236 replies to this topic

#211 Parker Pete

Parker Pete

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:40

Hi Pen People,We will meet at the Tower Hotel, Hawthorn Bistro 6.30pm for a meal & 7.30 on Monday 8th October. Our speaker will be Barry Apelbaum. Barry will enlighten us on 'Wahl Eversharp fountain pens - masterpieces of style in the Art Deco era'. In short, it would involve a presentation of pens and pencils from the Deco Band and Doric ranges. Look forward to seeing you there.Cheers,
Peter Hickman
0417 377 813

peterhickman@bigpond.com

#212 Parker Pete

Parker Pete

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:44

It would be nice to see faces old & new. We will also discuss our Display Table @ Melb. Pen Show & all are welcome to display on our table.

Hi Pen People,We will meet at the Tower Hotel, Hawthorn Bistro 6.30pm for a meal & 7.30 on Monday 8th October. Our speaker will be Barry Apelbaum. Barry will enlighten us on 'Wahl Eversharp fountain pens - masterpieces of style in the Art Deco era'. In short, it would involve a presentation of pens and pencils from the Deco Band and Doric ranges. Look forward to seeing you there.Cheers,
Peter Hickman
0417 377 813

peterhickman@bigpond.com

#213 Shangas

Shangas

Sealing wax and other fancy stuff...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,939 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 September 2012 - 14:11

I'll be there with bells on.
"I, the proud owner of a fountain pen!" - Anne Frank.
Political Correctness [Definition]: A pitiful attempt by mankind to please all, disguise the truth, and fail at both.
"Not Yet Published". My Writing and History Blog.

#214 Shangas

Shangas

• Member - Gold

• 6,939 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2012 - 00:14

MELBOURNE PEN GROUP - CHRISTMAS MEETING

Posted Image

MONDAY 10th DECEMBER 2012

Our last meeting of the year! Show up and discuss the recent pen-show, and any other interesting things that happened to you in the world of pens.

Usual venue-details and times apply.

Edited by Shangas, 30 November 2012 - 00:20.

Political Correctness [Definition]: A pitiful attempt by mankind to please all, disguise the truth, and fail at both.

#215 Parker Pete

Parker Pete

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 00:40

Hi Pen People,We will meet at the Tower Hotel, Hawthorn Bistro 6.30pm for a meal & 7.30 on Monday 10th December. As the Silly Season looms, a show & tell session of your recent finds at the Pen Show or elsewhere is in order as we have not had one this year. Look forward to seeing you there.Cheers,
Peter Hickman
0417 377 813

peterhickman@bigpond.com

#216 Parker Pete

Parker Pete

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 22:35

Hi MPG People,
Great meeting last night. Thanks to David & James for showing us some of your latest additions. Also Paul, who showed us his quirky pens with interesting feeds & nibs. Always good to see new faces & their unique spin on pen collecting. Next meeting (in Feb '13) is not to be missed. James is going to give us a crash course in finding & purchasing pens on the net. 10 odd years ago, James gave us Ebay 1.01, so don't miss this insightful update!

#217 Shangas

Shangas

• Member - Gold

• 6,939 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:23

Melbournians of the Network.

Our next meeting is MONDAY the 11th of FEBRUARY, 2013. This is our FIRST MEETING of the year.

Time and location are the same as always.

Tower Hotel, Burwood Road, Hawthorn. 6:30pm, starting with dinner, as always.

#218 Parker Pete

Parker Pete

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:14

Hi Pen People,Our first meeting of 2013 should follow on a roll from last year's meetings with truly excellent quality presentations from some of our regular attendees as well as invited guests. On Monday 11th February, we will meet at the Tower Hotel, Hawthorn Bistro. 6.30pm for a meal & 7.30, a presentation by James Pergyl. 10 odd years ago, James gave us Ebay 1.01 ..... 2013 and James is going to give us a crash course in finding & purchasing pens on the net, so don't miss this insightful update! Look forward to seeing you there.Cheers,
Peter Hickman
0417 377 813

peterh1932@gmail.com

#219 Shangas

Shangas

• Member - Gold

• 6,939 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2013 - 00:28

Posted Image

#220 parnesh

parnesh

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:36

Posted Image

Will try and attend.

#221 Newjelan

Newjelan

Collectors Item

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:41

Oh well, I will be in NZ for the April and June meetings. I may also be there for the August one. Posted Image I will get there eventually, I think! Posted Image Enjoy!

#222 Shangas

Shangas

• Member - Gold

• 6,939 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:25

Our next meeting is in two weeks, folks!

#223 Parker Pete

Parker Pete

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:28

Hi Pen People,We will meet at the Tower Hotel, Hawthorn Bistro 6.30pm for a meal & 7.30 on Monday 15th April. This meeting, we will be privileged to have Max run us through the history of Parker pens. Many of you will know that Max is a dedicated collector of Parkers from eye-droppers to late model limited editions. Please come along and enjoy a romp through some of Max's sublime collection accompanied by his knowledgeable commentary. Please note that this meeting has been moved to the third Monday of the month. Look forward to seeing you there.Cheers,
Peter Hickman
0417 377 813

peterhickman@bigpond.com

#224 Tritonus

Tritonus

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:26

I was planning to attend this group for the 1st time thinking it was going to be Monday the 8th but I see that it has moved now which means I can't as I work till 7.30pm :( (I'm currently on school hols). Is it possible for me to rock up late like around 8.15ish? Is there an entrance fee?

Edited by Tritonus, 08 April 2013 - 04:28.

#225 Shangas

Shangas

• Member - Gold

• 6,939 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:10

The meetings run from 6:30-9:00/:30. You're welcome to show up at any time between the start and finish. There's no entrance fee or anything. Just show up.

The revised date is the 15th of April. Other than that, all usual parameters apply - location, time, etc.

#226 Roxie

Roxie

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:29

The meetings run from 6:30-9:00/:30. You're welcome to show up at any time between the start and finish. There's no entrance fee or anything. Just show up.

The revised date is the 15th of April. Other than that, all usual parameters apply - location, time, etc.

Hello Melb Pen Group,
My name is Renee and I have just joined the FPN and am very interested in attending your meeting tonight, Monday the 15th in Hawthorn.
Hope to see you there.

#227 Shangas

Shangas

• Member - Gold

• 6,939 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:28

Posted Image

A Selection of Pictures from the Evening:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#228 Parker Pete

Parker Pete

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:58

Hi Pen People,
We will meet at the Tower Hotel, Hawthorn Bistro 6.30pm for a meal & 7.30 on Monday 10th June. This meeting, we will be privileged to have James give us an insight into the discolouration of early plastics used in fountain pens. James is a dedicated collector of Parkers with a focus on Lucky Curve. Many of you had the privilege of being present for James's excellent presentation on the internet for pens, so don't miss "It's not easy being green". Please bring along any examples of faded and/or pristine plastics that you may have. I can, myself!!! And yes, it is the Monday evening of a public holiday.
Look forward to seeing you there.
Cheers,
Peter Hickman
0417 377 813

#229 Shangas

Shangas

• Member - Gold

• 6,939 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:48

The Melbourne Pen Group is holding its next meeting. 

MONDAY, 12th of AUGUST, 2013. 

6:30pm START. TOWER HOTEL. BURWOOD ROAD, HAWTHORN. 

Open to all comers. 

#230 Newjelan

Newjelan

Collectors Item

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:29

Thanks, again I would love to come but I'll be in NZ as I seem to be each time you have a get-together.

#231 Parker Pete

Parker Pete

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:37

Hi Pen People,
We will meet at the Tower Hotel, Hawthorn Bistro 6.30pm for a meal & 7.30 on Monday 12th August (Tonight). This meeting, we will be privileged to have Pam give us a presentation on 19th Century propelling pencils and silver hallmarks. Please bring along any examples of hallmarked writing equipment you may have.
Cheers,
Peter Hickman
0417 377 813

#232 Shangas

Shangas

• Member - Gold

• 6,939 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:40

AugustMeeting_zpsb4fc5a6e.jpg

And thanks to Sanjay for sharing his amazing pencil-pistol with us :) 

#233 Shangas

Shangas

• Member - Gold

• 6,939 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:34

The next meeting of the Melbourne Pen Group is on the 14th of OCTOBER. MONDAY. 6:30pm at the TOWER HOTEL in Hawthorn. 

This will be the last meeting before the MELBOURNE PEN SHOW, on SUNDAY the 24th of NOVEMBER, at the MALVERN TOWN HALL.

#234 Parker Pete

Parker Pete

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:13

Hi Pen People,
We will meet at the Tower Hotel, Hawthorn Bistro 6.30pm for a meal & 7.30 on Monday 14th October. This meeting, we will be privileged to have David talk on & show some Conway Stewart fountain pens. Please come along and enjoy an insight into David's collection accompanied by his knowledge and commentary.
Cheers,
Peter Hickman
0417 377 813

PS. Apologies for the late notification.

#235 Shangas

Shangas

• Member - Gold

• 6,939 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:42

This month's meeting of the Melbourne Pen Group was the last meeting of the year before the Melbourne Pen Show. It was well-attended by a dozen people. Thank you to everyone who came, and who took the time to share their latest finds and purchases with everyone else. 

This month's presenter was David, from Pen City, who provided us with a history of the famous English pen company - Conway Stewart. 

A reminder to all readers and members that this year, the Melbourne Pen Show is on the 24th of November, at the MALVERN TOWN HALL. 

I am looking forward to seeing everyone who reads this posting, at the Melbourne Pen Show next month. Hopefully, we will have an even better turnout this year. The Melbourne Pen Group will be holding its own set of display tables at the Show. Everyone is welcome to drop by and say hello, stop for a chat, and check out our displays. 

And now, a selection of photographs from the meeting: 

IMG_1649_zpse5d58943.jpg

IMG_1648_zps958b0e36.jpg

IMG_1643_zps9f34488c.jpg

IMG_1642_zpsfb232822.jpg

IMG_1646_zps86eb51b4.jpg

Edited by Shangas, 22 October 2013 - 01:43.

#236 Parker Pete

Parker Pete

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:57

Hi Pen People,
We will meet at the Tower Hotel, Hawthorn Bistro 6.30pm for a meal & 7.30 on Monday 9th December. This meeting, we will be a show & tell session. Bring you finds from the Pen Show or maybe pens you love or want to share with others.Please come along and enjoy a casual evening with other pen people.
Cheers,
Peter Hickman
0417 377 813

PS. Apologies for the late notification.

#237 Parker Pete

Parker Pete

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:38

Hi Pen People,
We will meet at the Tower Hotel, Hawthorn Bistro 6.30pm for a meal & 7.30 presentation on Tuesday 29th April. Please note that this is not the scheduled date. At this meeting, we will be privileged to have James MacDougall from Magnani Papers Australia join us. Please come along and enjoy an insight into James's fine papers, etc.
Cheers,
Peter Hickman
0417 377 813