Sf Bay Area Pen Posse

PatientType

Ethernautrix,

May I suggest you name your car "Nomas"? Just so you'll always remember that you gave up on acquiring an Omas LE in favor of this car! :)

S.T. Dupont Ellipsis 18kt M nib

Opus 88 Flow steel M nib

Waterman Man 100 Patrician Coral Red 18kt factory stub nib

Franklin-Christoph Model 19 with Masuyama 0.7mm steel cursive italic nib

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ethernautrix

• Deirdre

• PatientType

• AltecGreen

Well... lovin' that Ray Charles, Todd, and the inspiration to consider yet another name, but I can't bring myself to name my car

No car shall be called Willie. An old Ford pick-up perhaps but not a car.

I've owned a lot of early 60s Valiants and Darts. They have all had names when I got them except one. I've never named it officially but someone did scratch the name Jeff into the hood one day. I'm not fond of the name Jeff for a car. There is one name you can not use because I have a car with that name.

So we have:

Smudge-No

Smudgy-No

Smudgeon?

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I've owned a lot of early 60s Valiants and Darts. They have all had names when I got them except one. I've never named it officially but someone did scratch the name Jeff into the hood one day. I'm not fond of the name Jeff for a car. There is one name you can not use because I have a car with that name.

So we have:

Smudge-No

Smudgy-No

Smudgeon?

Todd

D and I drove his '67 Plymouth Valiant across the country some years ago. He bought the car from the son of a little old lady, the original owner, who had put maybe three or four thousand miles on it in twenty years. The plastic was still on the seats. It had the old yellow on black license plates. He didn't name the car, but I kept wanting to call it Prince.

I'm taking the HCLX up north along the coast for a few days, see if a name makes itself known. I might make it as far as Oregon or Washington or Vancouver. Don't know. I'm not rushing, at least not while I'm sitting here thinking about it. I might change my mind once I start driving.

Have fun at Pen Posse. I hope some newbies and lurkers show up! (We don't bite! Hard.) (Heh.)

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

So, did we settle on a date and place??

Kev

Although I believe a PM would offer a less redundant way to answer Kevin's question, considering all the above postings, I have consulted them and here I go:

We are meeting Saturday, October 17, at 5:30 p.m., in Splicer's studio. That's Studio 13, at 2425 17th Street, San Francisco. The theme is "bring small pens." One of the above messages asks rhetorically what small pens Winedoc is going to bring. (We enjoy living in suspense.)

After the meeting we plan to go out to a restaurant for dinner.

If small pens turn into a theme, it won't be for the reason first suggested. If it does, could somebody please tell me about them later? Or if Snorkels turn into a theme, I'd like to hear too.

Kevin would probably bring eyedroppers big enough for the barrels to hold small pens within.

If anybody has any crack-pattern plastic, you could say that fits the theme of the anniversary of the '89 earthquake. Or you could bring cracked pens. Does anybody know what the pens on seismographs are like?

Oh wow, good thing I happened to check this topic... & I don't have any plans that night either! Well, if I can gather the gumption to drive across the Bay Bridge on quake day & walk into a room full of strangers, I'll come & meet y'all. :blush: *All* of my pens are small!

Oh wow, good thing I happened to check this topic... & I don't have any plans that night either! Well, if I can gather the gumption to drive across the Bay Bridge on quake day & walk into a room full of strangers, I'll come & meet y'all. :blush: *All* of my pens are small!

I logged onto BART and, if you want to avoid that drive, another option would be to take BART to the Mission Street Station and follow the following directions (in reverse - can't make this too easy). Looks like the walk would be manageable ... about 15 minutes.

2425 17th Street San Francisco CA

1.73 mi – about 15 min (Walking)

1. Start out going WEST on 17TH ST toward HAMPSHIRE ST (Gate access required). 0.04

2. Turn RIGHT onto HAMPSHIRE ST. 0.03

3. Turn LEFT onto WALKWAY. Proceed NORTHWEST through FRANKLIN SQUARE (See map for details). 0.16

4. Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto 16TH ST. 0.50

16th St. Mission Station

2000 Mission Street

San Francisco CA 94110

Edited by PatientType

Thanks, I had been debating drive vs. BART, & now that I see there are a zillion other things going on at the same time all over the Mission, I think BART is a better bet. Southern Exposure opening block party, for one thing....

I logged onto BART and, if you want to avoid that drive, another option would be to take BART to the Mission Street Station and follow the following directions (in reverse - can't make this too easy). Looks like the walk would be manageable ... about 15 minutes.

2425 17th Street San Francisco CA

1.73 mi – about 15 min (Walking)

1. Start out going WEST on 17TH ST toward HAMPSHIRE ST (Gate access required). 0.04

2. Turn RIGHT onto HAMPSHIRE ST. 0.03

3. Turn LEFT onto WALKWAY. Proceed NORTHWEST through FRANKLIN SQUARE (See map for details). 0.16

4. Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto 16TH ST. 0.50

16th St. Mission Station

2000 Mission Street

San Francisco CA 94110

How small is small? I don't have any tanker trucks (the 145 is probably the largest), but I do have a wonderful little Tuckaway and a great little Reform 1745 (love that pen even so it's totally low-end).

The room full of strangers is somewhat intimidating for me as well. Plus, I have my boys with me this weekend (had to shuffle the schedule for a business trip), and while they are getting into fountain pens, not everyone is into teenagers...

So, have fun! Enjoy the grown-up night! Please do this again!

MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

This restaurant is about three blocks from Splicer's location. I've never been there but it gets a pretty good review on Yelp.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/i-luv-teriyaki-and-sushi-san-francisco

I ♥ Teriyaki is a decent choice. From the outside it looks like it wouldn't be very good, but I've eaten there several times and I'll likely eat there again. It's not my favorite in the city, but if it weren't good I wouldn't be a repeat customer. It's good for larger groups since it's not usually busy and we can push tables together if need be.

Good call.

Everyone knows that APE is going on today, right? A good pre-Pen Posse activity.

Who are the pen shops in your neighborhood? Find out or tell us where they are, at http://penshops.info/

Blog: http://splicer.com/

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it today as this AM, my wife kindly reminded me that my son has a Karate seminar which I am suppose to take him.... I seriously can't recall the arrangement. LOL. So, you all have fun and sorry to miss visiting Splicer's studio... Ah! life of a father, alas!

Kevin

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

A successful pen posse! Great to see the pen collections and take a look at flexible nibs. I saw a bunch of beautiful pens in real live that have only existed as photos ere now. Even made a pen trade!

Thanks to everyone that came and special thanks to Splicer for hosting. (He does amazing art and has some of the finest pens (meaning they write tiny, tiny lines not that they are molded of solid gold with diamond highlights) that exist. Great meeting folks and putting names & faces to our FPN alter egos.

It was great posse-ing even though we had to cope without our fearless (non) leader ethernautrix.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

It was a great pen posse as usual. My thanks to Splicer for hosting the event and showing us some of his work. It was good to witness the modern flex nib shootout. I'm sure we'll hear more about this once Deidre get the results scanned.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

The modern flex nib shootout was interesting -- I got to cross a couple of pens off my list as I discovered I didn't actually care for the Pilot offerings.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Yes, another successful Posse! Thanks to Splicer for being such a gracious host! AltecGreen's collection (seen in its entirety for the first time) is very impressive -- I particularly remember the vintage Platinum with the enormous converter. Also nice to see a Levenger L-tech in the flesh, as it were. Deirdre's collection of Ti-nibbed Stipulas is growing! The two da Vincis were great to see, and the flex-nib shootout was very interesting. Watch for the results and analysis to be posted soon.

S.T. Dupont Ellipsis 18kt M nib

Opus 88 Flow steel M nib

Waterman Man 100 Patrician Coral Red 18kt factory stub nib

Franklin-Christoph Model 19 with Masuyama 0.7mm steel cursive italic nib

It was a good time, though I don't know that I made a very good "host" considering I didn't have any refreshments available other than tap water. Nevertheless, it was good to meet everyone (including those I'd already met), great to see pens that are totally beyond my current ability to own, and sushi afterwards was good as well! Thanks for coming out and making it a posse!

Who are the pen shops in your neighborhood? Find out or tell us where they are, at http://penshops.info/

Blog: http://splicer.com/