Diamine Majestic

dandelion

Demonstrating the meaning of YMMV:

I just emptied a MB 149 of Majestic ink: no remaining stain in the inkview.

Also, neither feathering nor slow drying time than the usual suspects.

gary

Nice to hear that someone else share my trouble free experience of the Majestic. I actually started to wonder if I had been too positive...It is interesting that the experience - based on experience - can vary so much.

I don’t think your review is too positive. It is a very good review of a lovely coloured ink. It is just I have had a few flow problems with dry pens. I use Majestic blue in other pens and I have not noticed any staining problems.

For my 2c your review is about right. I use this ink as my top favourite, it is better

lubricated that noodlers borealis or bulletproof black. No clogging, the nib dries

out uncapped in about 2 minutes whereas imperial blue will go 5 mins or more in the

same pen, so the heavy saturation does make some difference. The colour is simply

beautiful, a lovely dark blue, yet not so blue it looks black.

Cheers

Adrian

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lloyd

• dandelion

• HenryLouis

• vans4444

Agree with all the good feedback. It's a lovely blue, and as others have noted, and can sometimes show a deep reddish hue, though that varies enormously with paper and lighting. The red shows more with broad and/or wet nibs, but it shows quite delicate tone variations and shading in medium nibs too. I find that it flows well, but after a few days in my P51 M nib it seems to clog a bit or at least make for slightly scratchy writing, while my P51 B flows on and on and on, smooth as a lounge lizard. I've been trying it against Diamine Midnight Blue and on balance I think the Majestic comes out ahead, although the Midnight does show some quite subtle shading especially with a semiflex nib.

Also, one drop of water will make diamine majestic totally disappear.

Hi,

actually not. This is a pretty water resistant ink. Not to the level of the

noodlers bullet proof for sure, but it stays put on the page reasonably

well. I tried a wash test on cheap copy paper and on my notebook at work.

Cheers

Adrian

Can anyone else back this up? If so, I may have to order this ink!

Just did a quick test on some cartridge paper, rinsing under the tap for about 10 seconds.

The darker parts of the ink washed away, leaving a bright blue, and quite readable, remnant.

However, the paper made the ink mobile again and it started to spread through the paper, but it was cartridge paper.

I would imagine that it would survive normal spills on normal paper, so long as you mopped the water/tea/coke up quickly.

Edited by dcwaites

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Also, one drop of water will make diamine majestic totally disappear.

Hi,

actually not. This is a pretty water resistant ink. Not to the level of the

noodlers bullet proof for sure, but it stays put on the page reasonably

well. I tried a wash test on cheap copy paper and on my notebook at work.

Cheers

Adrian

Can anyone else back this up? If so, I may have to order this ink!

Just did a quick test on some cartridge paper, rinsing under the tap for about 10 seconds.

The darker parts of the ink washed away, leaving a bright blue, and quite readable, remnant.

However, the paper made the ink mobile again and it started to spread through the paper, but it was cartridge paper.

I would imagine that it would survive normal spills on normal paper, so long as you mopped the water/tea/coke up quickly.

Hi,

that's about what I see as well. Compared to some inks that just seem to

wash away totally without trace the majestic is still perfectly readable,

but its pretty obvious it has been washed as well. You can still read

your notes fine after the wash.

Cheers

Adrian

Great that you performed these watertests, Adrian and Dcwaites! Good to know that it takes more than a few drops to make Majestic into an unreadable blur.

Edited to add that I still haven't any problems with flow or drying time. Very interesting with those differing experiences.

Edited by dandelion

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

I tried to like Majestic Blue, but it wasn't anything special.

What do you prefer?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Just picked up bottle after lunch, the big question, which pen to ink up?

"Life moves pretty fast, if you do not stop and look around once and a while you might just miss it."

Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

Majestic Blue sounds very similar to Sailor Blue - a dark, highly saturated, great flowing, smooth-writing blue with a slight red tinge. Sailor Blue has the added benefit of decent water resistance but the downside of greater cost. Can anybody who has lived with these two inks share their thoughts?

Majestic Blue sounds very similar to Sailor Blue - a dark, highly saturated, great flowing, smooth-writing blue with a slight red tinge. Sailor Blue has the added benefit of decent water resistance but the downside of greater cost. Can anybody who has lived with these two inks share their thoughts?

I use both and would say that the Majestic is a far more vibrant, full bodied and deep blue - even though I like the Sailor. I posted a comparison of blues here a while ago - both Majestic and Sailor are represented.

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

I use both and would say that the Majestic is a far more vibrant, full bodied and deep blue - even though I like the Sailor. I posted a comparison of blues here a while ago - both Majestic and Sailor are represented.

I completely agree. Majestic is certainly a deeper blue than the Sailor. Sailor is still a good looking blue and is very well behaved.

I'm using Majestic today in a Lamy Studio. Great ink. It has a red tinge, but only on cheaper paper. Not on my Clrairefontaine paper.

Just received the small bottle of this ink from the UK today, filled a Lamy 2000 XF. Very nice saturated blue color (I do see the red tints), great shading, great flow and lubrication. This may very well become my favorite blue ink, and I may have to order a large bottle soon.

Edited by bhbarto

• 4 weeks later...

I recently received a sample of this and tried it today. Wow! What a nice color. I put it in a Sheaffer cartridge pen, in a red, plastic barrel, no converter. Will report on how well it washes out.

This ink flows nicely, has a very pleasant feel in writing, and looks splendid with the fine nib. This ink is definitely on the to-buy list.

May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

Thank your for the review, Dandelion, the ink is really wonderful in all its aspects, including a decent water resistance, with the only issue of being the only Diamine that takes long to flush completely out of the pen. Still nothing too bothersome. Flow, color and performance make of this ink one of the most remarkable blues in the market and speaks by itself about the mastery achieved and offered to the customers by Phil. Lovely hand, by the way.

Dandelion, thank you very much for your review and comparisons. :)

Even on the monitor, the Midnight looks a tad wan compared to the Majestic. I was so fascinated by the ink, that I forgot to thank you in my earlier post.

May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

I like my midnight more... Better behaved, but it could be better.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

I like my midnight more... Better behaved, but it could be better.

How is Majestic Blue poorly behaved?

Oscar Wilde

maybe i had a bad bottle but mine took a while to dry & it had feathering on paper i use daily...

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

Can anyone else comment on if MajBlue will feather with a flex nib?

Oscar Wilde