S.T. Dupont vs Montblanc - whose quality is better

pennywise

...Montblanc made two design mistakes with the Meisterstück series, viz., the choice of "Precious Resin" ( a brittle fiberglass-reinforced resin that is prone to crack and even shatter) and the choice to include the section's flared end as part of the nib/feed collar (leading to leaks on the exterior of the section and to breakages that cause the end of the section -- a flange on the collar -- to simply fall off). I consider these two design choices inexcusable, and they are the reason I recommend avoiding these pens.

It should be remembered that dealers that sell a fairly high volume of pens are the ones that also get the pens back that have issues. Richard's remarks are basically the same as those of a dealer I met in Chicago. The gentleman had owned a pen shop for over 20 years and shared Richard's perceptions regarding the MB. I put more stock in what I've heard from the folks that get the customer calls or the pens returned than comments from other users and owners.

A pen user may have written with dozens of a given brand of pen and had good experiences. A pen dealer may sell thousands of pens and when one brand or another has issues, they're likely to hear about them.

Edited by PatientType

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• olivier78860

• georges zaslavsky

• humsin

Lots of good comments on S.T. Dupont pens. Any interest in starting a Dupont forum? I'm too new, but maybe jar or olivier78860 or one of the other "senior members" would take the initiative. I rate Dupont up there with the best (I have 9, including the "Wounded Warrior" that was run over by a car)and my preference is their chinese lacquer models, but I recognize the craftsmanship and artistry of their limited editions as well.

Lots of good comments on S.T. Dupont pens. Any interest in starting a Dupont forum? I'm too new, but maybe jar or olivier78860 or one of the other "senior members" would take the initiative. I rate Dupont up there with the best (I have 9, including the "Wounded Warrior" that was run over by a car)and my preference is their chinese lacquer models, but I recognize the craftsmanship and artistry of their limited editions as well.

A sub-forum isn't to be expected anytime soon, from what I've understood, as S.T. Dupont isn't that exciting a make for most users of this forum. It would be great indeed, though.

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

Just wanted to say thanks for brining this topic back up, had it not been bumped I wouldn't have seen Richard's excellent replies.

Of the two I only own Montblanc but in checking out a number of Duponts they appear at least to my untrained eye of higher quality on the whole and when compared in price.

Not sure why I haven't considered a Dupont, possibly because I think of them as Lighters more than pens, but they do seem very nice and the people at the local pen shop speak highly of them

Thanks

"Semper Ubi Sub Ubi"

...Montblanc made two design mistakes with the Meisterstück series, viz., the choice of "Precious Resin" ( a brittle fiberglass-reinforced resin that is prone to crack and even shatter) and the choice to include the section's flared end as part of the nib/feed collar (leading to leaks on the exterior of the section and to breakages that cause the end of the section -- a flange on the collar -- to simply fall off). I consider these two design choices inexcusable, and they are the reason I recommend avoiding these pens.

It should be remembered that dealers that sell a fairly high volume of pens are the ones that also get the pens back that have issues. Richard's remarks are basically the same as those of a dealer I met in Chicago. The gentleman had owned a pen shop for over 20 years and shared Richard's perceptions regarding the MB. I put more stock in what I've heard from the folks that get the customer calls or the pens returned than comments from other users and owners.

A pen user may have written with dozens of a given brand of pen and had good experiences. A pen dealer may sell thousands of pens and when one brand or another has issues, they're likely to hear about them.

Agreed, its like talking to an owner of a car vs talking to a repair shop....the shop will have a a broader and less biased perspective given that they see a whole host of issues vs just an owner who gets a limited sample size....

"Semper Ubi Sub Ubi"

Maybe, but you must consider the fact that highly priced lemons make lost sales for the future. That's why I'll trust personal experience as much as statistics.

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

What a great thread. I've been debating purchasing a pen in this price point for a few months now. jar sent me in the Dupont direction originally (along with the other brands he mentioned above). Since then, I've tried Duponts and MBs. The favor for Dupont on this thread is striking.

Thanks, all, for sharing your experience.

JDW

What a great thread. I've been debating purchasing a pen in this price point for a few months now. jar sent me in the Dupont direction originally (along with the other brands he mentioned above). Since then, I've tried Duponts and MBs. The favor for Dupont on this thread is striking.

Thanks, all, for sharing your experience.

JDW

Knowing how loud Montblanc fans usually are, I am surprised to see the amount of support Dupont is receiving.

The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

Hmm... I prefer my MB 149 for it's lightness and heft. And the perfect writing ergonomics and nib. The 146 is nice also.

But if someone asked me which pen's quality is better - i'd say ST Dupont.

I don't know about the current model pens but the example of a ST Dupont Olympio (XL) that I have is superb.

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-bSg6JKq/1/XL/i-bSg6JKq-XL.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-kGmt2mk/1/XL/i-kGmt2mk-XL.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-zsQHgVM/1/XL/i-zsQHgVM-XL.jpg

Edited by tanalasta

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

Maybe, but you must consider the fact that highly priced lemons make lost sales for the future. That's why I'll trust personal experience as much as statistics.

I firmly believe that some luxury brands are just so appealing people will buy regardless of quality/price/or personal experience. Further most buyers don't bother to research their options, and just go with what is "known" to them as it is comfortable, either that or these are gifted brands as people know the gift will be appreciated as the brand is universally known.

With that said I would not be suprised in the least if people would and do continue to buy products from said manufacturers regardless of a less than stellar experience with their product, chalking up whatever issue to their dumb luck or what not, I know I have done this myself in the past only to be let down again.

Also many/most may not fully use the item, especially when talking about a fountain pen, I would venture to guess that most get these as gifts and possibly use them for signatures at best...who knows with that data though.

To me ownership "couts" as a data point, but it is hard to brush off information from those who handle these things professionally from a repair standpoint.

Knowing how loud Montblanc fans usually are, I am surprised to see the amount of support Dupont is receiving.

Need to get a +1 on this :)

Edited by Mathew J

"Semper Ubi Sub Ubi"

• 4 weeks later...

I firmly believe that some luxury brands are just so appealing people will buy regardless of quality/price/or personal experience. Further most buyers don't bother to research their options, and just go with what is "known" to them as it is comfortable, either that or these are gifted brands as people know the gift will be appreciated as the brand is universally known.

With that said I would not be suprised in the least if people would and do continue to buy products from said manufacturers regardless of a less than stellar experience with their product, chalking up whatever issue to their dumb luck or what not, I know I have done this myself in the past only to be let down again.

Also many/most may not fully use the item, especially when talking about a fountain pen, I would venture to guess that most get these as gifts and possibly use them for signatures at best...who knows with that data though.

To me ownership "couts" as a data point, but it is hard to brush off information from those who handle these things professionally from a repair standpoint.

Need to get a +1 on this :)

We know you already for the Rolex and MB bashing already Mr J, so why don't you let it go?

MB has lot to offer to those who are appreciative of the brand, not fot persons like you who are always moaning about MB. Leave the brand alone, if you don't like the brand then stick to cheaper pens but don't take the opportunity to slag off the brand when you don't even own half a dozen of MBs.

Dupont is a fine maker which gets respect from Mb owners.

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Soooooo any advice for someone who wants to find both a MB and a Dupont on fleabay?

Due Diligence. Both are faked often so the more you know the more likely you are to find what you want. Pen Shows and gatherings are your friends; fondle fondle fondle, examine examine examine.

I had a wonderful first class fake Dupont...if only the nib had been half as good a fake.

Jar was so helpful in pointing out...what I thought true and hoped was not....was a fake Dupont. Very very good fake. Not of course the perfection of the Dupont which even the inside of the clip is perfect.

Ebay and MB....study MB for half year, and you can then find out when this and that feed was used.

All the other little markers of when a pen was made, '90, 70's 60's, or before or after 1955.

C/C 146-9's can be had for a very reasonable price....just don't send it in th MB for servicing. :unsure:

Dupont should be bought second hand perhaps from our sales section here. You have some one's name from here in your hand, so will not get a fake.

There is a difference between getting '''something''' cheap on the Ebay, and getting a used Dupont at a realistic price.

Even though I'm not into nail nibs, I will buy a Dupont some day...a real one.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

A doctor allowed me to 'examine' his amber lacquer Montparnasse (though he didn't know the model name). One of the most beautiful pens I've ever seen.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

We know you already for the Rolex and MB bashing already Mr J, so why don't you let it go?

MB has lot to offer to those who are appreciative of the brand, not fot persons like you who are always moaning about MB. Leave the brand alone, if you don't like the brand then stick to cheaper pens but don't take the opportunity to slag off the brand when you don't even own half a dozen of MBs.

Dupont is a fine maker which gets respect from Mb owners.

Wait, I need to own half a dozen MBs before I can appreciate them? You'd think for something that costs so much, one example would be enough?

Criticism and bashing are two different things. MontBlanc, especially the Meisterstuck series with the precious resin composition, are KNOWN to be problematic when it comes to general durability. Claiming vintage is better isn't a saving grace for the brand, it in fact makes the image even worse as they are charging more and more for a worse product. If a new comer to fountain pens were to take any advice, I'd suggest they take the advice of Richard (Binder) who actually WORKS with pens.

I own an example of both brands, a ST Dupont Olympio and a MontBlanc 149, the difference isn't night/day but there is no doubt that the Olympio is a better made product. In fact, the M nib on my Olympio is the smoothest nib in my entire collection.

I hate to use a watch analogy here but MontBlanc compared to ST Dupont is like comparing Rolex to Grand Seiko. Rolex is a much more well known brand and perceived as a luxury item whereas most owners of both will understand that the quality of Grand Seiko is markedly better.

Wait, I need to own half a dozen MBs before I can appreciate them? You'd think for something that costs so much, one example would be enough?

Criticism and bashing are two different things. MontBlanc, especially the Meisterstuck series with the precious resin composition, are KNOWN to be problematic when it comes to general durability. Claiming vintage is better isn't a saving grace for the brand, it in fact makes the image even worse as they are charging more and more for a worse product. If a new comer to fountain pens were to take any advice, I'd suggest they take the advice of Richard (Binder) who actually WORKS with pens.

I own an example of both brands, a ST Dupont Olympio and a MontBlanc 149, the difference isn't night/day but there is no doubt that the Olympio is a better made product. In fact, the M nib on my Olympio is the smoothest nib in my entire collection.

I hate to use a watch analogy here but MontBlanc compared to ST Dupont is like comparing Rolex to Grand Seiko. Rolex is a much more well known brand and perceived as a luxury item whereas most owners of both will understand that the quality of Grand Seiko is markedly better.

One can't have too many 149s. I had one recent 149 (made between 1987-1989 with the precious resin) that I kept during a short time, it felt two times on a wooden floor and it didn't break, so who think that a modern 149 isn't durable is wrong.

The Olympio despite it is a stellar performer is a converted pen where as a 149 is piston filler pen offering a larger and smoother nib. If you are not pleased with a 149, you can get a 146 solitaire which is as good as an Olympio. MB nibs are handground and are hard to fault from my experience from the whole collection of the 146s and 149s I have. Grand Seiko is sold in smaller volumes than Rolex and doesn't retain its value like Rolex. Rolex builds almost 800000 officially certified chronometers but seiko doesn't.

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

After owning many MB and ST Dupont, i find the nib of ST Dupont superior to modern MB nibs.

But i still favor my MB 136 nibs above everything else.