#1 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,524 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2009 - 01:09

Bought this pen few months ago and I was very disapointed.
The pen was a fire hose. It spewed ink all over the place and was not in a writing condition but the nib was very smooth and I knew it was well worth the wait.
Posted Image
So I sent the pen to the one and only Sean Gosse (SMG)or as I like calling him my Pen God LOL and he turned this frog into a price.
As I expected the nib needed a lot of work but now this pen is magic.
Such a simple designbut yet very elegant.
Its not the piston model but rather the CC filler.
Yes I am not a fan of CC fillers but heck for the price of less then 100$ and such an awsom writer I will take it even as a CC filler.
Posted Image
The pen is very light weight and very well balanced.
It does feel a bit fragile compared to more modern MB pens.
It has a little ink view window and a snow flake star on both ends of the pen.
For the best of my knowlage it was made sometimes in the 70's.

The nib on this pen is a total WOW!!!
Its smooth with a perfect flow but thats not the special part, this nib is VERY flexible for a rather modern pen.
I would rate it as 60% flexible compared to a 1920's wet noodle so its more then a semi flex nib and the amount of feedback on this nib is AWSOM!!!
I think this is my favorite MB nib and only a head to head will tell me if I like it better then my Paragon nib.
Posted Image
Conclusion

This pen was not design to look stunning or overly attractive.
Its simple and clean design may turn a nonMB lover into a a new believer.
Its very comfortable and easy to use with its perfect balance and light weight and the nib, oh this nib will turn the grayest of days into a sunny springy one.
Respect to all

#2 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,514 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2009 - 01:18

Gotta agree that the 2xx pens are nice and the 1xx were even nicer. The nibs of the period really are fantastic.

How pierceful grows the hazy yon! How myrtle petaled thou! For spring hath sprung the cyclotron - How high browse thou, brown cow? -- Churchy LaFemme, 1950

Anyone so limited that they can only spell a word one way suffers a severe handicap. -- jar

The last pen I bought will be the next to last pen I ever buy! --jar

#3 goodguy

goodguy

• Member - Gold

• 8,524 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2009 - 23:06

Gotta agree that the 2xx pens are nice and the 1xx were even nicer. The nibs of the period really are fantastic.

I wish MB would offer more flex with their nibs with their new pens.
Respect to all

#4 piembi

piembi

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:40

Love those pens because the understated design does not look like a MB at the first sight. The nibs are very pleasing and the pens are great everyday user pens.

I do have a Meisterstück 121 with a F/M nib that is one of my everyday office pens and a 220 with a wonderful OB nib. Unfortunately a medium nib works better at the office so this great OB nib has to stay at home.

#5 sgl

sgl

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:39

Got to agree with you that this nib is a beauty. I used to have one given to me by my wife which I do not know where it is now. It is a piston model and in perfect condition. Looking at your picts reminded me of it.

I wish MB is still making these more flexible nibs instead of the hard rock ones they have nowadays.

Enjoy it.

#6 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Admin Tech.

• 6,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2009 - 23:12

I want to get one of the brushed-finish 22x'es - I really love how they look.
http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Pilot Elite 95S - M - Pilot Iroshizuku Kiri-same // Parker 21 Super - M - Noodler's Widowmaker // Stipula Modello T FPN LE - Conway Stewart Kingsand // Parker Duofold (Canadian) - F - Diamine Meadow // Delta Via Veneto Doué Elegance - M - Conway Stewart Kingsand

#7 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Member - Gold

• 9,032 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2009 - 00:35

So I sent the pen to the one and only Sean Gosse (SMG)or as I like calling him my Pen God LOL and he turned this frog into a price.

:D

#8 MHMFAO

MHMFAO

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:43

I just bought an 80s 221 and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival in the mail.
After reading your review, I'm even more exited!
Mike

#9 goodguy

goodguy

• Member - Gold

• 8,524 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:00

I just bought an 80s 221 and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival in the mail.
After reading your review, I'm even more exited!
Mike

Enjoy your new pen and please let us know how you like it.
Respect to all

#10 fhhcpen

fhhcpen

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 18:27

Hi could someone post a writing sample showing how much is the flex? Mine is a 18k nib and does not flex...

#11 basterma

basterma

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2012 - 18:44

I have one with an identical grip section. It has a crack originating from the apex of the notch. It leaks. Has any one sen this on their pen?

#12 fhhcpen

fhhcpen

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:01

I have one with an identical grip section. It has a crack originating from the apex of the notch. It leaks. Has any one sen this on their pen?

No I got mine recently and nothing like that happen...I guess you will need to send it to a pen guy specialized in vintage MB. You can browse around the forums I remember having seen the name of the person somewhere...

#13 basterma

basterma

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:07

I'll search some more. Thanks.

#14 fhhcpen

fhhcpen

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 18:49

If you can't find one from searching, why not start a post asking in MB forum?

#15 sexauerw

sexauerw

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,577 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:56

I picked up a 221 a while back. Mine is a piston-filler model and it has a glass-smooth OBB nib. Not a lot of line variation, you wouldn't mistake it for an italic, but the variation is noticable and nice. Very wet and with that width it doesn't get much mileage per fill. Doesn't matter though, the color it leaves on the page makes it all worthwhile.

Bill Sexauer
PCA+++Logo+small.jpgBlk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpgCP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

#16 basterma

basterma

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:29

If you can't find one from searching, why not start a post asking in MB forum?

Once I get pictures, I will post under the Mont Blanc forum.

#17 fhhcpen

fhhcpen

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:42

I picked up a 221 a while back. Mine is a piston-filler model and it has a glass-smooth OBB nib. Not a lot of line variation, you wouldn't mistake it for an italic, but the variation is noticable and nice. Very wet and with that width it doesn't get much mileage per fill. Doesn't matter though, the color it leaves on the page makes it all worthwhile.

Congrats, OBB quite hard to come by! Mine is like a OF, it take some getting used to. And I agree while mine is not a flex it runs glass smooth.

#18 thoppen

thoppen

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:14

What does the nib produce? Can we see a writing/doodling sample?
Best regards, Tim

#19 sexauerw

sexauerw

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,577 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 19:41

I'll put my OBB 221 in line to be inked when I get home from vacation. I'll post something then. Do you have a color you would like to see? I have mostly blue and black inks. Here are some of the inks that I have:
Blacks:
Aurora, Conway-Stewart, Delta, Montblanc, Sheaffer Skrip (this one bleeds and feathers), and Visconti

Blues:
Conway-Stewart Blue, Pelikan Royal Blue, Pilot Blue, Pilot Ultra-Marine, Iroshizuki Asa-Gao, Iroshizuki Kon-Peki, Levenger Skies of Blue, Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire, Sailor Jentle Blue, Swisher North Sea Blue, Visconti Blue

Others:
Conway-Stewart Turquoise, Sheaffer Emerald Green, Sheaffer Peacock Blue, Sheaffer Washable Purple, Visconti Turquoise

Bill Sexauer
PCA Member since 2006

#20 fhhcpen

fhhcpen

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:42

Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire :puddle:

#21 alexander_k

alexander_k

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 16:01

The 22x pens are largely neglected, probably because they were medium-level models. I've managed to get a few of them over the years and they're all excellent daily writers (that's what they were meant to be). However, I have to disagree about the aesthetics: they're exemplary designs of the 1970s, not flashy but quite elegant and pleasant to view and to hold (but this is a matter of preference).

#22 sexauerw

sexauerw

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,577 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:04

As promised, a writing sample of my 221 OBB with Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire ink. The scanner color is not quite accurate and makes the ink look more like Baystate Blue, it's not really quite that bright but it really is a nice bright blue. Just not that bright! But the sample is meant to show the line variation and shading and for that the color accuracy is not critical.

No flex and moderate variation. This is an extremely wet nib, some of the folks in the Seattle Pen Club have called it a "fire hose".
Posted Image

Edited by sexauerw, 22 February 2012 - 09:08.

Bill Sexauer
PCA Member since 2006

#23 Gojira

Gojira

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:15

The line is similar (albeit slightly less wide) to the OM nib on my 32S. Mine is a pretty wet nib too...looks great when inked with Noodler's Eel Blue. I'm now anxiously waiting for a 220 with what appears to be an OF nib!

#24 Fountainpenlover

Fountainpenlover

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:57

Have an identical MB to the one you have - the only difference is that it has a slim band at the very end of the barrel, but otherwise seems to be identical to mine. It writes reasonably well and smooth - the only problem was that recently I found out that with some inks, perhaps the better flowing ones (such as Aurora blue), had a tendency to start dripping out of the nib unpredictably when in use, as a result of which I am wary of making much use of it as I am afraid that it might produce a blob of ink when writing and ruin some document which I am using it on. Otherwise it writes well and has a good flow - perhaps too good?!

Edited by Fountainpenlover, 23 February 2012 - 10:59.

#25 philipr

philipr

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 00:12

Hi, Goodguy.
Your pen is a beauty. It is a 221P (Patronenfuller). I have two of them, in black and burgundy, and a 221 pistonfiller in black. Of the same series I have also the 121, 126, 124, 227, 220, 220SP,224, 225 and the extremely rare rhodium 2209. I am only missing the full silver 1266 and full gold 1246. These two are very hard to find. The nibs on these pens are all quite flexible and nice to write with, although very different from my daily writer for over 50 years, the one and only 149OB.

#26 faf

faf

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2013 - 00:25

I just bought the classic (almost the same as the 221) in burgundy ! It is in the mail right now ! I'll do a review when i'll receive it !

My classic have the exact same nib !

-FAF-

#27 goodguy

goodguy

• Member - Gold

• 8,524 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2014 - 15:01

I just bought the classic (almost the same as the 221) in burgundy ! It is in the mail right now ! I'll do a review when i'll receive it !

My classic have the exact same nib !

-FAF-

So how do you like your new pen ?

Respect to all

#28 faf

faf

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:57

So how do you like your new pen ?

very nice !!!! use it everyday !

#29 SB129

SB129

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:50

Have the same pen + the piston filler. Great nib but spews ink and has a slight tendency to leak even when stored correctly

"SB129 knows his (bleep)"
-Gerald Ford, Sept. 1981-

#30 entropydave

entropydave

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 17:53

Have the same pen + the piston filler. Great nib but spews ink and has a slight tendency to leak even when stored correctly

Have three of them and never experienced what you describe, I use them often.  I think they may be sensitive to a lack of sealant on anything threaded (section or barrel threads), so you might correct what you observe by applying some silicon grease to the threads or another sealant.