• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• arvadajames

• RitaCarbon

• sonia_simone

• meanwhile

My favorite fountain pen under $20 is a small black and gold Aldo Domani Sorrento. Available at Office Depot with a matching ball point. I like my old Sheaffer NoNonsense pens, but this little Sorrento is smoother.

Judybug

So many pens, so little time!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

:D

Wing Sung 612!! :ph34r:

$6 or so!!!

:huh:

Bob K

Edited by keenevision

Red Sox Tickets...... Birthday Present from wife

Parking...... $15

Tepid Coffee.... $3

Hot Dogs... $12

Popcorn..... $4.50

Foul Ball Caught @ Fenway Park.....PRICELESS!!!

When I receive the pens and have a chance to use them a bit, I will post some comments, probably not full scale review though.

I just received a Wality Eye Dropper this evening, which I purchased from another FPNer. It seems like a great writer, especially at the $9.00 I paid for it! I filled it with Levenger Cocoa and wrote a page with it. It seemed to be on the damp side of medium for ink flow, and the thick side of fine for width. I was awfully impressed! I think I may have a new favorite knock around pen. Plus I don't think I will have to refill the thing for at least a month or so!

--J. Haney

I have to agree with the Esterbrooks, most FP bang for the $$$ :)

I like the Walitys too.

The Duke Mini Torpedo is a great lil' pen for the money.

Jim, I wish I had some Parker 51 parts that would congeal into a pen! :D

One of my best lucky deals was a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel for under $20. A O-Ring and a sac later, it's one of my favs.

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

Considering how much I despised these pens when I first wrote with one, I can't believe I'm about to say this...

The Parker Vector

Not just any ol' Parker Vector straight off the grocery store shelf, mind you, but one upon whose nib Dillon has worked a little magic.

Dillon laid out some serious nibmeister hoodoo and now my "Ang-stubbed" Parker Vector is an absolute dream.

t!

flippin' like a pancake

poppin' like a cork

I used a Vector in college and it was actually excellent.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Hero 329 -- No one does cheap like the Chinese and this is the best way to find out whether you'd like buy a Parker "51." (You will, sooner or later, buy one, so might as well have a taste now).

Sorry - this isn't true! The pens look similar, but they are very different to hold. The 51 isn't just wider, it's quite a different shape: the 51 is a long egg and the 329is more of a pointy cylinder. Holding them is quite different - they are as different from each other as my Balance and Targa.

I find the 329 impossible to use for long - much to slim for largeish Western male hands, but the 51 is a dream.

(The Hero 100 seems to be a much nicer pen to hold than the 329, but I haven't had a chance to use one for long. Its nib writes exactly like a 51, which isn't true of a 329 - $30ish at www.isellpens.com)

- Jonathan

Thanks for this thread, arvadajames. I look forward to hearing how you like your stable of new pens.

This thread reminds me that there really are a number of nice FP's available for under $20, and especially under $30. I remain an Esterbrook fan, and I like Parker 51's and 45's. Those are some of my favorite pens of all time. I have an order pending from isellpens, so I cannot yet comment on any Hero pens.

Through the years, I have developed a fondness for Pelikano and Pelikano Jr. FP's. They are very affordable, and, as school pens, they are nearly armor plated. The nibs are M only, and they are cartridge pens, sure, but they do write nicely. The Pel Jr. actually fits better in my hand than the Peliano, and I can write with one very comfortably for a long time at one sitting. When I travel, I have a Duofold International that I like to carry, but my back up pens (believe it or not) are a couple of Pelikano Jrs.

Parker Frontier

Parker Vector

Parker 45

Have them with F nibs.

If there was a F nib for Pelikan Go! it would be my favourite.

Sailor 1911 | Pilot Capless | Waterman Expert | Montblanc 149

Guest RedSquirrel

I have just bought 3 Pelikan GO's with F nibs :)

I've actually bought 5 user grade Parker "51"s at under $30 on ebay. I'm not saying it is typical, but they do come up once in a while. Now THAT's a great $30 pen!

Ron

Ron

Favorite Pens: Parker "51"Lamy 2000; Bexley America the Beautiful; Pilot Custom 823, 912 and 74; Sheaffer Early Touchdown; Parker Vacumatic; Sheaffer Legacy

Ah, Retro 51 fountain. Got that for less than $15.

Writes like an angel gliding on clouds.

Sturdy and durable too. If I knew I was gonna' be lost in the desert or woods for a few weeks (which I don't necessarily hope ever happens), this is the FP I want w/me.

And I hope I get to try the other $20 and under pens mentioned here :) .

I have just bought 3 Pelikan GO's with F nibs :)

I thought they come only with M nibs... ;)

Sailor 1911 | Pilot Capless | Waterman Expert | Montblanc 149

Nice little Crocodile from isellpens.com (no affiliation)

Those who get too big for their britches will be exposed in the end.

The Tryphon Liu is a great little pen for $20. OldGriz did a review of it here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...?showtopic=8026

I bought his and it is a fantastic pen for the price. A medium weight, substantial feeling pen with a very smooth nib.

Other great pens for under $20 would be Esterbrooks and Wality.

Ron

Ron

Favorite Pens: Parker "51"Lamy 2000; Bexley America the Beautiful; Pilot Custom 823, 912 and 74; Sheaffer Early Touchdown; Parker Vacumatic; Sheaffer Legacy

Hi,

Pelikanos are favorites. :)

Dillon

Edited by Dillo

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon