Bent nib on Star Trek Fountain Pen

autopatch

Dear Fountain Pen Network -

While in Las Vegas a few years ago, I visited the LV Hilton Star Trek Experience gift shop, I purchased a logo'ed fountain pen from them. There is no manufacturer listed on the box or on the pen. I've called the gift shop managment, but of course theywere unable to tell me where they obtained them from. A message was passed to their "shopper" but I never got a return phone call. I understand that finding replacement parts is much more difficult if you don't know the manufacturer.

The pen is oblong black coated steel with chrome tips. In the middle of the pen body is three rubber "O" rings set around a chrome cylinder. On the side of the cap is a screen printed "Star Trek Experience" logo.

The nib has been bent by accident, and I'm looking for a way to replace it. The nib / cartridge holder unscrews completely out of the pen body, so in theory any nib / cartridge with the same screw diameter / thread count will fit it. Unfortunately I don't know enough about where to locate such parts to even begin to start matching up a replacement.

If anyone has seen this pen, knows who it's manufacturer is, or is interested in seeing photos of the pen / it's parts, or can explain how to dissasemble / replace the nib, please let me know.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance or assistance that the group can provide.

Thanks,

Chris

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• autopatch

• zorroflores

• OldGriz

• Richard

Chris,

Please post a picture of the pen and also the nib/feed assembly unscrewed from the body....

It is very possible that it might be the same nib/feed assembly I use on my custom kit pens....

If so I might be able to help you....

Unless the nib is seriouslyh damaged by having been bent, it is probably repairable. I can straighten nibs that others have given up for lost.

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

Hi,

A replacement nib might be the way to go here if it is doable.

I can also straighten hopelessly bent nibs.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Thank you all. As soon as I get home tonight from my buisiness trip I'll post pictures of the pen and nib assembly.

Thank you again for your responses.

Can't help with the nib, but I am also looking forward to the picture! Can't imagine what the fountain pens of the future is supposed to look like! :P

Mundus Vult Decipi, Decipiatur Ergo

These are slightly blurry, I'll get better images on Friday. The first picture shows the three main pieces, and the fourth shows the nib unscrewed from the bottom of the pen. The pictures of the nib itself didn't come out at all, sorry.

http://www.chrismarshall.us/images/three_pieces.jpg

http://www.chrismarshall.us/images/four_pieces.jpg

http://www.chrismarshall.us/images/nib_front.jpg

http://www.chrismarshall.us/images/nib_back.jpg

Thanks,

Chris

Chris, unfortunately, you are going to have to show much much sharper pictures than that, and especially of the nib assembly. You really can't tell anything from these.

Hi Autopatch,

My guess yours is a generic IPG nib (Iridium Point Germany), see this picture of one of mine:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/zorroflores/Plumas%20fuente/GenericIGP.jpg

(Ok, blurry too, so you catch the idea :P )

They are quite common and it probably will cost less to buy a generic pen to canibalize the nib than repair it, something in the range of the 12 to 15 USD plus shipping, please others correct me if I am wrong.

Regards

Carlos Flores

Hello again,

I think I got your pen here: www.isellpens.com, it is almost at the bottom of the page.

http://www.isellpens.com/Images/other%20brands/AERO%20BLACK%20CIGAR%20FP1.JPG

Looks like a generic Chinese nib. This may actually be a good opportunity to upgrade to a better nib, something like a Schmidt plated steel one, cheap and a better writer and should fit the Chinese feed.

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....

Carlos -

Wow, that is amazing. Thanks so much for identifying the pen with the poor pictures in only a few hours ... when I get home I'll get clearer pictures just for the record. I'll definitely contact that company you mentioned since they're only $10 each.

To get my terminology straight, there's the metal nib that rests on a plastic carrier / tube which is screwed into the lower body, then the reservoir is snapped in, then that whole assembly is screwed into the upper body.

When repairs are done, is it possible to separate the metal from the plastic, or is the "nib" the whole assembly that receives the cartridge? Where would one buy a nib assembly?

Thanks again for the all assitance, I really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris,

The nib is the metallic part you write with, the plastic part beneath the nib is called the feed, they can be separated. Ask Todd at isellpens for a nib, he can have it as spare but it will be much more easy to just screw a new assembly.

Also, if decided to go by replacing just the nib, why not upgrade as suggested by Tryphon?, better writing and that wil set you definitively in course for pen mania...

Best regards

Carlos Flores

Edited by zorroflores

Carlos -

Now that I have a pen I feel comfortable experimenting with, I'll definitely look around for a better nib and do the upgrade. I have a few dozen fountian pens of various stripe in my collection, but I've only used them to write with, never yet to maintain or upgrade.

Time to start a new adventure!

Cheers,

Chris