Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 18:27

Hope the wait hasn't been too long?

IMGP5284.JPG

IMGP5285.JPG

Sorry, my photography "skills" aren't anywhere near the same league as Neal's.

And if you can cope with my scribble, the review can be found at:

http://www.fountainp...verlay-capband/

Can you tell that I like it  :puddle:

#3812 View from the Loft

View from the Loft

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 874 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 18:28

Truffle, hope your day at Portobello continued as it seems to have started.

#3813 da vinci

da vinci

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 19:04

Hope the wait hasn't been too long?

attachicon.gifIMGP5284.JPG
attachicon.gifIMGP5285.JPG

Sorry, my photography "skills" aren't anywhere near the same league as Neal's.

And if you can cope with my scribble, the review can be found at:

http://www.fountainp...verlay-capband/

Can you tell that I like it  :puddle:

Looks wonderful - thanks for sharing :thumbup:

The CS italic nibs are in my experience with IF and IM sizes, excellent. Enjoy your IB!

#3814 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,390 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:03

Hi there, 'View from the loft!' I must apologise! That was the second time that we have met, and it was the second time that I did not realise that you are View from the Loft!

I suppose it is an understandable mistake, after all, you don not have it written on a badge anywhere about your person!

Anyway, I'm pleased that you are happy with the pen, and yes, it turned out to be just as busy a day at Portobello, as it had started. Several Americans came along, and tried various vintage pens [and bought ones that they fancied!] and at times there were people waiting for the previous customer to finish, before they could see me!

Time flew by, and by the time my friend Tim turned up, I realised that I was actually quite tired! [I must be getting old!]

I was offered quite a few pens to buy during the day, nothing extraordinary, but basically 'good stock-fill' so I was very happy with the pens that I bought.

All in all, it was a good day. :)  :D 

Truffle Finder. 

henrysimpole.com
Beautiful handcrafted fountain pens by Henry Simpole....

#3815 View from the Loft

View from the Loft

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 874 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:19

Dear Truffle,

There are so many people that participate in this thread that you can't be expected to remember who we all are in real life or on here.

The pen is superb, and has had a good workout (three convertor fills through it already :) ), however, it has wiped out my budget for the London show (ah well, I'll just stock up on ink there and save on post costs).

View

#3816 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,390 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 14:07

Of course, having such a 'hunocorously' broad italic nib in the pen, that you have, it is hardly surprising that you have gone through 3 convertor-fills of ink in such a short period of time! My everyday user-pen is a Sheaffer, with an equally broad italic nib and I'm forever filling it up!

I'm pleased that you are enjoying the pen so much.

Truffle Finder. :)  :excl:  

henrysimpole.com

#3817 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,390 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:40

OK, so has anybody just come back from the Washington Pen Show, with lots of photographs then????

It might be nice to see how the Onoto/Conway Stewart fraternity did there!

How about it then?

Truffle Finder. :)  :D  :excl:

henrysimpole.com

#3818 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• 2,794 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 19:00

OK, so has anybody just come back from the Washington Pen Show, with lots of photographs then????

It might be nice to see how the Onoto/Conway Stewart fraternity did there!

How about it then?

There was a good photo spread on another pen forum, and I'm pretty sure I saw pics of the Marilyn pen there. If FPN people don't step up with photos, I'll post a link to that one...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#3819 esterbex

esterbex

Rightly seasoned

• Premium - Emerald

• 2,772 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2014 - 23:37

Well sad to say that the Arkansas contingent was too covered in people trying to get to the Akkerman ink to get around the floor to snap many pics.  :(

But here are some that may have meaning for you dear Truffle.  Alastair Adams (Onoto/Conway Stewart) represented the Britons in Johnny English style,

which was quite well received, seeing as how many of the male vendors coveted his Union Jack vest...he had several requests to buy it off his back.

You can fuzzily see Marilyn posted in the corner here....That's as close as I could get without disturbing business.... :wacko:

10505305_10203419605228292_8448860949878

1511715_10203419626268818_52444336402966

These two send their hellos....

10609675_10203419365342295_7177418313890

This one sends his greetings and will see you in October at the London show....

10474258_10203942776025349_4333146467378

And this was pretty much the state of affairs when away from the show floor....

10537447_10203937023241533_4490996290619

10570519_10203419591227942_1948664924136

995617_10203937021041478_792765356905167

You should have been there, Truffle....I think you'd have done quite well....The weather was splendid and so were the bank accounts of those in attendance. ;)

And there were enough Brits to keep you company should you have been homesick.... B)  

It was a wonderful show. :happy:

Now I'm off to troll other forums to see if any more show pics have turned up....

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time. ~~Larry Brown

#3820 esterbex

esterbex

Rightly seasoned

• Premium - Emerald

• 2,772 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2014 - 00:16

Here's an FPN post I thought might be of interest, regarding the new CS 100 with Simpole cap band....Have you seen this already Truffle?

Conway Stewart 100 Going Back Into Production

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time. ~~Larry Brown

#3821 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,390 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:34

I had reason to visit the new Conway Stewart Web-site just recently, and the first thing that struck me was the fantastic photography!

The layout has been changed completely, and as a consequence everything is much easier to find, as opposed to the 'maize' of things on the 'old style' of layout! :huh:

Yesterday's Portobello stint was surprisingly brisk for this time of year, and it was made slightly more complicated by virtue of an old friend of mine from about 45 years ago turned up completely out of the blue, to say hello after all those years! In those days, we all knew him as 'Spence', [I've no idea why except that it might have been taken from the Spencer Davis group from the 60's!] So, in between customers, we chewed the fat about old times, and old friends, and what became of everybody that we had known from that long ago. It was quite fascinating, and I sincerely hope that we will meet up again, when he is over here again, [he now lives in Venice Beach in California!]

I'm planning not to be too busy today, it must be all that talking yesterday, but I'm feeling a bit tired today! Maybe I'm just getting old! :unsure:

henrysimpole.com

#3822 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,390 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:50

I had the pleasure of going out for lunch with Steven Hull on Monday, it's always nice to see him, and it was particularly good to see him this week, because the last time we had met was at the last London Pen Show, but then only briefly, as we were both pretty busy 'doing deals', and catching up with people who we don't necessarily see that often.

As he is the recognised 'Guru' of all things Conway Stewart, [and Swan, and Onoto, historically speaking!] most of our conversation was about the linking up of Onoto and Conway Stewart. He is quite familiar with Alistair Adams, and we both agreed that the link up between the two companies makes total logistical sense. All changes and improvements will obviously have to be delivered sensitively, but hopefully the two companies can compliment each other, in the future. Although we both stand on the side-lines of this marriage, we both hope that everything should benefit both parties.

Truffle Finder. :)

henrysimpole.com