#61 amateriat

amateriat

Piston-Fulfilled

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2010 - 17:34

NYLegman: Thanks for the tip; I keep forgetting about Art Brown, as if they only existed in the dim passages of memory.

- Barrett

#62 dwong

dwong

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 20:50

Amateriat: Try Art Brown for the colors you are seeking. They seem to have just about any Noodler's color you might want, except of course for the exclusives. Just bought Bad Belted Kingfisher and it's an amazing ink!

+1 on the BB Kingfisher, great ink that dries very quickly!

@Amateriat, did the Pilot representatives mention when the smoke black Custom 74 was estimated to be released?

#63 amateriat

amateriat

Piston-Fulfilled

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2010 - 21:23

dwong: I only heard this second-hand from an FPH sales guy (the Pilot gang packed up and left just before I arrived); no firm timetable on any of the mentioned pens, but I'd be surprised if at least a few of them didn't show up by September or so. (Of course, Lamy was supposed to have released the Dialog 3 last September, and look what happened with that. Pilot might have its act a bit more together, however.)

- Barrett

#64 amateriat

amateriat

Piston-Fulfilled

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:00

So...how big is the 823's ink capacity?

I'm getting set to refill it. For the first time since I bought it, several months ago. And I've written with it a fair (but not frenetic) amount.

Wonderful and scary all at once, eh? I'm liking it lots.

- Barrett

(P.S. Same goes for the CON-70-equipped Custom 74)

Edited by amateriat, 26 June 2010 - 04:10.

#65 USN Air TrafficController

USN Air TrafficController

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:51

If ever there was just one pen to buy, this is it. So I got two. :) I just would like to find one with a falcon nib. Saw it on a Japanese website, but I can't read anything on it!
Currently Inked;
MB 149 w/ MB Toffee Brown
Pilot Custom 823 w/ Perle Noire
Noodler's Aerometric w/ Noodler's X-Feather

#66 amateriat

amateriat

Piston-Fulfilled

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:12

If ever there was just one pen to buy, this is it. So I got two. :) I just would like to find one with a falcon nib. Saw it on a Japanese website, but I can't read anything on it!

I believe you can have it done for one of 'em, by the right party. (Not exactly certain as to whom, but I'm betting the Known Nib-meisters could do this with little trouble.)

- Barrett

#67 USN Air TrafficController

USN Air TrafficController

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:21

THX, I'm just getting back into this hobby, but I have an idea of who you're talking about. YT
Currently Inked;
MB 149 w/ MB Toffee Brown
Pilot Custom 823 w/ Perle Noire
Noodler's Aerometric w/ Noodler's X-Feather

#68 Silas

Silas

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 14:43

So, does the 823 come in both the Brown Translucent and Black? I'm confused.

And, from what I'm reading, the Broad is expressive and writes like a normal Western Medium?

Chime in, those who own them.....I want to order one....but want a juicy, wet, expressive line.

To my thinking, the BLACK 823 is reminiscent of a MontBlanc 146?

#69 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

he's just this guy, you know?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts
  • Location:Kirkland, WA (but my home will always be San Jose, CA)

Posted 27 August 2010 - 17:24

And, from what I'm reading, the Broad is expressive and writes like a normal Western Medium?

Chime in, those who own them.....I want to order one....but want a juicy, wet, expressive line.

There is a brown, a black and a clear (pretty sure there is a clear 823.)

I don't know about the B nib- mine is a M. I'm not sure what 'expressive' means in this context. The nib has a bit of give, but nothing remotely approaching what I would consider even semi-flex. Really, just some bending up of the tines when writing.

greg

#70 Highbinder

Highbinder

Strange

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 22:23

I have a black 823 with a broad nib. The styling is very close to a 146 with the main difference IMO being the clip - it's very sturdy on the 823, definately one of my favourite things about it. Terrible for clipping onto papers but perfect for my trouser pocket. The broad is very similar to a western M, it's definately a finer line than my MB14's broad nib, closest to the Medium nibbed Van Gogh I had.

The nib is springy, not flexy, very forgiving, and depending on the ink can be very wet - the blind cap can be used effectively to 'choke' supply. Mine especially likes J Herbin ink (filled with Lie de Thé at the moment) but has handled noodlers, pelikan, waterman and iroshizuku inks just as well.

I love the weight balance of the pen too, unlike a lot of piston fillers its' not rear-heavy. The plastic is nice and thick too, or atleast when capping and uncapping it gives a nice chunky feel unlike the Pelikans I've had which felt dainty when capping.

I've been through a lot of pens since I started buying and other than my montblanc 14 the 823 is one pen I would NOT get rid of. I love it. I take it to work every day and a fill lasts me between a week and a week and a half.

Pilot Vanishing Point; Red; M nib; Noodler's Zhivago

Montblanc 14; B nib; Pelikan Blue

#71 Don_Fluckinger

Don_Fluckinger

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 23:47

I just wanted to register my vote for this as a top-five modern pen -- for writing/carrying/daily life. And isn't that the measure of a great pen (looks and all else secondary)?
Don Fluckinger
says what's on his
pen-collecting mind
at Extra Fine Points.

#72 M@rtin

M@rtin

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2011 - 16:14

Beautiful pen!!!

#73 ehemem

ehemem

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2011 - 17:12

Christian: Actually, a lot less of a bother than you might imagine, compared to some of the unintended "rituals" I've occasionally put up with in regard to certain other FPs. And, since we're talking dedicated, bottle-fill-only numbers, this step is almost not worth mentioning.

One thing to remember is that there's usually enough ink in the feeder to run off a paragraph or two, even with the mechanism sealed. Just remember to unscrew it a few turns when you're ready to sit right down and write yourself (or someone else) a letter. ;)

- Barrett

And one has to do this with Japanese EDs in general as well. I think it is a great idea! It really does prevent leaks.

#74 Fireshadow

Fireshadow

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2013 - 21:51

I got my Custom 823 today with a broad nib and a bottle of pilot blue ink. The pen is Heaven in my hand and the ink has a very nice look and flow to it. For me, we'll worth the money!
- Adam

"The only easy day was yesterday." - US NAVY SEALS

#75 VirtuThe3rd

VirtuThe3rd

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 13:21

I sometimes use Custom 823 because it's one of the most
famous fountain pens in Japan. I have to take videos of
this beautiful pen for my YouTube. :)

VirtuThe3rd

My primary topic : Masters of the fountain pen (Videos with English subtitles)

*Please feel free to comment on my topic! :vbg:

[ The Fountain Pen Tube ]

#76 XiaoMG

XiaoMG

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,234 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 14:41

I wish Pilot would put that nice #15 nib in a smaller pen. I'd love to build a smaller (Custom Legance-sized) Japanese eyedropper or something with a #15. Dream pen for me.
Robert.

#77 bizhe

bizhe

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 17:02

[duplicate post]

Edited by bizhe, 09 January 2013 - 15:19.

#78 bizhe

bizhe

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 19:30

I sometimes use Custom 823 because it's one of the most
famous fountain pens in Japan. I have to take videos of
this beautiful pen for my YouTube. :)

Do you have the 823 in B nib? I would enjoy seeing that in action.

#79 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• 4,701 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2013 - 22:23

I'm trying to decide between M and F nibs. Can anyone compare between those and the F titanium nib on an Omas Art Deco, by any chance? Or the EF on a Pelikan 600. I mean just line width; nothing else.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"
LetterExchange_sm.png

#80 Frank C

Frank C

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:36

On the nibs.com website they have a useful comparison: tipping sizes.
"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson
I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

#81 Laura N

Laura N

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,544 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:40

Though that chart suggests that the line widths are similar, in practice I find that my Custom 823 fine nib is noticeably finer than the extra-fine nibs on my Pelikan M600 and M700. I might just have gotten a Pilot with a slightly finer nib, too.

#82 Waski_the_Squirrel

Waski_the_Squirrel

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,063 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:19

Although this is a "zombie thread" I can't help but take the opportunity to sing the praises of my absolute favorite fountain pen. I can't believe the amount of money I spent buying this pen. It's ridiculous and wasteful. But, I really, really, really love the pen. Even months later, I can start writing with this pen and it's almost like I forget I'm writing. The words just appear on the page and I wonder where they came from. (Slight exaggeration, but close to the truth.)

Seriously: smooth, easy writing, nice balance in the hand, classy good looks, nice capacity, cool filling mechanism...what's not to love?
Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

#83 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• 4,701 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:24

Perhaps the best option is to ask wherever I get it from, to send me a 'wide' Fine or a 'narrow' Medium, whichever is the closest to my Fine Omas titanium at 0.40mm according to the nibs.com chart.
Sound OK to you?

The Good Captain

LetterExchange_sm.png

#84 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:41

I am awaiting a delivery of the 823 Clear M in a few days. I have a Brown B and a Black F and I thought it would be nice to have the 3rd one to have all three nib options in different colors.

When I need to travel for several days to a few weeks, I think I can just carry 3 X 823 and a few Pilots with CON-70 converters to meet my writing needs.
My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

#85 craniopath

craniopath

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 17:44

Why is there only gold colored trim option, why :wallbash:

#86 parnesh

parnesh

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:26

Perhaps the best option is to ask wherever I get it from, to send me a 'wide' Fine or a 'narrow' Medium, whichever is the closest to my Fine Omas titanium at 0.40mm according to the nibs.com chart.
Sound OK to you?

I have a 823 with an M nib and a prera with an F nib and there is a huge difference in line widths even when taking all factors into account. The F nib prera is finer than most western EF nibs I have seen. While the 823 M nib is somehwere between a pelikan F and M (steel nibs) and finer than a Lamy steel M.

Unfortunately you can't get the FM nib on the 823.

Edited by parnesh, 19 June 2013 - 02:28.

#87 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• 4,701 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:51

I have a 823 with an M nib and a prera with an F nib and there is a huge difference in line widths even when taking all factors into account. The F nib prera is finer than most western EF nibs I have seen. While the 823 M nib is somehwere between a pelikan F and M (steel nibs) and finer than a Lamy steel M.

Unfortunately you can't get the FM nib on the 823.

I actually went for the Fine nib in the end and asked for a 'wet' one. It's certainly finer than perhaps I would have picked if I'd been able to try it out first but I have to say, it's grown on me and I really like using it. Nice to have a difference between one's pens' isn't it?

The Good Captain

LetterExchange_sm.png

#88 parnesh

parnesh

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:01

I actually went for the Fine nib in the end and asked for a 'wet' one. It's certainly finer than perhaps I would have picked if I'd been able to try it out first but I have to say, it's grown on me and I really like using it. Nice to have a difference between one's pens' isn't it?

It is indeed. I am really enjoying the medium nib. I typically use a western fine so it is only slightly wider probably because it is wetter. The fine is actually great on cheap paper and for margin notes. My prera is filled with de atramentis poppy red and I use it for marking/reviewing.

While I really like the 823, I don't think I can use it as a daily carry. I am thinking about a custom 92 with a soft FM or soft M nib.

#89 tarheel1

tarheel1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2013 - 13:00

I would love this with a FA nib. I dont like gold trim, but would accept it for a fa nib non converter.

WTB Black and chrome Sailor 1911 large music nib.
WTB Sheaffer Balance oversized with a flex nib, semi flex, broad, or medium in carmine red or grey striated.
Wtb Sheaffer Pfm in black or blue with a medium or broad nib.