Has Anyone Heard Of Henry Simpole?

GeorgeWP

Chris!

The 'Bedford' hotel is the name of the hotel by the bridge, but the parking situation in Tavistock nowadays is such that I would be surprised if they would graciously let you park in their car park, for the day! :roflmho: In times gone by, I don't doubt that they would have done, but not anymore, sadly. :crybaby:

Back to the repairs!

Truffle Finder. :rolleyes:

Thank you Henry! I should have remembered that name, as I've been a guest there, with Tim and Julie just after Christmas 1999 when the place froze solid and all we could do was stand at the door and watch the public trying to keep upright!!! In 2002 I visited again...this time with Tim and Julie and Ray. That was in May, such a different place in spring! :cloud9:

No doubt the parking has got impossible, whoever decided to make the motorway access to the West Country never thought about where all those cars would go when they stopped. Before I left St Ives I could get £10 a night for my spare car space from the holiday makers in the apartments nearby! Hey-ho!

Thanks for the memories!!! :crybaby:

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffle Finder

• esterbex

• Ghost Plane

• Chris Chalmers

Fear not Esterbex, it has got your name on it! [Well it hasn't, but it won't be going anywhere!] :embarrassed_smile:

BTW, the pen that I had initially thought was a Conway Stewart Dandy, turns out to be an 'elongated' Dinkie, which sadly has lost it's lever, but I'm sure that I can find a replacement in the C/S draw, so that will keep me busy later today. When it's done, it will go straight in to my Dinkie collection! :rolleyes:

Happy days!!!

Truffle Finder. :rolleyes:

You and your Dinkies, me and my Esties....cloud9.gif

Thank you for enabling my addiction.

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

Great news! I've had an inquiry about a lady who wants to buy one of my overlay pens for her husband's 50th birthday present.

I spoke to her this morning, and she is going to ring me back to let me know whether they will be coming up to see me at Portobello Road, or at the workshop, [bTW, I have warned her that it is a bit untidy!] :embarrassed_smile:

We'll see what happens. :rolleyes:

Truffle Finder. :thumbup:

That sounds very promising Henry! Just goes to show that significant birthdays do mean something!!! Any idea what they have in mind? :eureka:

Make it count!!!

Looky what I got today!!!

Mine!

Edited by esterbex

~~Larry Brown

Well done Wendi!

Henry's website homepage has been updated with the first picture of the bespoke design that he discussed a week or so ago.... the pen that was commissioned, then cancelled and is now looking for a new home.... here's the link:

http://www.henrysimpole.com/

It's the very first pen that appears when the site loads, with a small gold journal in the left corner. It's a nameless pen I believe (?) but Henry will no doubt discuss in detail. I really like the design! There will be more pictures in a gallery portfolio as soon as possible, I'll update everyone when the images have loaded.

Enjoy!

Neal.

Thanks Neal! What a beauty!!!

I hope you are feeling better.......take it easy mate! :thumbup:

Make it count!!!

I had a phone call yesterday morning, from Plymouth, to inform me that the base-pens for the 'Fairy Series' have at last been done! :rolleyes:

The delay was down to the workload of Graham [who makes the base-pens for me] at his place of work, but he has resolved the problem which caused the delay, and I can't wait to pick them up, while I'm down there this coming week.

Hopefully some pictures will appear here soon. :embarrassed_smile:

Have to add I love that Peacock Blue. I learned to write cursive using Peacock Blue and a No Nonsense M nib as our local store never carried anything but M nibs. :rolleyes:

Beautiful Chris!

That ink reminds me of Waterman South Sea. Another pen person told me that they often find that colour in vintage pens upon cleaning and restoring them, especially in Parker 51's. So apparently Peacock was all the rage at one time.

Is that your Spirit's kimono underneath? Such lovely fabric! :puddle:

~~Larry Brown

Many thanks to GP for posting the photo for me, I have to admit my laziness pushed me to ask for that big favour! :cloud9:

Hi Wendi! That kimono beneath is the one my Japanese pens live in, and was made for me about eight years ago when Elizabeth Wild made them for Pentrace people. I should have shown the kimono the Spirit pen has for herself...another made of old kimono silk, but red with black lining, and one to hold just one pen....what else would any Spirit pen expect? Right now my desk is all about cuddles from and in vintage kimono silk for many pens....I think they are having a party!! :roflmho:

For the first day of Summer here we are suffering very hot weather on the mainland....we had a stinker yesterday, and now high winds whip up bush fires! Come back Winter!!!! :notworthy1:

Edited to add my comments on that ink, which is from the yellow boxed vintage ink, so could be quite old, nearly as old as I am? That ink started a long and lovely snail friendship for me, one still going strong! It is a wonderful colour, and usually reserved for my MB 236! :wub:

Edited by Chris Chalmers

Make it count!!!

My grade school pen only used carts, but I think Dad's desk pens used ink from a yellow box, so that sounds about right for age. :hmm1:

Oh good! I was told it was from the 40s, that's the 1940s!!! :unsure:

I forgot to express my absolute delight at the mention of Flower Fairy pens!!!! :puddle: :cloud9: :notworthy1:

Go get 'em Henry!!!

Make it count!!!

I've had a change of plan! Instead of getting up at the crack of dawn, I slept in until 8.00am [i was told that it was going to be -3 degrees outside, this morning,] so now I will be leaving at the more civilised time of about 10.am to drive to the West Country. :embarrassed_smile:

Yesterday at Portobello, was quite good, yet another 'flexible nib' gentleman arrived to try some pens, and after a reasonable amount of time he left with two pens which I hope he will be very happy with.

You never know, perhaps he will post something about his visit on here! ;)

Shortly after I had got back home, a good friend of mine had arrived to do a bit of 'pen-trading', which was a pleasant ending to a very satisfying day. I now have a vintage pen which will be the next design for an overlaid pen, it is a stunning design, and I can't wait to do it!

As soon as I have the opportunity, I will get some pictures posted on this thread. :rolleyes:

Well, I'd better get ready to go now.

A beautiful pen with a sad story.....left at the altar so to speak. ohmy.gif

I have no doubt someone will fall in love and take it home for their very own.

Beautiful photography Neal! That cigar/pen case is lovely too. puddle.gif

~~Larry Brown

I've had a change of plan! Instead of getting up at the crack of dawn, I slept in until 8.00am [i was told that it was going to be -3 degrees outside, this morning,] so now I will be leaving at the more civilised time of about 10.am to drive to the West Country. :embarrassed_smile:

Yesterday at Portobello, was quite good, yet another 'flexible nib' gentleman arrived to try some pens, and after a reasonable amount of time he left with two pens which I hope he will be very happy with.

Shortly after I had got back home, a good friend of mine had arrived to do a bit of 'pen-trading', which was a pleasant ending to a very satisfying day. I now have a vintage pen which will be the next design for an overlaid pen, it is a stunning design, and I can't wait to do it!

As soon as I have the opportunity, I will get some pictures posted on this thread. :rolleyes:

The Truffle should be arriving shortly! Hope your trip was safe and pleasant. blush.gif

~~Larry Brown

Hi, it is the 'flexible nib' gentleman here. After my visit to Portobello market I remembered about this thread and so decided to take a quick look and to my surprise I had found myself mentioned in Henry's post. After meeting Henry on a few ocassions at Portobello and at the London pen show, I finally had the pleasure to buy a couple of pens from him. As I told Henry during my visit, I am much more of an observer at the forums, so this will be my first post here at FPN. I am very happy with the two pens I acquired yesterday and felt compelled to include a small writing sample, from each of the pens. A lovely Swan S.F.130B, with a number 1 nib and an unknown leverless Swan with a number 4 nib, that lacks any imprints so I am not sure exactly which model it is.

post-87482-0-11760800-1354478850.jpg

post-87482-0-28365200-1354473781.jpg

Sadly my writing is not very good, as I am still perfecting my flex writing skills and I don't have much experience with italics. Below is a picture of the pens and a close up of the lovely nibs.

post-87482-0-02529400-1354474694.jpg

post-87482-0-48676100-1354474609.jpg

I thoroughly enjoyed myself yesterday, with Henry being incredibly accommodating I had the chance to try out many wonderful pens and I will hopefully be visitng his stall again soon.

edit: The previous sample above does the wonderful oblique italic nib no justice, so I have inculded another one below, that though not perfect hopefully better represents what the nib is capable of.

post-87482-0-50496000-1354478711.jpg

Edited by APersonOfSorts