Welcome to www.FountainPenNetwork.com

Admin

Dear FPNers,

Thanks to Cam's generosity (a.k.a The Patron Saint of FPN), we have a new host server and a domain name. We moved last night.

The site should be identical. Your settings, avatars, etc... should be here. If you used a skin other than the default, you might need to change that setting though. That should be the only thing to do, as far as you are concerned.

The search engine should function correctly now, and the new domain name (FountainPenNetwork.com) is easy to remember.

A huge thank you to Cam, and enjoy the new FPN home... which hopefully should look awfully similar to the old one.

Please let us know if you notice any strange behavior, missing posts, messages, etc...

The FPN Admin Team.

This account is unmanaged.
Please direct questions and comments to [email="fpnadmin@gmail.com"]FPN Admin email[/email], or directly to [url="http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/user/17-wimg/"]admin Wim (wimg)[/url].

Thank you very much in advance.

Warm regards,
The FPN Admin Team

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RSVP

• Maja

• wimg

• KendallJ

Top Posters In This Topic

As I understand it, if you changed the default skin you will have to do it again. I never changed mine and the default skin came up fine.

Elaine

Guest Denis Richard

oups... I thought everyone would be reverted to the default skin, but it seems like there was a bit of randomization. Sorry about that.

James, that skin is called Bookmark... it's a cool one I think, but I found it only in French.

Guest Denis Richard

At least one member reported that a PM sent late yesterday did not make it to the new server. If you sent PMs yesterday evening/night, can you please check that they made it ?

You can still log in at the old FPN address, and all PMs should be there, in case you are missing some.

if today is any indicator of future performance on this server, then thank you Denis and Cam. Things seem to be moving very fast and easy.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Thank you so much, Cam! :) It sure is easier to remember this URL...and the "Find all posts by a member" search that didn't work very well on the old server, works perfectly now.

Edited by Maja

James, that skin is called Bookmark... it's a cool one I think, but I found it only in French.

I thought it was a bit early for Bastille Day..lol

:rolleyes: B)

Honesly, I should be given a quota on smilies :doh:

D'oh

THANK YOU!!!

It was a seamless transfer. Judging from the posts of others, this is one improvement that means that things really are better than they were before.

:lol:

George

Pelikan Convert and User

And big thanks to Denis who, by coordinating this transfer, put PT to shame once again. Are they even up yet?

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Hi Kendall,

I would like to second your thanks to Denis! :)

However, no need to "put PT to shame once again". :unsure:

FPN moved because it wanted to, knowing fulll well what to do to achieve this, while PT moved because the host provider decided to, who clearly did not understand the implications.

I can assure you, I have been in a similar situation, and if it is impossible to get hold of a/the helpdesk, in combination with any seeming lack of cooperation, you're just stuck. In my case, it took "only" a day and a half.

Also, PenTrace is a little more complicated and holds a little more information than FPN does. So, no reason to slight it. You may obviously have different opinions on the way the board operates, but that doesn't mean it is less or more, it is an opinion after all. And let me state immediately that I like the tone and atmosphere of this board, but I like other features a lot less. This is also very personal.

BTW, PT is up and running again, well since before your comment, on www.pentrace.net. Actually, you should have seen the banner at the top of the message boards come back, automatically.

Finally, could you please expand on the "once again" bit? Or is this your own opinion and perception? ;)

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Wim, sorry if I appeared to be gloating.

I was under the impression that donal wanted to change over to different server and software and his move wasn't as much forced as opportunistic.

My frustration comes from some of the discussions I have on PT. They continue to complain about some of their problems, and seem to miss the forest for all the trees. We've had several instances where very different opinions got expressed but didnt' degenerate into name calling and the pointless back and forth they have. Idon't think that's an accident. Also, some of their moderation tactis seem to be a little bit draconian (not allowing the posting of links to other boards, come on...) That's really what I meant by "once again".

I am interested to know what sorts of things you don't like about this board. The admins are always looking for ways to improve your experience. Can you elaborate?

Edited by KendallJ

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Hi Kendall,

I don't think you appeared to be gloating, I was just curious.

Donal was going to create a backup for PenTrace, but there was a hitch with the host. It may have been precipited by his request in connection with more space and a backup site, but he wasn't planning on leaving. Now he does, and rightfully so, I think. A bit over a year ago he was planning a move, I think, if I remember correctly, in connection with the message boards (he has them now on different servers). However, the move didn't work, and there were big problems with PT . The current providers (or rather, the guys who sold out to the new owners), managed to get him back up again within a day or so, which is why he stayed.

Forest and tree problems you get everywhere, not only on messageboards, I think. I'm not too worried about that myself. I'll skip if necessary.

Name calling and infighting is certainly one thing I can miss like a headache, and btw, it did happen here too a while ago. The difference is that the moderators here are very quick to correct things, and there are quite a few, too, unlike on PT. And over there there you had the problem of too little interaction backchannel between the moderators too, at least IMO. I don't know how things are now, but generally, Richard and Donal react fairly quickly to problems, other than the infighting.

Unfortunately it is always the same bunch on PT reverting to the name calling etc. tactics. I do get the impression, that the limit has almost been reached now, though, considering the reactions lately, including the back-channeling that goes on. :D

To coem to this board: what I don't like about this board, is the message thread format. It is fine for archival purposes, and finding items of interest fairly quickly, but I do think it interrupts the flow. However, that is just an opinion. I think most people here wouldn't agree with me, and that's fine AFAIAC. It is going to be difficult to combine the advantages of a free flowing board with the message thread structure you have here. I think that would involve a lot of work from the part of the moderators or admins.

OTOH, I do like the fact that you have to log in, that the atmosphere doesn't get violent, and that people generally take comments as being opinions rather than insults :D, or help offered rather than negative criticism. And generally, the happy-go-lucky style and information sharing that just flows so easily here are both very attractive, I think.

Well as Cruyff said: "every advantage has its disavantage" (in Dutch, with Amsterdam accent :D ).

So I guess I'll keep on perusing both boards, PT and FPN :D .

Warm regards,

Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I like both boards' capabilites---FPN to archive posts and the tidy organization of material, and Pentrace's posting "flow" and articles. Both have their pluses and minuses :) The immaturity (posing as serious "debate") of some people on PT has taken away from a lot of the fun lately, but I hope it will improve. The recent Sunday pen photos idea of Chris Burton's (pic hosting by Chris and Dennis Bowden) is a fabulous one....Bravo!