joris

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:29

Hello,

There is controversy on the exact production period of the Parker 41 fountain pen. Serious sources mention that this pen was short lived, being introduced around 1950 and phased out already in 1951. This short production date suggests that Parker 41s might exist only in limited numbers and some sellers use this argument to justify high selling prices.

I have a comment on this controversy but I am not sure whether it will solve it.
One regularly finds Parker 41 sets that match a 41 fountain pen with a 41 Liquid Lead pencil. The caps of these pens (both the fountain pen en LL pencil) are definitely marked "41" and you regularly find them with the additional marking "Made in USA". The Parker liquid lead pencil was however introduced only in 1955. I therefore expect that the Parker 41 fountain pen was still for sale in 1955, and that it was still produced in the USA.

This may not rule out the exact production date but it appears unlikely that the Parker 41 fountain pens in these sets were produced in 1950-51, just to put them to rest until 1955 to sell them with the newly introduced 41 Liquid Lead pencil.

Is this a good argument to suppose that the Parker 41 was indeed produced way beyond 1951?

Best regards,
Joris

#2 algabatz

algabatz

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 October 2009 - 14:02

Hello,

There is controversy on the exact production period of the Parker 41 fountain pen. Serious sources mention that this pen was short lived, being introduced around 1950 and phased out already in 1951. This short production date suggests that Parker 41s might exist only in limited numbers and some sellers use this argument to justify high selling prices.

I have a comment on this controversy but I am not sure whether it will solve it.
One regularly finds Parker 41 sets that match a 41 fountain pen with a 41 Liquid Lead pencil. The caps of these pens (both the fountain pen en LL pencil) are definitely marked "41" and you regularly find them with the additional marking "Made in USA". The Parker liquid lead pencil was however introduced only in 1955. I therefore expect that the Parker 41 fountain pen was still for sale in 1955, and that it was still produced in the USA.

This may not rule out the exact production date but it appears unlikely that the Parker 41 fountain pens in these sets were produced in 1950-51, just to put them to rest until 1955 to sell them with the newly introduced 41 Liquid Lead pencil.

Is this a good argument to suppose that the Parker 41 was indeed produced way beyond 1951?

Best regards,
Joris

I've been putting off the update of my Parker "41" page, but Your posting definitely put me up to it.

Please read the corrected version of the Parker "41" chapter:

http://parkercollect...m/parker41.html

Regards,
Tony

#3 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 14:55

Well done, Tony.
There's a lot of basic research that no one's bothered to do, even now. Look at all the varying production dates given for the Parker 180, for another example.

#4 joris

joris

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2009 - 15:14

Hi Tony, many thanks for the update. My post was not intended to criticize your website. On the contrary, your website clearly represents an outstanding source of Parker pen information which I highly enjoy reading. Thus the controversy on the production period of the Parker 41 still exists but now I understand that it is about the possible continued production in the 1960's, not the 1950's. Thanks again!

#5 algabatz

algabatz

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,398 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2009 - 19:23

Hi Tony, many thanks for the update. My post was not intended to criticize your website. On the contrary, your website clearly represents an outstanding source of Parker pen information which I highly enjoy reading. Thus the controversy on the production period of the Parker 41 still exists but now I understand that it is about the possible continued production in the 1960's, not the 1950's. Thanks again!

You're welcome. I'm a bit ashamed, since I've knowingly allowed bad information to remain on the site. I'm sure there are many more errors and mistakes, but at least I don't know that it's wrong ;-=

Thanks for Your kind words

/Tony

#6 algabatz

algabatz

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,398 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2009 - 19:25

Well done, Tony.
There's a lot of basic research that no one's bothered to do, even now. Look at all the varying production dates given for the Parker 180, for another example.

Well, I just finished the Parker Multy, and I'm currently working on the Parker Minim, the European Duofolds and the Vector/Arrow/95-family. So I'm getting closer to the 180!

/Tony