Sf Bay Area Pen Posse

PatientType

Does Berkeley have anything other than Castle? Does the east bay have any other pen store? I wish I had shopped more at Amsterdam Art.

There is a Dick Blick art store two blocks south of Castle in the Air. As far as I know they do not carry fountain pens or ink, but they do have a nice selection of notebooks - all shapes and sizes of Rhodia, Clairefontaine, and Moleskine.

Also, Alko Office Supply is a block from the Cal campus. They have a few fountain pens, although I don't know if that is enough to justify the trek up there from Castle. And Staples is a block or two south of Alko if you want to pick up some bagasse paper.

Edit: There is also a Staples in El Cerrito, right across the street from the El Cerrito del Norte BART station.

Edited by DonQuixote

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ethernautrix

• Deirdre

• PatientType

• AltecGreen

There's also a cool paper place (that I think is different than Blick) a few blocks south of Castle.

Then there's my favorite travel goodie shop, Flight 001.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

So are we settled on 10/10 at Castles in the Air on 4th, at time tbd? Or is it still "up in the air" re: a final decision?

"The surface is all you've got. You can only get beyond the surface by working with the surface." ~Richard Avedon

Of course newbies are welcome! We'd love to meet you, see your pens, let you try our pens (or at least hold them) and inks.

Ralph, it's my understanding we are doing it the 17th. I'll page ethernautrix.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

OH NOES! I'm helping a friend move that day. Anyone want to join THAT party? Hee.

Yeah, the 17th is out for me. In unrelated news, I bought a car yesterday! A 2009 Civic Honda LX in a stately dark gray. No nickname chosen yet.

Well, depending on what time and where on the 17th. If it's between Burlingame and Pacifica, then the location works. Then it depends on the time. Any suggestions? Maybe earlier in the day? Or late? Or...?

P.S. Newbies hella welcome! Lurkers, too! Come on out and get Possed! Or Posse it up. Or, you know... Pen Posse. Yeah.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

OH NOES! I'm helping a friend move that day. Anyone want to join THAT party? Hee.

Yeah, the 17th is out for me. In unrelated news, I bought a car yesterday! A 2009 Civic Honda LX in a stately dark gray. No nickname chosen yet.

Well, depending on what time and where on the 17th. If it's between Burlingame and Pacifica, then the location works. Then it depends on the time. Any suggestions? Maybe earlier in the day? Or late? Or...?

P.S. Newbies hella welcome! Lurkers, too! Come on out and get Possed! Or Posse it up. Or, you know... Pen Posse. Yeah.

Congrats on the new car. The only name suggestion that popped right into my little brain was "Dorian"..........Oscar Wilde would be proud.

Have Camera....Will Travel....Wire SigSauerFan AT Hotmail DOT com

Inveterate trader. Send me a note for my list of pens, watches, knives and other fun things for sale or trade....

The Danitrio Fellowship

Smudge. Call the car Smudge.

T

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Ethernautrix just PM'ed me to say that she understood Pen Posse (the Open Studio version, at Splicer's) to be on 10/10, and that Splicer would be part of the Posse on 10/17, but it wouldn't be at his studio. This confused me, because I thought we had nothing on for 10/10, and that the next Posse would be on 10/17 in Splicer's studio. Of course, two Pen Posses would be twice as much fun, so what's the final picture? Someone please confirm one of the following:

1. 10/10: Castles in the Air; 10/17: meet at Splicer's studio followed by restaurant

2. 10/10: meet at Splicer's Studio followed by restaurant; 10/17: venue TBD, probably a restaurant in SF

3. 10/10: no Posse; 10/17: venue TBD, probably a restaurant in SF

4. Posses on 10/10 and 10/17, venue to be some restaurant on both occasions

S.T. Dupont Ellipsis 18kt M nib

Opus 88 Flow steel M nib

Waterman Man 100 Patrician Coral Red 18kt factory stub nib

Franklin-Christoph Model 19 with Masuyama 0.7mm steel cursive italic nib

There's nothing on the 10th.

We're meeting at Splicer's on the 17th at 5:30 PM. Seems like dinner should follow - after all, we'd be in San Francisco...

Glad that's settled! 10/17, meet at Splicer's Studio at 5:30pm, dinner afterward. Got it.

S.T. Dupont Ellipsis 18kt M nib

Opus 88 Flow steel M nib

Waterman Man 100 Patrician Coral Red 18kt factory stub nib

Franklin-Christoph Model 19 with Masuyama 0.7mm steel cursive italic nib

Whew, glad that's settled, even though I won't be able to make it. Have fun at Splicer's studio, Pen Posse!

I'll be on a ROAD TRIP! for a week or so and won't be back 'til 10/17 (helping a friend move that day).

Still no nickname for the car. Smudge made me laugh, Todd, but the car is too sparkly to be called Smudge. I was thinking "Jack." Road trips? On the road? Jack? But, ah, same problem, too sparkly. Thus...

I should probably decide on a destination, too, for the ROAD TRIP! A destination or, at least, a direction. Northeast or southeast, it's going to be one of those. Heh. (Look, I JUST got the car; that's why I don't know where we're going yet. I have a couple of days to decide. *Laughs*)

etherX in To Miasto

You guys (sans notre ethernautrix?) can share quake stories on the 20th anniversary. Was anybody else on the Golden Gate Bridge?

I'll be landing in Seattle at that time of day, so does anybody know where to eat, or where to (window) shop beyond World Lux? Yes, I should start another topic to fail to rustle up a satellite posse.

Still no nickname for the car. Smudge made me laugh, Todd, but the car is too sparkly to be called Smudge. I was thinking "Jack." Road trips? On the road? Jack? But, ah, same problem, too sparkly.

It is "Hit the road Jack and don't you come back no more no more no more no more."

If not Smudge, how about Smudgey? Smudgey has sparkle and spunk.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

First, I suspect that "Jack" and "on the road" do not refer to "Hit the road, Jack ...." but rather to Jack Kerouac, who wrote a novel called On the Road. But I may be mistaken.

Second, although until a few minutes ago I had plans that would send me elsewhere on October 17, I am now (subject to further news) free to join you at Splicer's studio. Which I look forward to. I've read his blog, I've read his postings here, why not meet the man himself? And even see what he does by way of exhibitable art.

First, I suspect that "Jack" and "on the road" do not refer to "Hit the road, Jack ...." but rather to Jack Kerouac, who wrote a novel called On the Road. But I may be mistaken.

Ethernautrix may have meant something else but I didn't

Well... lovin' that Ray Charles, Todd, and the inspiration to consider yet another name, but I can't bring myself to name my car

etherX in To Miasto