• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Bourgeoisie

Bourgeoisie

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Location:A triangle of Michigan... Mackinaw City, Metro Detroit and Grand Rapids

Posted 09 September 2009 - 19:58

Hello, I'm new to the world of fountain pens - I just ordered my first safari a few days ago and CAN'T wait for it to arrive. I have dabbled with dip pens before so I have some ink, but I'm not sure if I should trust it in a fp. Its Speedball "Superblack India Ink". I know you can't use india ink with fp's, but this one claims to be "non-clogging"". Should I trust it?

My real question is about a pen shop. I'm a college kid in the Grand Rapids (MI) area; does anyone know of a good place to get fp supplies? I need a go-to shop because shipping kills. So as long as it writes well, the cheaper the better.

Many thanks,

bourgeoisie

PS - I am getting a converter for my safari, so I will be needing bottled ink, not cartridges.

#2 majorworks

majorworks

Paperback Writer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 September 2009 - 20:03

I'm sure others will chime in; I have only a little more experience than you do. But I would be very wary of that ink, regardless of its label's claims.

Someone local to you will have to help you with shops...

Best of luck!
Happiness is an Indian ED!

#3 Chthulhu

Chthulhu

Rawr.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 20:11

QUOTE (Bourgeoisie @ Sep 9 2009, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello, I'm new to the world of fountain pens - I just ordered my first safari a few days ago and CAN'T wait for it to arrive. I have dabbled with dip pens before so I have some ink, but I'm not sure if I should trust it in a fp. Its Speedball "Superblack India Ink". I know you can't use india ink with fp's, but this one claims to be "non-clogging"". Should I trust it?

My real question is about a pen shop. I'm a college kid in the Grand Rapids (MI) area; does anyone know of a good place to get fp supplies? I need a go-to shop because shipping kills. So as long as it writes well, the cheaper the better.

Many thanks,

bourgeoisie

PS - I am getting a converter for my safari, so I will be needing bottled ink, not cartridges.

A resounding NO! Speedball's inks are meant for dip pens and brushes only, and the potential for ruining your new pen is very high. Please stick with *writing* inks made specifically for fountain pens to protect your pens. That said, I've used a couple of questionable inks successfuly in extremely cheap throwaway pens that I didn't mind losing, but there are so many very good fountain pen inks readily available on-line that I wouldn't have done so if I hadn't already had those inks on hand.
Mike Hungerford
http://goo.gl/dUVnUZ

#4 penspouse

penspouse

Happy Granny

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 September 2009 - 20:12

NO! Unless you want to ruin your pen.

Sorry I can't help with your pen shop question, but W2FPN.gif anyway.
Soli Deo Gloria

Shameless plug
- Some of my amateur photography.

#5 Bourgeoisie

Bourgeoisie

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Location:A triangle of Michigan... Mackinaw City, Metro Detroit and Grand Rapids

Posted 09 September 2009 - 20:12

Yes, that is what I was thinking. I still have my dip pens to use it with.
Thanks for the fast replies.

#6 Randal6393

Randal6393

Granddaugter is great!

• Member - Gold

• 2,133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 September 2009 - 21:02

From past threads, will state that (per volume) Noodler inks are the least expensive. Followed by Private Reserve. As far as shipping costs go, Swisher Inks, Jet Pens, and isellpens.com all seem to have reasonable shipping costs. If you combine items for purchase and shop around, you should be able to get your fountain pen products for a reasonable price. Unless you truly become addicted and buy like most of us here on the Network. In which case, resign yourself to spending your money on new pens, inks, papers, etc. Your loved ones may understand, with a lot of help and therapy.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

#7 Chthulhu

Chthulhu

Rawr.

• Member - Gold

• 2,226 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 21:05

Note also that some Noodler's inks are available on Amazon, and do count toward their free shipping; but a book or two and get the ink at the same time. :-)
Mike Hungerford

#8 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• 4,692 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 21:22

Edited by pen2paper, 10 September 2009 - 11:12.

Posted Image~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#9 sharonspens

sharonspens

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 September 2009 - 00:03

If you are up for a road trip, try Pear Tree Pens in Ann Arbor. He also sells the most amazing ink samplers (or so I have read here; haven't purchased them myself because I have PLENTY of ink already!). www.peartreepens.com

Sharon in Indiana
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are, to make your world a better place.

#10 Bearcat

Bearcat

Careful with that Fountain Pen....You could put your eye out!

• Member - Gold

• 1,526 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 September 2009 - 00:19

QUOTE (Bourgeoisie @ Sep 9 2009, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Many thanks,

bourgeoisie

GVSU?
Have Camera....Will Travel....Wire SigSauerFan AT Hotmail DOT com

Inveterate trader. Send me a note for my list of pens, watches, knives and other fun things for sale or trade....

The Danitrio Fellowship

#11 hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl

Professional Dilettante

• Member - Gold

• 805 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 September 2009 - 00:20

Pelikan and Sheaffer are usually pretty easy to find, and decent, if unremarkable. They're about all I use.
--
James H. H. Lampert
Professional Dilettante

Posted Image was once a bottle of ink
Inky, Dinky, Thinky, Inky,
Blacky minky, Bottle of ink!
-- Edward Lear

#12 Bourgeoisie

Bourgeoisie

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 00:40

QUOTE (Bearcat @ Sep 9 2009, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
GVSU?

Yes indeed smile.gif

@ Sharonspens - I may have to go there some time. Ann Arbor is kinda on my way home.
@ Chthulhu - Amazon sounds great. Any idea how long a bottle of noodlers will last taking notes? I write fairly small, and the nib will be fine.

#13 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• 4,692 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 00:58

Edited by pen2paper, 10 September 2009 - 11:12.

Posted Image~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#14 Chthulhu

Chthulhu

Rawr.

• Member - Gold

• 2,226 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:01

QUOTE (Bourgeoisie @ Sep 9 2009, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@ Chthulhu - Amazon sounds great. Any idea how long a bottle of noodlers will last taking notes? I write fairly small, and the nib will be fine.

A long time. :-)
Mike Hungerford

#15 LedZepGirl

LedZepGirl

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,777 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:07

There's a place in Grand Rapids that's called Bartrand's Shaver & Pen Center and is located at 152 E. Fulton

Edited to add...

Try this link, the information is here...
http://www.marcuslin.../review2b2.html

Edited by LedZepGirl, 10 September 2009 - 02:38.

I'd rather spend my money on pens instead of shoes and handbags.

>>> My Blog <<<

#16 StyloBug33

StyloBug33

Paper Junkie

• Member - Gold

• 884 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:37

QUOTE (pen2paper @ Sep 9 2009, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi..know Nothing about this shop..see link.
http://www.penandshaver.com/index.html
but it is in Grand Rapids..which will save you postage
See Waterman bottled ink, which is good..
Lamy ink will work well in your pen..
There are many brands of ink that will serve you well, at least a close local source will get you started.
flush out your pen every once in a while.. use an infants ear bulb-inexpensive at local stores.
do you have a Staples store nearby? check out Eco-Friendly bagasse paper..very fountainpen/ink friendly, and inexpensive.

I was in this store about 10 years ago. And even though I grew up just north of Grand Rapids and am back there a lot, I haven't ever gone back. It wasn't very impressive at the time, but I would love to hear if anyone has been there recently. Maybe I will try to stop in on my next trip to visit my mom.

Other than that, I would agree that some of the office supply stores might have something.
God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
-Bill Waterson

#17 churl

churl

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:05

I am entirely unfamiliar with the GR area, but most college book stores have some fountain pen stuff, whether in art supplies or stationery. Usually I can find a bottle of Waterman or Shaeffer or Quink, so for a quick fix, you might luck out. Of course, some Staples/Office Max, etc. carry bottled ink. You could probably also find Varsities there, which can be refilled with some pliers and determination.

More on the East side, Oscar Braun as noted, Pear Tree pens (but Pear Tree is mail order. No brick and mortar storefront I thought...), there's a Paradise Pen in the Somerset Mall in Troy (and a Mont Blanc store). And as noted, there are mail orders that offer free shipping. I have become enamored with Jet Pens with their $25 minimum for free shipping. No affiliation with any of them.

#18 Bourgeoisie

Bourgeoisie

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:06

Thanks again to all of you. It looks like I will be using places with free shipping until I get back home.

#19 RCC

RCC

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 14:14

Mary A-----------I have been in Bartrands in GR on and off over the years. I think they have fewer pens now than they did ten years ago. They also sell pretty much at list price.

The man I have spoken with each time I have gone in is very nice and helpful. He let me try a VP and a Sheaffer Balance and an Aurora. I do not know if they will let you dip a MB. smile.gif

They also had private reserve ink as well as the usual sheaffer, aurora and mb, though I did not see any paper type supplies.

It is a nice little shop but I suspect they are having a tough time economically. As I said, I was there a year or so ago and they had fewer items in the pen area than they did the previous times I had been there.

Selling fountain pens would be a tough business in a mid-downtown store front in GR, MI.

#20 gyasko

gyasko

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,989 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 23:22

Are there any art supply places in Grand Rapids? Many art supply places have fountain pen ink. You'd be surprised. I picked up a bottle of J. Herbin in an out of the way corner of Calgary once.

#21 Bourgeoisie

Bourgeoisie

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 00:56

I'm sure there are some around, over the weekend I'll have to try and find some.

Awesome replies thumbup.gif

#22 76white02

76white02

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 00:16

a little late but just FYI to anyone, Bartrands has shut its doors. I have had my antique typewriters serviced there and spent time talking with Patrick on several occasions. It is really too bad but they just didn't have enough business. He still services out of his house and kept the phone number.

There is a place on Monroe Cntr called gustav. It is right across from the art museum. He has ink.