Photo

Which brand makes the tallest and fattest desk pens?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pepin

Pepin

Institutionalized

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:26

I have noticed that desk pens get shorter and thinner over time. For the early desk pens, which model (and from which brand) stands out the most due to size?
A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

#2 Roger W.

Roger W.

Irish Wolfhound

• Member - Gold

• 2,811 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 21:16

Pepin;

Strangely, large did not seem to be a desirable attribute in desk pens - long but, not large. Sheaffer never made anything greater than a medium width desk pen at .445" (11mm). Parker with their pen that converts into a senior Doufold is the largest that I have at .525" (13mm). The Parker is slightly shorter than the Sheaffer at 8 1/4" to the Sheaffers' 8 3/8". I am not aware of any maker that made larger in the classic period. There are modern Japanese desk pens that are quite immense - I've seen them but, I don't have any for comparison.

Roger W.

Posted Image
Largest Sheaffer I could find next to black and pearl w/matching taper and marine green w/matching taper.

Posted Image
The black and pearl is a 3-25

Posted Image
Largest Sheaffer next to the lapis Parker (I usually have the Parker inked up and in use as it is now)

#3 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• 1,998 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:26

The big #7-size Waterman desk pens are similar in size to the Duofold Seniors.

#4 tonybelding

tonybelding

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:08

For whatever it's worth, I have an Omas Extra desk pen that's about 8-1/4" long and about 1/2" diameter (I don't have my caliper handy though). The glass base has a footprint about 5-3/4 X 3-3/4, so it definitely has some presence, moreso than my brown-striped Triumph. The Omas has a semi-flex nib too, it's pretty nifty. :)

#5 Pepin

Pepin

Institutionalized

• Member - Gold

• 1,599 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:31

The reason I ask is that I own a Wahl gold seal desk set in rosewood hard rubber. The pens are huge! Much wider in girth and taller than even my striated tiger eye wartime Sheaffer Vacum-fil triumph desk pens.

As an aside, was Sheaffer the only manufacturer that made desk pens which can be screwed tightly inside the humidor/trumpet holders? My Wahl desk pens fit very poorly inside the trumpet humidor, tending to lean to one side rather than standing straigh. My pens and holders look identical to the black set posted by another FPNer:
http://media.photobu...rpDeskSet_1.jpg

Edited by Pepin, 27 November 2009 - 11:31.

A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.