Sheaffer "Military Clip" Pen Identification

Dennis B

This topic arises from time to time, here and there, so I thought I would post a brief pictoral guide to identifying Sheaffer "Military Clip" pens.

I'm using Military Clip as that is the common tag applied. In the 1941 Sheaffer catalog, they were referred to as "Over-The-Top" clips, especially designed "for the men in uniform."

Four different models were cataloged, available either as lever or "One-Stroke Vacuum" fillers, in three colors, Black, Golden Brown and Carmine. (Yes, I know these exist in Marine Green also, but they weren't cataloged at the 1941 introduction).

http://www.parkvillepen.com/images/sheaffer/overthetopall.jpg

The four models, from the left, were the $10 Valiant Lifetime Feathertouch; $8.75 Vigilant Lifetime Feathertouch; $5 Defender Feathertouch; and the $4 Commandant Streamlined Balance with a #3 nib.

Hope someone finds this helpful.

Not shown is the Skyboy, cataloged in the same three colors as a lever fill only. The Skyboy had the same Over-The-Top clip, but with the "Skyboy" imprint. Price -$10.

Cheers,

Dennis B

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• jar

• jaytaylor

• rahulg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 years later...

This topic arises from time to time, here and there, so I thought I would post a brief pictoral guide to identifying Sheaffer "Military Clip" pens.

Dennis B

Google just brought me here... Thanks Dennis!

Dave

Thanks for the information. I recently have acquired several several Sheaffer's including a military cap and this places it nicely.

Can this thread be made a sticky so this is not lost in the shuffle?

Eli

I'm using Military Clip as that is the common tag applied. In the 1941 Sheaffer catalog, they were referred to as "Over-The-Top" clips, especially designed "for the men in uniform."

Four different models were cataloged, available either as lever or "One-Stroke Vacuum" fillers, in three colors, Black, Golden Brown and Carmine. (Yes, I know these exist in Marine Green also, but they weren't cataloged at the 1941 introduction).

http://www.parkvillepen.com/images/sheaffer/overthetopall.jpg

The four models, from the left, were the $10 Valiant Lifetime Feathertouch; $8.75 Vigilant Lifetime Feathertouch; $5 Defender Feathertouch; and the $4 Commandant Streamlined Balance with a #3 nib.

Hope someone finds this helpful.

Not shown is the Skyboy, cataloged in the same three colors as a lever fill only. The Skyboy had the same Over-The-Top clip, but with the "Skyboy" imprint. Price -$10.

Cheers,

Dennis B

Does the price point define the pen model. For example was the Vigilant ever $10 and the Valiant ever $8.75? Also does the nib have to say "feathertouch" to be a feathertouch?

Thanks

John

• 1 year later...

I'm technically necro-posting; but I can't help but congratulate the OP for such an informative post. Thanks, Dennis, this is really useful.

I came across the 875 Vigilant, which happens to be my first from the Balance family. It's interesting to note that these were specific "wartime" pens, and naturally have a bit of history attached to them.

While the example in my possession is a bit slender for my hands, she's quite a looker, dressed in lovely brown stripes and that unusual military clip, and I'm in love with the platinum-masked Lifetime nib!

Cheers,

Rahul

http://oi44.tinypic.com/30vg3eo.jpg

Follow at @rg1283 and http://bluecabbage.blogspot.com

I've generally shied away from pinning threads as we will wind up with a lot of them pinned. I may sit down and see if I can cobble together a reference thread and incorporate elements from threads like this. It would be a lot of work, though.

I've generally shied away from pinning threads as we will wind up with a lot of them pinned. I may sit down and see if I can cobble together a reference thread and incorporate elements from threads like this. It would be a lot of work, though.

To reduce the work load maybe a locked and pinned post that simply has the title and links to threads like this similar to the review index.

My Website

very nice pens :thumbup: thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 2 years later...

I just acquired a Sheaffer Valiant Lifetime Feathertouch with the Military Clip. It's in good shape with no obvious dings, scratches or teeth marks and came with a new sac for the lever filler system. It might have been unused or at least was only gently used. It has the gold and brown stripes and looks identical to the one pictured to the left in the original post's image.

On the top of the nib, above the Sheaffer name is the printing M57479.

I think I paid about US $27 for it and after inking and writing with it, I'm sure I got a bargain. It has no indication on the nib as to the line thickness but it writes with a fine line. It is also very smooth for a fine nib. The grip is a bit narrow for my hand and unposted, it feels a tad light and short. However, when posted it is wonderfully balanced and I seem to forget the narrow grip.

All in all, I think I lucked into an excellent pen.

Ink has something in common with both money and manure. It's only useful if it's spread around.