3912 replies to this topic

#31 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 22:06

I happen to be very familiar with Henry Simpole and his overlaid fountain pens.He is [as most people seem to agree] a very unassuming guy, who 'Loves' doing what he does with pens! [Which he also 'loves'!]
In a previous life he used to work in the Hotel Management business, and later embarked on his 'hobby' of fountain pen collecting.[This is on his website by the way] He learnt how to repair and restore them.[This was while he was working as a chef in private houses!]
I happen to know that he feels strongly that when he is cooking[I have eaten many of his creations]the main ingredient is 'Love'.
I am sure that he feels the same way about the pen over-lays which he works on.This man loves his work which he has often said he would still be doing it if he had to "Go back to work."
I am also sure that the reason he may not be as aware as most seem to be of his 'presence' in the funny ' world of pens' is simply because he only 'came-out ! ' and bought a computer a few months ago, having said that he didn't need one for the last ten or more years! He still does not own a mobile phone! He is a true Anachronism! He likes almost anything that is 'old,and/or beautiful', anything 'New' he regards with suspicion unless it is an improvement on whatever preceeded the 'New'
thing!
I think it was very good of you G.W.Parker for starting this 'Thread', if Henry sees it he will be overwhelmed!
Yours,
Truffle Finder.
henrysimpole.com
Beautiful handcrafted fountain pens by Henry Simpole....

#32 BerneseMtDogEatsArco

BerneseMtDogEatsArco

Berner Certified.

• Member - Gold

• 992 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:35

If I lived 2 miles from Henry Simpole, I would be the demon neighbor! Knocking at 2am, requesting scrollwork on my sterlings! MMMMmmmm!!!! Awesome news, and I do have one of his pens on my "dude, just get it" list.
I'll take an Aurora, please. Aurora black.

#33 I am not a number

I am not a number

Missing believed somewhere else.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:38

I'm sitting in my office (which is by a nice, quiet ventilation shaft in the Death Star) and eating a pot noodle. Reading about fine food and even finer craftsmanship reminds me why I work, it's so that I can afford the things that are described in this thread. A Henry Simpole is currently at the top of my next acquisition list and it is unlikely to move.
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

#34 GeorgeWP

GeorgeWP

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2009 - 22:14

Guess what - I will be going round to Henry's and visiting his workshop soon - in the next few weeks.
Just telling you all that to make you as jealous as hell !!!!!!!!!!!

I am thinking that I had better take plenty of money with me,

Nuff said eh!

George

#35 escribo

escribo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2009 - 23:04

I too was one of the woefully uninformed.
But OMG! Now I truly know what a 'grail pen' is!
Thanks, George.

Edited by escribo, 09 October 2009 - 23:05.

I may not have been much help, but I DID bump your thread up to the top.

#36 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,427 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 19:19

Hello again, I go now I come back! In case anyone wants to see more fully about this man's work, I suggest you go to his web-site which is at:-www.henrysimpole.com Enjoy!He adds more 'stuff' as he makes it so there is very often new things to see there.
Truffle Finder.
henrysimpole.com

#37 curioti

curioti

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 15:28

I have posted about Henry in the CS forum. Teh man is a genius. I have one bespoke pen from him, one CS "henry Simpole" and am right now dreaming up a new custom design. I am glad to see he has a following here.

#38 Chris Chalmers

Chris Chalmers

r

• Member - Gold

• 3,255 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 00:54

Congratulations George - on being a friend of Henry and for having his very first bespoke overlay pens - Lady of the Lillies is a wonderful design. How I envy you being so close to such a talented bloke! I hope you can get another pen without having to sell yours, I'm sure you will regret it later!
Each day is the start of the rest of your life!
Make it count!!!

#39 billydo

billydo

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2009 - 19:43

I'm pleased to read that my dear friend Henry is now achieving the recognition that his individual masterpieces undoubtedly deserve. I have the privilege of being Henry's photographer and website manager, and have been lucky enough to see all of his creations from the very start of his pensmith journey. His vision and creativity never ceases to amaze and I have seen his craftsmanship develop to a level that is admired by silversmiths and jewelers who have been in the business for decades. The pens that are created by Henry in his tiny workshop in London are the absolute Holy Grail of modern fountain pens and are without doubt the unique heirlooms of tomorrow. You just can't buy anything with such rariety and desirability for the money.

As soon as I can I will select a few images of Henry's work that have probably not been seen before - not even by Henry(!) - that feature trial shots and designs that may interest viewers. In the meantime, if you haven't already done so please do visit www.henrysimpole.com and have a look around. There is a guestbook facility that you may also like to read and to have your say too.

#40 SimonJamesLucas

SimonJamesLucas

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2009 - 20:37

I think his work is absolutely the best, an artist and a living legend, he will surely become part of fountain pen history. I´d love to meet him one day.

#41 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,367 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2009 - 20:40

The minute the exchange rate goes the other way, I'm splurging.

#42 SimonJamesLucas

SimonJamesLucas

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2009 - 20:54

I think his work is absolutely the best, an artist and a living legend, he will surely become part of fountain pen history. I´d love to meet him one day.

I first saw some of his pens a year ago but it has been a real treat to look round his website tonight. Thank you George.

#43 GeorgeWP

GeorgeWP

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2009 - 22:11

I first saw some of his pens a year ago but it has been a real treat to look round his website tonight. Thank you George.

Great pleasure Simon - I am so glad that I have managed to make his work known to a greater audience.
As I have said earlier in this thread, I live just a mile or two from Henry and he has invited me over to see his workshop. I was away in Italy for part of October and have some stuff to catch up on right now, but as soon as that is done I will get along to see him.
If anyone is interested, I will post again on this thread and tell all of you about it.

George

Edited by GeorgeWP, 04 November 2009 - 22:13.

#44 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,427 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 22:20

George WP, don't forget to take your camera; It would be such a pity if you are going to see the man, look round his workshop handle the pens, etc: and not be able to show everybody else!!! Come on don't be mean! Make a promise!
Truffle Finder.
henrysimpole.com

#45 GeorgeWP

GeorgeWP

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2009 - 22:26

George WP, don't forget to take your camera; It would be such a pity if you are going to see the man, look round his workshop handle the pens, etc: and not be able to show everybody else!!! Come on don't be mean! Make a promise!
Truffle Finder.

Now how could I refuse ;-) - (the emotions don't work any more since the change in the software.)

#46 Chris Chalmers

Chris Chalmers

r

• Member - Gold

• 3,255 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 23:37

Hello to George, Billydo, Truffle Finder, Simon, GeorgeWP and GhostPlane............we are all singing from the same sheet - and all waiting and wanting to see lots of photos please!!!
Now I wish Henry could see how many fans he has - and his pens are terrific too!!!:rolleyes:
To get emoticoms to work you have to double click on the smiley face above the box, then go to the panel that opens on the right of the box, and then scroll to the right to see which smileys are available and click on one - if you are lucky you get it in your message - :wub:
Make it count!!!

#47 GeorgeWP

GeorgeWP

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2009 - 23:56

Hello to George, Billydo, Truffle Finder, Simon, GeorgeWP and GhostPlane............we are all singing from the same sheet - and all waiting and wanting to see lots of photos please!!!
Now I wish Henry could see how many fans he has - and his pens are terrific too!!!:rolleyes:
To get emoticoms to work you have to double click on the smiley face above the box, then go to the panel that opens on the right of the box, and then scroll to the right to see which smileys are available and click on one - if you are lucky you get it in your message - :wub:

Hi Chris

I have actually been in touch with Henry this evening telling him that I will be over to see him in the the next week or two - very busy with work at the moment (working now as a matter of fact) - have to do it as I have a feeling that my visit is going to cost me!
He is aware of this thread, as I told him about it when I started it up - don't know if he has had a look at it though. I have relayed to him much of the adulation he has received from it and, in his usual way, he was quite amazed but also really gratified that he is held in such high esteem.
I will certainly post up as many pictures as I can - how would I be able to get away with not doing that now!

I have tried that with the emoticons, but there is nothing available to me - all I get is a whole load of boxes with red crosses in them. Do you think I am being locked out, as an incentive, until I put up the pictures from Henry :-)

George

#48 Chris Chalmers

Chris Chalmers

r

• Member - Gold

• 3,255 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:49

Hi George!

It is a mystery to me how things work here on FPN - but I am the original 'born in the wrong century' person here - and just find the things that work for me and assume it is the same for everyone!!!
What a shame you are going to have to post photos............get Henry to do some silly faces and we can use them for emoticoms!!!! Don't tell him I said that though - hehehehe!!!
Make it count!!!

#49 moorcroft58

moorcroft58

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 20:41

Hi again all its great reading all your great comments on Henry,he is a great guy who has at last been recognised for his superb work.
Having spoken to Henry today i am pretty certain that this is putting a smile on his face.

Henry if you are reading this i hope you liked your haircut today not too short i hope.

Keep up the good work with your pens , i will be ordering another one very soon and i might surprise you with my new design ideas
George

#50 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• 23,367 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2009 - 22:13

When one of you go, ask him if he can think of a way to wrap calligraphy around the pen? I've seen him do interlocking letters in English, but I'd love to try a line or a few words, perhaps in another language that joins together well.

#51 GeorgeWP

GeorgeWP

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2009 - 00:04

When one of you go, ask him if he can think of a way to wrap calligraphy around the pen? I've seen him do interlocking letters in English, but I'd love to try a line or a few words, perhaps in another language that joins together well.

I will be going to see Henry soon - will ask him about that for you.
What in particular are you looking for? Chinese, Arabic ?

George

#52 ZeissIkon

ZeissIkon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,247 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:25

George

Ah, don't be a piker -- go for Sindarin (elvish, as created by J.R.R. Tolkien).
Does not always write loving messages.
Does not always foot up columns correctly.
Does not always sign big checks.

#53 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,427 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 05:36

Don't forget that Henry now has a waiting list for his 'Bespoke' pens, I think it will take about 4 or 5 months before you see your pen George! That's an awful lot of hair-cuts!!! Still it should be worth waiting for.
Truffle Finder.
henrysimpole.com

#54 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• 23,367 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2009 - 13:01

George

Either Farsi or Arabic. I'd love to have a line from a prayer. Or maybe the Greatest Name if connecting so it will wrap becomes an issue. There's some beautiful calligraphy out there and the flowing shapes seem like they would lend themselves.

#55 GeorgeWP

GeorgeWP

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2009 - 14:58

George

Either Farsi or Arabic. I'd love to have a line from a prayer. Or maybe the Greatest Name if connecting so it will wrap becomes an issue. There's some beautiful calligraphy out there and the flowing shapes seem like they would lend themselves.

OK - I'll ask him - he will be the best one to jnow what is possible.

#56 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• 23,367 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2009 - 15:09

Thanks muchly. I can get my hands on samples if he needs ballpark examples. Want to get an idea what's possible before thinking exact designs.

But the idea of holding a prayer in my hands every time I pick up a pen to write is kind of warming.

#57 SimonOW

SimonOW

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2009 - 17:58

Funnily enough, I ordered one of Henry's Acanthus Duofolds before reading this thread. Can't wait to give it an inking.

Graf von Faber-Castell | Conway Stewart | Pelikan | Romain Jerome | ST Dupont | Parker | De La Rue | Wahl-Eversharp | Mabie Todd | Sheaffer | Cross | Montegrappa | Summit | Pilot | Lamy

#58 GeorgeWP

GeorgeWP

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2009 - 21:49

Well don't forget to let us all know what you think of it.

George

#59 GeorgeWP

GeorgeWP

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2009 - 21:53

Thanks muchly. I can get my hands on samples if he needs ballpark examples. Want to get an idea what's possible before thinking exact designs.

But the idea of holding a prayer in my hands every time I pick up a pen to write is kind of warming.

No problem Ghost - I will be going to see Henry at the end of next week - if you would like to PM me with some idea of what you would like, or scans of some samples, I can give them to Henry when I see him and he can get back to you to discuss what can be acheieved within your requirements.
Glad to be of help.

George

#60 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• 23,367 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:48

PM sent with links. Darned board won't let me upload a scan of what I have in mind.