Looking for the Range Rover or Hummer of FP's

StanSoph

To be a true Hummer of fountain pens, a pen would have to use up far more ink than was necessary.

;)

Stephen

Also, the pen should attract the ladies. Seriously though, I think that ease and capacity of the filling process is also important. To that extent I would consider a piston filler over the cartridge and converter types- but then that's just me. Pelikan is unbeatable in this catagory. However, Bexley's Prometheus(sp?) looks promising. I have one of their Scherizade's (piston filler) and the piston mechanizm works really well. I have not heard many good things about Conklin's word guage (inconsistent quality) and always hear bad things about the Italian piston fillers (again inconsistent quality). Now, if only Sailor made a piston filler as their nibs are to die for!

Edited by formerchickenscratcher

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• *david*

• StanSoph

• Ron Z

• meanwhile

The new MB's Boheme have a medium and a big FP (platninum or gold) with a retractable nib... oh so cool ... and they are in the price range, and look stylish...

The problem with the retractable Boheme is that the back end swings open. Not one to carry in you pocket without a case. Come to think of it, with the precocious resin, you wouldn't want to carry it in your pocket without a case even if the back end didn't swing open.

The aluminum Kaweco sport is a very solid pen, one that could handle any amount of knocking about without any problems.

Rotring Core - you'd have to get used to the funky section. It might work for some folks, but it's never felt right to me..

Nobody has mentioned the Rotring 600/Newton. The "newer" version of the 600 has a good cap clutch that holds the cap on quite firmly, and will last a long time. They can be found for about $50.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Now, if only Sailor made a piston filler as their nibs are to die for!

A helical piston filling Sailor is *exactly* the pen I'd like to buy. Or even a really well-engineered eye dropper. A squeeze convertor, conventional nib and opaque resin body seems so boring - it's the reason I've almost bought a 1911 several times in the past couple of months and always bought a vintage pen instead.

Of course, if I actually tried a 1911 and found that it wrote better than, say, my vintage Balance or a Sheaffer inlaid nib, that would change everything.

- Jonathan

I have one of the new version of the rotring 600's (I bought it from lewertowski on eBay -- no affiliation, just a happy customer, etc) and I have to admit that it's the most durable pen I've got. Good solid nib, an audible *snap* when you click the cap on, and the gentle suspicion that you could use it as a club if you ever needed to defend yourself :). Mind you, if you like thicker pens, I should warn that the section on it is fairly narrow (but relative to a Vector, I suspect you'll be fine).

cheers,

--joey

If you are looking for a sturdy, stylish, reliable pen, check out the MB144 Solitaire. It is my special rugged pen for when I go camping or motor riding. I always take the stainless steel pen with me. Without fountain pen would be unarmed and naked, and the MB144 SSSI is a perfect companion on motor cycle rides :lol: .

But then, I do not know if it would survive being driven over by a RR or H. :roflmho:

Bird Splat on Stainless Steel... The Montblanc Solitaire 144 Stainless Steel

http://home.planet.nl/~flere-imsaho/mbsolss1/mbsolss1l.jpg

Enjoy,

/:) Hans.

Edited by Hans Geelen

smilehttp://home.kpn.nl/geele160/pinno.gifand enjoy the moment

Hmmm...the "Hummer of pens?" I'll go along with the Rotring 600 - amazingly durable, yet surprisingly well balanced. Plus, no one in Starbucks will mess with you! :D

The "Range Rover of pens"? I'm not sure...what pen is horribly overpriced, gets awful ink milage, breaks with great regularity, and costs a small fortune for even minor repairs? :ltcapd:

-=[ Grant ]=-

How does the 600 compare to the initial?

Stephen

Current Favorite Inks

Noodlers La Reine Mauve Noodlers Walnut

Thanks again for the advice and opinions. I have an update. While at the stationery store I test drove a number of fine pens; all were nice some more than others. I purchased the Waterman Expert II with a fine nib. It runs very smooth and suits my handwriting style quite well; I am a bastardized interconnected italics scribbler. After writing yesterday I have determined the fine nib may be a shade too fine to really accent my style. So what did I do? I called the shop to inquire about the MB Boheme Onyx in medium nib; in stock. I am going to the shop today to test drive. I have my fingers crossed that the medium nib will fall between the Waterman and my vector. If it doesn't they can order/swap for a fine nib. Do the MB nibs run fat or thin? I think the Boheme with the retractable nib and cap in a thin leather case will work great in the front pocket.

I don't look at the Waterman as a mistake; it's a great pen. I look at it as an opportunity to get another pen.

Thanks again for the help. If I get too carried away I will probably be asking for help of a different kind.

Overachieving Underachiever

All posts edited by my dog

How does the 600 compare to the initial?

I think that the 600 is a much better pen.

Initial - plastic barrel, metal cap, wide rigid nib, the same one used on the Core. The Inital is a rather large pen. Clip has teeth on the ball. My son's (now mine) leaks even after being sent back to Sanford for repair. Not a real success story IMHO. Frankly, I think that the Freeway is a better pen than the Initial.

The 600 is all metal, including the section and section threads. It's about as bullet proof as you can get. A friend bought one to carry in place of a kubicon. It's not a pen that you want to post because the cap upsets the balance of the pen. Rather "industrial" in design, but a well made pen.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Ron - while I agree that the 600 is probably a better pen, I have to point out that the nib on the Initial is quite different in design and feel from the Core. It has some slight cosmetic similarities, but no more.

Ron - while I agree that the 600 is probably a better pen, I have to point out that the nib on the Initial is quite different in design and feel from the Core. It has some slight cosmetic similarities, but no more.

Well, they feel about the same to me..... :sick:

I will admit to going by memory rather than a side-by-side check. I try not to look at a core any longer than I have to. :D

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens

I will admit to going by memory rather than a side-by-side check. I try not to look at a core any longer than I have to. :D

I don't blame you. If you don't like it, you don't like it.

When I compare them side by side, I get the impression of "different design, same marketing department".

Update--I picked up the Boheme today and it has a medium nib. I am trying hard to like the fatter lines and the smoothness of the strokes. Is it possible to warm up to medium nibs? Will I be forever branded a Fine Nibbler?

Overachieving Underachiever

All posts edited by my dog

You might try an ink that shades a bit, so you can get the benefit of the somewhat thicker line. Or just a color you find really luscious, so you can enjoy how much *more* of it there is!

Failing that, you can just send it right on over to me!

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Update--I picked up the Boheme today and it has a medium nib. I am trying hard to like the fatter lines and the smoothness of the strokes. Is it possible to warm up to medium nibs? Will I be forever branded a Fine Nibbler?

You may like it, or you may not. Some people do just like fine nibs better. Maybe your style of writing is better suited to a narrower line.

Can you exchange your Bohème for a fine nib? I don't know MB's policies but it wouldn't hurt to ask where you bought it.

Worst possible, you might have to sell it - I'm sure someone would buy it if it came to that. But probably there are easier/better options.

Edited by *david*