Lamy Safari

Mrsal

I. Appearance and design- 7

well, when i was looking at these on line, i thought that they had quite a shocking appearance, with the huge clip and all. when i got it in the mail, however, i got over the way that i looked, the clip really isnt that big, and it just looks plain better when you have it right in front of you.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af71/salleggieri/DSC02062.jpg

II. Construction and quality-9

this is a sturdy pen. seriously, you could probly throw one of these across the room and nothing would happen except for some ink leakage. i do not reccommend this though, not one of the smartest thing to do with a 25 dollar pen!

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af71/salleggieri/DSC02072.jpg

III. Weight and dimensions- 8

this is a seriously light pen, my lightest actually, and it is thin and long. not the best combo, but it is what most people prefer.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af71/salleggieri/DSC02076.jpg

IV. Nib and performance- 6

this is where the pen got pretty dissapointing for me. this nib was SCRATCHY and the flow was HORRIBLE! so i got out a knife, some brown paper bag, and a bottle of ink. after running the length of the tines with the knife, i put the nb back one, worked on the brown bag a little, and all was good. now it has a good flow, is pretty smooth, and is nice to use.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af71/salleggieri/DSC02073.jpg

V. Filling system and maintenance- 8

nothing to see here, just your standard C/C filler. quick, convenient, and simple to use.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af71/salleggieri/DSC02075.jpg

VI. Cost and value-9

well i dont think that you can get a better deal than one of these. although mine did need a little work at first, most people say that theirs are great out of the box.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mrsal

• MYU

• jacksterp

• nicolasbdive

Nice review Sal!

Btw, I Did drop mine on my wood floor to check for ink leakage in the cap, for a new poster today..

Passed with flying colors-knew it would...since it's sailed across cement, been lost in a hot car for week+, and frosted in a fridge.

Wondering of you flushed your new pen before knifing, and brown bagging? (must say that caused my eyebrows to arch a tad:)

When I 1st used my Safari I found it scratchy too.. after cleaning, and using-it just seated in and became a great, non-skipping, wet, always reliable pen. Abuse it, and it starts the moment it touches paper.

Nice review Sal!

Btw, I Did drop mine on my wood floor to check for ink leakage in the cap, for a new poster today..

Passed with flying colors-knew it would...since it's sailed across cement, been lost in a hot car for week+, and frosted in a fridge.

Wondering of you flushed your new pen before knifing, and brown bagging? (must say that caused my eyebrows to arch a tad:)

When I 1st used my Safari I found it scratchy too.. after cleaning, and using-it just seated in and became a great, non-skipping, wet, always reliable pen. Abuse it, and it starts the moment it touches paper.

thanks p2p, i did flush it out a few times before i too the knife to it, i actually did this after 3 days of disappointment, just to keep things right in the pen world:)

Nice review! I like my Vista. The nibs run a bit wide; though.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

Nice review. I own 2 Safaris, Charcoal and the Vista. Real workhorses and write wonderfully. Nice thing with the Lamys is that you can interchange the nibs. I also own the Joy, Studio, and have the 2000 on order. Probably my favorite pen company. Good luck with your new pen.

"Let us cross over the river and sit in the shade of the trees." Final words of General 'Stonewall' Jackson (d.1863) when killed in error by his own troops at the battle of Chancellorsville.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

wonderful.

Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right

to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers,

and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. Revelation 22:14-15

great pics, I think we have anouther Henry Louis in the making on our hands

A Proud 14 Year Old Fountain Pen User!

What I want:[/color]

Aurora Talentum

Pilot Custom 823 Amber Bought on 4.1.10

Lamy 2000

Omas Paragon

Sailor Realo

Mrsal, your review photos just keep getting better and better. Nicely done! I like the composition of displaying the Safari on a bed of grass and leaves. Like the name implies, a product to be used in nature.

I like that yellow, too. It has a deep and rich appearance, like a warm cadmium yellow. Is the color balance of the images very close to what you see for real?

Sorry to hear your nib was scratchy out of the box. You didn't mention it, but I take it that the nib is a fine? I have one of these on my Safari and it emerged from the packaging butter smooth. Despite the flaw, it's good to hear you were able to correct it to your liking. Anyway, these nibs are very affordable and you can purchase many different sizes--a rather key advantage over a brand like Pelikan, which charges about 3-4 times for additional nibs.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Congrats! I recently received my yellow Safari (EF), lovin' it. I've been using a charcoal Safari (F) daily and decided to get something more colorful to go with it. I'm currently using green ink in the charcoal pen and brown in the yellow...exploring some different options. Enjoy your pen, your pics are great!

-B.N.B-

"If there is no wind, row." ~Latin Proverb

Nice review, can you provide more details about what you did with a knife to help the nib be less scratchy? I have a studio with a scratchy F that I would like to improve. And did you just write on a brown bag afterwards and that helped too?

thanks everyone!

Mrsal, your review photos just keep getting better and better. Nicely done! I like the composition of displaying the Safari on a bed of grass and leaves. Like the name implies, a product to be used in nature.

I like that yellow, too. It has a deep and rich appearance, like a warm cadmium yellow. Is the color balance of the images very close to what you see for real?

Sorry to hear your nib was scratchy out of the box. You didn't mention it, but I take it that the nib is a fine? I have one of these on my Safari and it emerged from the packaging butter smooth. Despite the flaw, it's good to hear you were able to correct it to your liking. Anyway, these nibs are very affordable and you can purchase many different sizes--a rather key advantage over a brand like Pelikan, which charges about 3-4 times for additional nibs.

thanks, it was an absolutely beautiful day out yesterday and i could not refuse my urge to go take some pics! yes, the yellow is a nice color, its warm and vibrant. oh, and it is a fine nib, and its gotten much bettor over the past few days

Nice review, can you provide more details about what you did with a knife to help the nib be less scratchy? I have a studio with a scratchy F that I would like to improve. And did you just write on a brown bag afterwards and that helped too?

hi kurtorius, all i did with the knife was run it down the length of the tines to open them up a little bit, and then i used the brown paper bag to smooth it out.

I really enjoyed the simplicity of this review! It made me look a little more closly at the Safari and pushed me over the edge to order one for myself. An EDC pen I guess. Good job on the review Mrsal.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

There has been a rash of Amex commercials that capture inanimate objects (and some combinations) that mimic a frown or smile. Looking at the Safari clip with the pen standing up, it's definitely a smile. ;)

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/MYU701/LamySafari-smiles.jpg

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

• 3 weeks later...

IV. Nib and performance- 6

this is where the pen got pretty dissapointing for me. this nib was SCRATCHY and the flow was HORRIBLE! so i got out a knife, some brown paper bag, and a bottle of ink. after running the length of the tines with the knife, i put the nb back one, worked on the brown bag a little, and all was good. now it has a good flow, is pretty smooth, and is nice to use.

Curious. I have one Safari with a F nib and it's one of the smoothest pens I've ever used. Actually, every Lamy I've ever tried has been pretty smooth. Also, I've never experienced flow issues with any of my Lamys. I think yours was somehow defective.

it looks great in its natural habitat, great pics!

I'm a little hot potato right meow

"no they are not making littler ponies, they are EMBRACING"

I opened a box of cheerios and planted them. I thought they were doughnut seeds. They didn't sprout :( (joke of the week)

I have been dickering with myself for a lot of months about getting a Safari. I think your pictures sold me. Problems now are: what color? and what nib? Although the nib problem is easily resolved since the substitute nibs are relatively inexpensive. Whoops! Forgot one more problem: How to justify this to my wife. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

There will be no crisis this week. My calendar is already full.

• 4 weeks later...

I own an orange limited edition. This is a well constructed and sturdy pen to use with a good balance on hand. Moreover, changing nib is pretty easily using a sticky tape. Nonetheless, having used fountain pens for almost forty years, I consider the combination of components in the Hicks pen the best as not many pen can write right out of the shirt pocket.

• 2 years later...

I find the Lamy Safari's to be very well made pens and a good value for the price. Great review!

Edited by Marco Polo Pen Company

I love the yellow color. Reminds me of one of these (yellow Lambo). Honestly, I keep trying not to like my Safari, but the darn thing is more reliable than a Honda.

Thanks for the review!

Edited by tomgartin

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested. :)