale..he replied In The Sale thread, because her Message Box replied as Full.. I'm adding this as a Clue.. not sure how someone would have completely filled their message box since they were All just 100% emptied 1 month ago.. but suppose that is possible, and: Archie Your poster may have needed to delete mesaages in order to receive new ones..???
So either that may be the reason.. OR, it's another piece of the current issues puzzle????

Posted Image~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#65 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,648 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:03

I also don't like the fact that you can't delete individual replies to save space, but you MUST delete the whole 'conversation.'

Some people might do it by accident.

#66 ArchiMark

ArchiMark

• 2,125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:15

"'any suggestions?"

Thanks!

Yesterday, saw someone attempting to contact someone regarding a sale..he replied In The Sale thread, because her Message Box replied as Full.. I'm adding this as a Clue.. not sure how someone would have completely filled their message box since they were All just 100% emptied 1 month ago.. but suppose that is possible, and: Archie Your poster may have needed to delete mesaages in order to receive new ones..???
So either that may be the reason.. OR, it's another piece of the current issues puzzle????

Interesting idea, pen2paper......

FWIW, still testing FPN forum using Firefox in OSX SL on my MacBook...so far, seems better than on Safari....
Digerati & FP Addict
Diplomat #055

#67 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2010 - 17:43

A new issue-- I changed my Avatar for Christmas, and now I seem utterly unable to change it again. I can remove it entirely, but any attempt to load up a new one sees Rondo Claus back in the pane. Hooray for software updates, eh?

edit

go back and read about it, think you hopld shift key down while reloading page to force refresh

That's got it. One never blames the mods, one blames the software author.

Edited by Ernst Bitterman, 03 January 2010 - 20:30.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

#68 ArchiMark

ArchiMark

• 2,125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2010 - 19:53

A new issue-- I changed my Avatar for Christmas, and now I seem utterly unable to change it again. I can remove it entirely, but any attempt to load up a new one sees Rondo Claus back in the pane. Hooray for software updates, eh?

Think that one can be handled, Ernst.....go back and read about it, think you hopld shift key down while reloading page to force refresh

and just think what problems we'd have if they hadn't upgraded to new improved software.... ;)
Digerati & FP Addict
Diplomat #055

#69 MYU

MYU

... Gravity is the key to it all ...

• Member - Gold

• 4,951 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 21:28

We are looking into a way to consolidate a place where people can report issues. Please stand by. :)
Posted Image
[MYU's Pen Review Corner]

"The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#70 ZeissIkon

ZeissIkon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,247 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 22:11

One never blames the mods, one blames the software author.

Absolutely right. There's no excuse for taking back popular features, removing customization options, and other lazy programming.
Does not always write loving messages.
Does not always foot up columns correctly.
Does not always sign big checks.

#71 capnrefsmmat

capnrefsmmat

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:02

edit

go back and read about it, think you hopld shift key down while reloading page to force refresh

That's got it. One never blames the mods, one blames the software author.

If I read the IPB bug tracker correctly, this should be fixed in the next version, 3.1.

I'd like to also point to my suggested solution for the cookie problem. If a few people could test my hypothesis and see if I'm right, the admins should be able to fix the random log-out problem.

#72 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• 3,525 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2010 - 17:44

I'm celebrating the fact that I've actually got to a page on which to post this, as I can hardly get in at all at the moment - all I get is this over and over again:-

www.fountainpennetwork.com Driver Error
There appears to be an error with the database.
If you are seeing this page, it means there was a problem communicating with our database. Sometimes this error is temporary and will go away when you refresh the page. Sometimes the error will need to be fixed by an administrator before the site will become accessible again.

You can try to refresh the page by clicking here

Is it just me?

#73 Tojusi

Tojusi

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 17:57

I'm celebrating the fact that I've actually got to a page on which to post this, as I can hardly get in at all at the moment - all I get is this over and over again:-

(...)

Is it just me?

Me too all day.

/Tojusi

#74 Ed Ronax

Ed Ronax

Support a pen addict - donate now.

• Member - Gold

• 2,753 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2010 - 18:06

If you are seeing this page, it means there was a problem communicating with our database. Sometimes this error is temporary and will go away when you refresh the page. Sometimes the error will need to be fixed by an administrator before the site will become accessible again.

Is it just me?

Me three, getting a lot of this, I've lost count the number of times I've tried to post this.
And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

#75 penspouse

penspouse

Happy Granny

• Member - Gold

• 3,274 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2010 - 18:20

Me four. It had only happened once a few days ago, but 5 or six time yesterday. This is my first time to the forum today and my FPN bookmark sent me to the error message. I refreshed the page and was OK.

ETA: When I hit the post button I was sent back to the error message.

Edited by penspouse, 06 January 2010 - 18:21.

Soli Deo Gloria

Shameless plug
- Some of my amateur photography.

#76 Bronze

Bronze

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 18:23

Is it just me?

- Yep, me too.

#77 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

• Member - Gold

• 3,525 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2010 - 18:37

Is it just me?

- Yep, me too.

This is beginning to look like a serious problem people.....

#78 contaxrts2

contaxrts2

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 21:20

Getting worse and worse

#79 markc

markc

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2010 - 21:30

Getting tons of database errors now. (Driver Error)
Science is a way of skeptically interrogating the universe with a fine understanding of human fallibility.
-Carl Sagan
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#80 saintsimon

saintsimon

Si tacuisses ...

• Member - Gold

• 2,506 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2010 - 21:46

Same here with WinXP, Firefox and Swisscom 3.5G mobile phone network.:crybaby:

#81 sumgaikid

sumgaikid

Don't mess with the kitteh......

• Member - Gold

• 3,712 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2010 - 22:08

Actually,it's been hitting everyone all day--there are several posts about this .

John
Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

#82 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

• Member - Gold

• 3,525 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2010 - 22:12

Accepting that the admins are probably tearing their hair out even more than the rest of us (and I've little left to tear out....), does anyone with expertise in this sort of thing have any idea why this is happening?

#83 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• 4,737 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 22:34

zero experience, but inquisitive enough to check the IP Board's information board for any known issues..It said there were nonePosted Image
I'm just guessing, but wonder if the huge recent influx from the B Globe article has caused a tilt on this new version???

Posted Image~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#84 ladyinthemists

ladyinthemists

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:48

Thank goodness it isn't only me having trouble getting access in here. I was beginning to think I was doing something wrong. Whew! Now, for this problem to get resolved soon....I hope!
She who laughs, lasts Posted Image

#85 RitaCarbon

RitaCarbon

Aware

• Member - Gold

• 1,719 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:00

My avatar is not here anymore. Did she kill herself or what?
Posted Image"Embrace it! Pens are good."
--artaddict

#86 Ada

Ada

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:01

I'm pleasantly surprised to be reading this thread (or any, really); the "database error" page prevented me from reading any posts at all on my other attempts this evening. However, I'm now seeing a big blank space at the bottom left of the index page where it used to show which members were logged in. I don't mind the absence of the information, but I am wondering if this is true for everyone or a more localized issue.
I've been on a quest to see if I could commit all Seven Deadly Sins in a single day. Finally, it dawned on me I shouldn't try for the One Day Wonder Prize for all seven in one day. It's simply out of any question as you can't commit decent sloth while busily ticking the other six off your crowded "to do" list. -- ViolinWriter

#87 RitaCarbon

RitaCarbon

Aware

• Member - Gold

• 1,719 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:02

Oh, it is still here. But I can't get to my profile. This is the only topic available to express my frustration.Posted Image
--artaddict

#88 LLB

LLB

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:28

I'm pleasantly surprised to be reading this thread (or any, really); the "database error" page prevented me from reading any posts at all on my other attempts this evening. However, I'm now seeing a big blank space at the bottom left of the index page where it used to show which members were logged in. I don't mind the absence of the information, but I am wondering if this is true for everyone or a more localized issue.

#89 LLB

LLB

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:31

[I also have the big blank space at the bottom of the page. In addition, cannot get to the new message shown in "my messenger". Access denied! You don't have permission... apparently now one can be logged in as far as part of the system is concerned, but not for all of it. I'm clearly challenged at this as well since for my first post I have edited Ada's instead of replying to it. LLB]
[quote name='Ada' date='06 January 2010 - 08:01 PM' timestamp='1262836867' post='1370539']

Edited by LLB, 07 January 2010 - 04:35.

#90 RitaCarbon

RitaCarbon

Aware

• Member - Gold

• 1,719 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:36

Are there any updates on what's going on here?
--artaddict