Noodler's Ink: Tiananmen

Signum1

Here's another ink from Noodler's Ink known as Tiananmen. Enjoy.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/5050/scannedimage7s.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Signum1

• PatientType

• penguinmaster

• limesally

I use this ink and like it. It's a nice look for letters, especially on gray or beige paper. I'm fond of dark reds and I like the label. I also have some Widow Maker that is equally nice to write with but with a somewhat less attractive label as I've always had an aversion to black widow spiders.

Thanks for the nice review including some written samples and comparisons. This is still my favorite dark-red ink because of its somber color. I have been using it in my favorite yellow VP fine nib for a few months and it still works like a charm. It's dark enough to the point that sometimes I just wrote a couple of pages of notes with it and use it in front of others. The darkish blood-red tint is also a good ice-breaker for others who "may" not even know that fountain pens can write in real colors other than black.

With Aloha,

Clarence

I always enjoy your ink reviews: you have lovely handwriting, and you use broad nibs! Broad italic nibs! Most importantly, the colors of the inks portrayed in your reviews are true to life--very accurate. I appreciate the water tests, too. Keep up the good work! :2thumbsup:

I just received this ink today and I really like the color too. I used it in a fine nib al-star and the color looked great. It hits that spot right between a red-black and red.

Didn't see this review the first time around! Thanks! Another red to add to the list!

-Tom

Really nice review and I love looking at your calligraphy!

I like this ink too - funny, I was just thinking that I haven't used it in a while. You've pushed me over the edge, I'm going to fill something with it tomorrow.

Didn't see this review the first time around! Thanks! Another red to add to the list!

-Tom

Really nice review and I love looking at your calligraphy!

I like this ink too - funny, I was just thinking that I haven't used it in a while. You've pushed me over the edge, I'm going to fill something with it tomorrow.

limesally,

Not just you, I'm the biggest fan of all regarding my own handwriting. lol. Yes, that was a shameless admission on my part. :)

PM,

You're welcome. Make sure you load the ink into the custom Pearl (the one that has a bit of Glenmont resemblance) and post a review here.

Nice review, so good that I purchased a bottle, result....

Flushed Visconti Red from my Visconti Van Gogh Maxi (Black) and filled it with Noodlers Tiananmen.

I was disappointed with the Visconti red as it is more of a muddy-brown colour...

I am now disappointed with the Noodlers Tiananmen too; it’s almost the same as the Visconti red...

Only hope that the Diamine Poppy Red that is in the post to me is brighter and true red than the above!

Not to say the trying the Tiananmen was a waste of time or money, it will be added to a box of inks to be offered on the 'Wanted to Trade' forum.

Again, nice review...

Signum :

Interesting ink... I'd really like to see a good comparison between Tiananmen, Widow Maker, and Red-Black from Noodler's.

I don't want this ink necessarily to be bright red - I have Skrip Red (Slovenian) and Herbin Rouge Opéra for those shades. But a decent really dark red, and one that seems to have some water resistance from your test, yeah, that might well be a "user ink" for me.

As always, thanks for the reviews with a broader nib - there are fair number of us out there using nibs other than extra-fine !

John P.

How does the darkness/shading of the line compare in a F or XF nib? It looks like a lovely deep colour through that broad nib, does that carry over?

Platinum 3776 - F, Pilot Decimo - F, TWSBI Vac Mini - 1.1i

Signum :

Interesting ink... I'd really like to see a good comparison between Tiananmen, Widow Maker, and Red-Black from Noodler's.

I don't want this ink necessarily to be bright red - I have Skrip Red (Slovenian) and Herbin Rouge Opéra for those shades. But a decent really dark red, and one that seems to have some water resistance from your test, yeah, that might well be a "user ink" for me.

As always, thanks for the reviews with a broader nib - there are fair number of us out there using nibs other than extra-fine !

John P.

The only ink in the list in your first line that's water resistant is Red/Black. all the rest won't stand up to water.

Sent you a PM, by the bye: have all the colors you mention and a few more reds. Let me know and I can send Qtip swabs of those colors so you can see differences

Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL

For those that like a deep, dark, rich, blood red Widow Maker is probably your choice. To my eye, at least, it retains it's dark red quality when drying and doesn't turn into a red/brown.

How does the darkness/shading of the line compare in a F or XF nib? It looks like a lovely deep colour through that broad nib, does that carry over?

Highbinder,

It depends on your F or XF nib. If you have a wet fine or extra fine nib, then you'll likely see similar results as my broad nib. However, if you have a dry nib, then shading may exist. I wrote many ink reviews with a fine nib in the Comparison part of the review so readers can compare the ink to the broad nib that was used for the overall write-up of a particular ink review. I suggest you look at the ink review index to see if I've done an ink you have in your possession to see if the ink is consistent under both a fine and a broad nib.

Signum