Pilot Iroshizuku Asa-gao

PJohnP

In-between another bit of work, I quickly ran the Pilot Iroshizuku Asa-gao ink through its paces.

I won't spend a great deal of time commenting again on the packaging and bottle for the Iroshizuku inks, as I've probably covered that in my post today, Pilot Iroshizuku Fuyu-gaki - The sweet colour of autumn persimmons in the orchards of Japan.

Before embarking on the review comments, it's fair to note that I'm not one of those people who have deep obsessions or longing for specific shades of blue. I have a passing curiosity about what makes Parker Penman Sapphire so coveted a colour, but I wouldn't bestir myself to spend much extra time or money to purchase the ink. I'm lucky enough to own a handful of blues, blue-black, blue-purples that I've acquired through some swaps and a purchase abroad, but aside from enjoying the reaction that PR Tanzanite or Noodler's Coral Sea Blue creates with a few folks, I'm relatively indifferent to which blue colour I've loaded in the pen in my pocket.

But in this case, I decided to round out an order of Fuyu-gaki and Tsuki-yo with the Asa-gao as an experiment. Perhaps this blue would kindle the excitement that I'd seen people exhibit in various posts about blue colours of ink.

This ink was tested with a Pelikan M600 (old style) with a medium-broad cursive italic nib and a tortoise 400NN with a "modern" Pelikan calligraphic 2.0 nib.

Firstly, the Asa-gao's a bit less less lubricated than the Fuyu-gaki on lesser quality paper like the HP inkjet paper. It glides over the nice smooth paper in the Black 'n Red notebook, but then, in all truth, I think I could use a trowel with cement and it would be smooth on that paper. It's not as dry as, say, Pelikan Blue-Black, which I find makes relatively smooth nibs drag a bit, but it's surely not slick, either. On the other hand, it worked pretty well with the superbroad Pelikan calligraphic 2.0 nib, and that's not an easy nib for lubrication and flow.

Here's the standard ink review format :

http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/100855/106718/Asa-gaoonHPInkjetPaper9567_L.jpg

This ink really starts to shine on a better quality of paper :

http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/100855/106718/Asa-GaoonBRNotebookPaper2716_L.jpg

The pens glide much more readily over this paper, and the colour of the ink is much more intensely visible to the eye. Once again, my scanner's not capturing some of the subtleties of the colour and shading. I may have to break out the copy table and shoot digital photographs with a grey card to better land the colour...

Like the Fuyu-gaki, this is not a fast drying ink, and similarly, when I used a nib that lays down a broad wet line, it took some time to dry. It's not waterproof, but there's some water resistance. I don't think it would fare well with a long sinking or constantly running water for hours, but I'm not engaging in those tests.

All in all, I like the Pilot Iroshizuku Asa-gao well enough to use it as a regular ink in my pen, but I might not purchase another bottle when it's emptied. I would think that for people who favour and cherish a bold and strong blue that this might well be more attractive to them.

Per the just published Federal Trade Commission Guidelines related to blogging, I purchased this ink myself from Jet Pens, which came in less than forty-eight hours after web-based purchase. Sadly for my budget, I am not paid or provided with free ink from the vendor or ink-maker.

John P.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soloworx

• PJohnP

• pcarlson

• dcwaites

This is an ink I would really like to test. The shading properties appear excellent. Of course, your gorgeous writing adds significantly to Asa-gao's appeal. :)

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

Your ink reviews never cease to amaze me. Great writing, literally and figuratively. As a result, great review!

Asa-Gao has been one of my favorites for sometime now.

Ah, that fresh ink on paper look!

Great review, John. Thank you for the effort.

How many Iroshizukus do you have? I asked because I wanted to request a cotton swab photo of those in your stash.

Great review, John. Thank you for the effort.

How many Iroshizukus do you have? I asked because I wanted to request a cotton swab photo of those in your stash.

Drop me a PM with a snail-mail address, and I'll gladly send cotton swabs of all three on a decent paper to you. I only have the three I reviewed today, however.

John P.

Edited by PJohnP

Thanks John, I would prefer a scanned attachment of the cotton swab so our other members can share the joy!

A beautiful blue color to this ink, I really like it.

Thanks for another great review; this ink really "pops" when se[e]n next to Gulfstream Blue that I've had the pleasure of trying recently too.

Sweet!

Edited by Inka

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

Asa Gao is certainly an interesting and pretty color. I received a sample in a trade and love the characteristics & behavior. Too pricey for me as well, but and excellent ink nonetheless. Many thanks for the handwritten review.

Asa-gao, Visconti Blue and Platinum Preppy Blue-Black (but it is really a blue) are my three go-to blues at the moment. All rather similar in colour and behaviour, with the Visconti being a tad darker than the Asa-gao.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Great review.

This ink has been on my wish list for a while.

After seeing this review I took the plunge.

Just ordered a bottle, as well as a bottle of Kiri-Same.

Current Pilot Stainless Steel Collection:

Pilot MU90 x2

Pilot MYU 701 x3

Pilot MYU 701 Black Stripe w/ matching Mechanical Pencil x2

Pilot 1977 Long Murex w/ Black Trim w/ matching Mechanical Pencil x2

Pilot 1978 Long Murex w/ Red Trim w/ matching Mechanical Pencil

Well I got my bottle of Asa-gao today.

I replaced the Diamine Imperial Blue in my M90 with this ink and

could immediately feel the difference.

This ink went down on paper with a smoother feel, a wetter line, and a

deeper richer blue color. :D

Just to be sure my Pelikan M205 Blue Demonstrator got the same treatment, same results.

This is my new favorite blue ink :) :) :)

Again great review. Most definitely happy with the decision to purchase this ink

Current Pilot Stainless Steel Collection:

Pilot MU90 x2

Pilot MYU 701 x3

Pilot MYU 701 Black Stripe w/ matching Mechanical Pencil x2

Pilot 1977 Long Murex w/ Black Trim w/ matching Mechanical Pencil x2

Pilot 1978 Long Murex w/ Red Trim w/ matching Mechanical Pencil

Great review and italic handwriting. Asa Gao is one of my favorite blue inks, especially with a broad or flex nib, showing its amazing shading capabilities. Thanks for the review!

Tu Amigo!

Mauricio Aguilar

www.VintagePen.net

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3525/4051556482_36f28f0902_m.jpg

E-Mail: VintagePen@att.net