Do you have a Bexley 10th Anniversary?

arvadajames

I am thinking about getting a 10th Anniversary Bexley and wanted to hear from people who own the pen.

1. What color do you have and do you like it?

- if you have orange, how would you describe the color?

2. What nib do you have and do you like it?

3. What are you thoughts on the size, shape and weight of the pen?

4. Would you still buy the pen?

Thanks,

James

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• arvadajames

• John Cullen

• TheNobleSavage

• Bill

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Lime. Yes.

Chocolate Ebonite. Yes (although it won't stay pretty forever because I actually use it and take it into the light on occasion).

2. Stub. Yes.

Fine. Yes.

3. The 10th behaves like a large pen and carries like a small pen. Let me explain. It is a moderately wide pen with a section that about as wide as a Pelikan M600 but is longer and feels more like an M800 in the hand. Place the 10th alongside an M800 and the nibs look the same if it wasn't for the markings. But the "carry length" in a pocket is nearly identical to the smaller Pelikan M2xx/4xx. I can carry a 10th in shorter pockets that would be dangerous for an M800 or even a Parker "51". The 10th is relatively lightweight for its size.

4. Yes.

Bill

Thanks for the input, Bill :) It is really hard buying a pen that you can't see, touch, hold, write with etc. I am about 50% of the way to taking the plunge on an orange one, but not sure which nib to try. /:)

I have the Lemon Color with the Binder Broad Itali-fine nib. It really is a great pen that I got for a steal on FleaBay. I prefer the Chocolate and the Orange Ebonite pens. For the price of the lemon, I would be foolish not to buy it. The orange and the chocolate ebonite 10 anniversary Bexley pens are just fantastic pens. Unfortunately, I have other pens in my sights but one of these days, I will get them. Why? They are Bexley pens and I love Bexley pens!!!

TNS

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

HI Bill and the Noble Savage have pretty much summed up what I would say. I have fine nibs on all of mine and I love them. The fines I have are a little wetter and wider than most of my other American Fine nibs.

Make sure you are familiar with Bexley's nib exchange policy and such because unless I am mistaken they charge something like $20 to change the nib to another size if you have used the nib.

I am sure any number of people here, myself included, would send you a writing sample if you wanted to see what a fine nib line looks like.

Two of my Bexleys had real tooth on the nibs and I sent them to Richard Binder to smooth. Now they are truly fantastic. I don't know if he has the orange ebonite but he would be a good person to buy from especially if you want total smoothness and no tooth. You could probably shoot him a postcard and show him the size line you want and he could advise you, if you have not had a chance yet to use a Bexley.

Like I said, I love mine. The Americana is also a great pen. JC

Thanks for the replies. A question - being a real newbie How do I know if the nib needs any adjusting? :bonk: I am using a Waterman Phileas with a medium nib (my first pen) compared to ball points, it is a wonderfully smooth pen. but compared to other more expensive pens it might be as scratchy as a dry nail. I really don't have a reference point.

Thanks for educating me. :bunny1:

James

Thanks for the replies. A question - being a real newbie How do I know if the nib needs any adjusting?  :bonk:  I am using a Waterman Phileas with a medium nib (my first pen) compared to ball points, it is a wonderfully smooth pen. but compared to other more expensive pens it might be as scratchy as a dry nail. I really don't have a reference point.

Thanks for educating me. :bunny1:

James

You don't need a nib adjustment if your pen:

Feels smooth to you

Starts when the nib first touches the paper

Writes an even line if you don't change speed and direction

Doesn't leave blobs

Doesn't skip

Doesn't "catch" on the paper

Undoubtedly there is a pen out there that would feel even smoother and yes, a nibmeister could make even a wonderful pen write even better. However, if you are satisfied with your FP experience and you don't have the problems on my brief list you probably don't need an adjustment......now.

As you become more experienced and acquire more pens, undoubtedly you will acquire a pen that will do one or more of the following:

Feel scratchy

Skip

Trouble Starting

Irregular lines

Blobs of Ink

Ink creeping up the section

Catches the paper

Stops writing

When that happens, an adjustment will be just the ticket.

As you read many of the posts on FPN, we don't write as much detail about the pens that work well. We tend to focus on the problems and we help each other diagnose (guesstimate more often than not) the issue and reccomend solutions. If all you know about FP's are our posts about problems, you might think the darn things NEVER work right. I assure you, however, that they do and most (but not all) enjoy writing with FPs even more than we enjoy tinkering with them or maybe even acquiring them. Probably the only thing we like better than writing with them is writing ABOUT them.

The Waterman Phileas is well known for being sturdy, friendly to newbies, and generally writes well right out of the box. If it feels good to you, just enjoy it.

If you would like to experience some pens that REALLY NEED NIB WORK just let me know. I've probably got dozens I'd be glad to share at very reasonable prices.

:roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho:

Andy

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

Wow :o Andy,

I can't believe your generosity. :ltcapd: No seriously :drool: thanks for the great advice. I am really enjoying the world of fountain pens. Now, if I can just decide if I should buy that 10th anniversary and which nib :eureka:

James

HI I do not have much to add to Andy's great post. But I think as you go on you will notice a few things.

One, the Phileas is generally regarded as a great writing pen. It is not uncommon for someone to buy a more expensive pen and wonder why it does not write as well as his or her Phileas, which was a third the price. The Phileas is a great pen with a really nice nib.

But the more you get into this, the more you will pick up on the slight differences that make people love or hate a nib. Some nibs are toothy, by which most people mean there is a sense that you can feel the paper when you write. Some nibs are super smooth, and you can not really feel the paper as you write. Someone once said that a smooth toothy nib is like writing with a dry finger on paper whereas a smooth nib with no tooth is like dipping your finger in oil and then writing on glass. I suspect your phileas is more like the glassy nib type.

But some people like the feel of the paper and feel that a slippery smooth nib (or glass smooth as some will say) is hard to control.

Everyone has his or her preferences. Sometimes there are brands that are known for having one particular type of nib. For example, Aurora nibs are smooth but also usually toothy. Stipula nibs are more likely to be super smooth.

Then there is the issue of a springy nib vs a stiff nib. What I mean is some nibs have a bit of give to them when they touch the page. YOur phileas nib is very stiff. It does not give much or feel springy on the page. Some people adore stiff nibs, especially if they have a heavy hand or use XF nibs and don't want to spread the tines too much when they press down.

The only way to learn all this stuff is to try out pens. I hate to say this but it is possible you will pay $200 dollars for a pen and find you prefer your Phileas.

For example, I love the Dani Trio steel nibs. The are stiff as a nail but usually glass smooth, possibly as smooth or smoother than the Phileas you have. They are also really cheap. But a lot of people would hate that nib.

The Bexley pens I have used tend to be smooth, but a few have had some tooth to them and I have had to have them smoothed to make them right for ME.

So you need a little patience in learning what you like and do not like.

Dipping a new pen in water and writing a word or two is not a perfect way to see if the pen is functioning well but it may clue you in to a pen that is not writing well and still let you return it if the seller will not take inked pens. I would look around and see what a seller's policy is on returns. Be careful not to just take a new pen and pitch the box and sales slip and stick in a cartridge and go...

These are just my thoughts. I am sure others who know more will chime in. j

Well put, John. You could send newbies to this for a quick read that would answer a few of their early questions about smoothness.

I might add that a stiff nib will exhibit its smoothness, or lack of it, when applied dry to the intended paper. Use a light touch because if you don't you may end up with paper fibers in the nib's slot. When wet with ink. it will feel at least that good and usually a tad better what with the lubricity provided by the ink.

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

• 2 months later...

I took the plunge and bought an Orange Ebonite 10th from Richard Binder. It came as a medium nib, but Richard made it a fine for me. So far I think it is a great pen. Thanks for all of your answers to my questions. :D