Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

Has Anyone Heard Of Henry Simpole?

• Please log in to reply
3948 replies to this topic

#3931 esterbex

esterbex

Rightly seasoned

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:05

During the whole time that I have been involved with the FPN, I wasn't aware that there was a thread all about the Vanness Pen Shop in Little Rock!

Earlier on this morning, I 'stumbled' on it and had a browse around. It is a very interesting thread, and understandably, everyone seems to be very happy about visiting the shop, and reporting about their visits.

I am hoping to be invited again next year, [as part of the Little Rock Pen Show weekend] to do a 'trunk sale', on the Thursday before the actual pen show. [BTW, it will be taking place on the 27th/28th March 2015.

Hopefully, it will be as good as it has been for the last few years.

Truffle Finder.

Dearest Truffle, the actual date is 27-28 February, 2015. If you show up in March, you will be well received, but no pen show will be occurring in the Little Rock area unless you plan to provide one with your stunning creations solo.  :lol:

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time. ~~Larry Brown

#3932 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:14

Sorry about that error, Esterbex!

I stand corrected!

Truffle Finder.

henrysimpole.com
Beautiful handcrafted fountain pens by Henry Simpole....

#3933 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,450 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 16:27

Just back from Portobello Road.

Thankfully, the weather was dry, and quite mild for this time of the year, so the travelling there and back was quite good.

Sadly there weren't many fountain pen enthusiasts around today, [perhaps they had spent yesterday at the Black Friday sales!]

But thankfully, I sold two nice pens, and picked up two pen repairs from customers, so that should keep me busy for a while this coming week.

Truffle Finder. :)  :excl:

PS. I had a request from a French Lady, who would like me to instruct her on how to make overlays in sheet silver. I have agreed to her request, and it remains to be seen whether she is serious to learn or not, I'll keep you posted!!!

henrysimpole.com

#3934 vannesspen

vannesspen

Extremely Rare

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2014 - 19:00

Dearest Truffle, the actual date is 27-28 February, 2015. If you show up in March, you will be well received, but no pen show will be occurring in the Little Rock area unless you plan to provide one with your stunning creations solo.  :lol:

Can't wait to see you and your marvelous creations- Will you be requesting cornbread again this year?

#3935 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,450 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 19:29

Hi Lisa!

No, I'm off Corn Bread at the moment, Hot Dogs are what I'm looking forward to while I'm there at the shop on the Thursday before the show starts!

With just about all the trimmings!

Truffle Finder. :wub:  :P  :excl:

henrysimpole.com

#3936 billydo

billydo

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2014 - 20:12

Sorting through some old external drives I remembered these pictures from 2007 and thought that they might interest fans of Henry's work. These images were at one time displayed on Henry's website, but were removed following news of a case in the US involving someone who was allegedly being threatened by Montblanc over the customisation of their pens. Rather than run the risk of something similar we took the images offline, never to be seen again... until now of course! I don't know what came of the legal case, perhaps someone that side of the pond can enlighten us all? 

I love the design work on these Montblancs and think that the overlay works really well with the classic MB design. However, I know that the tapering barrel of the original pen was a huge challenge for Henry and I'm pretty certain that he has never created anything similar on any other MB pen.

fpn_1417378297__image_226_v2.jpg

fpn_1417378212__image_218_v2.jpg

fpn_1417378106__image_212_v2.jpg

#3937 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,640 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2014 - 22:16

Pity. I'd be happy to turn Henry loose on my 149s

#3938 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,450 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:49

Sorry Ghost Plane, but as Neal has already said, the problem with trying to fit an overlay on a tapered pen barrel or cap is sooooooooooooooooo difficult that I vowed that I would never try to attempt such an undertaking ever again!

They do look rather lovely though, don't they?

I was asked if I would do them for an older gentleman collector friend of mine, who wanted to buy his two sons presents, [neither of them use or even like Fountain Pens BTW!] so consequently I had to work on those two ball-points! Never again though!

Truffle Finder. :)  :D  :excl:

henrysimpole.com

#3939 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,450 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 16:26

A few weeks ago, I was sent a French Watermans Serenite Pen, which had been accidentally been dropped on a flagstone floor! This major accident had left both the cap, and the barrel in a quite terrible state.

The cap had a crack which ran across the flat top of the cap, and then traversed through the hole where the clip was fitted, and then stopped about halfway down the cap!

The barrel had not been so lucky when this accident happened! There was a triangular 'space' at the back end of the barrel where there should have been plastic, following the curved outline of the barrel! Sadly the plastic 'bits' were not sent to me with the pen, which meant that I was going to have to re-create the missing 'space'! The measurements of the triangular hole were approximately as follows:- 2 cms from left to right, at the base of the triangle, and 3 cms from the base, to the top of the the triangle. There were also two long hairline cracks which went along the barrel about two-thirds of the way down towards the nib!

Shortly after I received the pen, I telephoned the owner, and explained that it was not going to be an easy job, and that I doubted that it would be an 'invisible' repair. I also mentioned that it was possible that I might not succeed in completing the repair at all!

I suppose that it was because of my uncertainty regarding the success of the repair that I didn't think about sending the pen off to Neal to have the 'before' pictures done, so, unfortunately there are only the 'after' pictures to see now!

Probably the most important part of the repair was to locate a thin cylinder into the recess at the back end of the barrel. There are two reasons why this is crucial to the repair, 1] to assist in locating the cap when it is 'posted'. 2] there had to be something in the space for the liquid resin to rest on while it sets!

I'm sorry if my explanation of this very complicated repair has clarified [rather than mystified] what I have done with this pen.

Neal has told me that he will be posting the images fairly soon on this thread, so I will leave it to you to decide what you might think about the repair.

Truffle Finder.  :)  :excl:

henrysimpole.com

#3940 billydo

billydo

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2014 - 16:33

Viola....

fpn_1417797194__henry_serenite_2014.jpg

#3941 esterbex

esterbex

Rightly seasoned

• Premium - Emerald

• 2,799 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2014 - 17:38

Voilà indeed!

From my understanding, the pen was unusable in its previous state and is also out of production?

Kudos for restoring it to use! 

#3942 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,277 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2014 - 22:52

It was Waterman's most expensive pen in the normal range, a step above the Edson.

I have held it but was underwhelmed. The section is almost nonexistent, it is the small ring between that decoration and the nib. Quite awkward to hold when unscrewing to change inks. You hold the barrel, not the section.

The looks are a matter of taste.. I sort of like the looks, it reminds me of a Japanese Katana.

Because of the shape it will be difficult to repair. If Henry complained about the difficulties of making an overlay for the curved MBs he certainly will not be happy with this chore....

D.ick

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation. :

#3943 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,450 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 18:06

Just over a week ago, I mentioned that a French Lady had approached me at my booth at Portobello, to ask if I would be prepared to show her how to make metal overlays for pens! I told her at the time that I would be prepared to do it. 

This week, the lady turned up again at my stand, [along with her mother, who happens to be over here for a couple of weeks], and it was very clear to me that her enthusiasm has not dimmed since I saw her last time we met.

We left it that we would leave it until the New Year. Actually I'm quite looking forward to doing this as a project.

Truffle Finder. :)

henrysimpole.com

#3944 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,450 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 14:24

I've just got off the phone, having talked to the lady owner of the French Watermans Serenite Pen which I repaired a little while ago.

She was amazed by the result! And was looking forward to being able to use the pen again.

She thanked me very much, and told me that her cheque would be in the post.

It is always so nice to hear such things vocally, as opposed to reading a letter. 

Truffle Finder. :)

henrysimpole.com

#3945 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,450 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:17

A couple of weeks ago, I was looking through the things on the top shelf of my safe, and I came across a small bag with two Snake patterned  clips [in 18ct gold!] The emerald eyes had already been set in the eyes of the Snakes, so I immediately thought that I ought to get two Snake patterned body overlays done to match them.

Over the last two weeks, I have had them both cast, and the eyes have also been set, so now the next thing will be to get the base-pens made up.

They will certainly boost my basic stock of gold overlaid pens.

Truffle Finder. :)  :excl:

henrysimpole.com

#3946 esterbex

esterbex

Rightly seasoned

• Premium - Emerald

• 2,799 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2014 - 13:40

The things you "re-discover"...... It's good that some of them are attached to your neck.... :lol:

#3947 esterbex

esterbex

Rightly seasoned

• Premium - Emerald

• 2,799 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2014 - 13:49

If you haven't read it, please do so now so that you're not caught unawares....The notice at the top of the page and linked here: Changes to FPN  ;)

#3948 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,450 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:19

Having 'cleared the decks' of the pen repairs which had come in over the last week, I decided to have a look around some of the small boxes of vintage pens which have been sitting around in my workshop.

I struck lucky when I opened a Thornton's Chocolate box on one of the shelves near the work-bench. There must have been about 40 odd vintage pens in there,, and I looked at them more closely, and sorted out about 20 of them which are definitely worth cleaning up and repairing.

So far, I have done about five of them, and I am hoping that the others will be done by the end of the day!

They will make a nice addition to my basic stock!

Truffle finder. :)  

henrysimpole.com

#3949 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,450 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 19:34

Take a guess what I found in another one of the storage boxes? 

A Watermans 94, in red agate [or onyx, I can't quite remember!] which in true Watermans tradition had lost it's clip, and needed a replacement No4 nib to be fitted.

I looked through my Watermans spares draw, and found a 'mint' clip on a black propelling pencil, and then set about doing the work on it.

It is now sitting firmly on a piece of 'Blue-Tack' beautifully cleaned and polished, waiting for the glue to set, to keep the clip in place.

I can't wait to come down tomorrow morning, and inspect it! Something I always look forward to.

Truffle Finder. :)  :D

henrysimpole.com