S.T. Dupont Défi

Michael R.

The carbon fiber one is the grey meshed one. It has always been far more expensive than the other models.

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ssmui

• Pen2009

• olivier78860

• humsin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Olivier,

Thanks for pointing that out. So now I understand better. All the Defi reviewed here are the resin version that goes for USD390-ish.

The one that I am eying for is the carbon fiber mesh, at USD630.

Do you think the carbon fiber is worth the USD240 premium ? :hmm1:

I got my carbon fiber one with 40% off, so yes indeed, I also thought it was too expensive otherwise.

I'd say, it's more a matter of design. If you can live with a black resin body (that you'll hardly touch anyway, since the pen's geometry makes it more an element of decoration than a surface of contact) then go fot the resin one. The pen itself isn't heavy, so a few more grams won't change anything.

I have to emphasize that you can't use the pen while posting the cap. It will always fall from the barell.

In all honesty, I've been eyeing the new model by S.T. Dupont, the Elysée. I think the nice springy gold nib on the Elysée is more interesting than the steel one on the Défi, and would tend to recommend the Elysée over the Défi, which is a nail, and that I nearly don't use anymore. Also, note that the M nib on the Défi is quite large, so the F might be more appropriate for daily use.

Hope it helped.

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

Love my Defi. Bought mine at the Fountain Pen Hospital during a trip to NYC -- was actually looking for a different pen altogether, but the Defi was on sale, and once I held it, I knew I had to get it -- it's one of those pens that seemed to be crafted to fit my hand. I don't post the pen, as for me it's long enough to be used comfortably unposted. I have had no problems with the polished grip, either -- I tend to grasp it right at the step between the section and barrel, which is quite comfortable for me.

Hi Olivier and James, thanks both of you for your kind advice.

In conclusion,

if I were to buy a Defi, I should get the lower end resin version at $390 now .

Otherwise, wait for sale of the carbon fiber version of Defi with a 40% discount ($630x.40)=$378.

Meantime, check out the lacquer Elysee , $580.

Thanks, you guys are great :thumbup:

• 3 months later...

I bought my carbon fibre one with converter in Hong Kong for $3500, which equates to $451 USD.

The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

Seems to be a very nice pen,but you say the nib is availaible in F and M...no other size????it's curious i think...no matter for me i use F or EF but it surprise me...

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I am toying with an idea of getting Defi Grille with an F nib. I still could not pull the proverbial trigger. Is the snap-on cap mechanism sturdy enough to last the life of the pen itself?

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

• 8 months later...

The QC of dupont is very decent.

However my F nib in the defi carbon , is a fairly dry writer, much more than my Fine Sailors and surely my nakayas and platinums

I will exchange it with another , M nib.

The nib is a nail , but the writing pleasure is just another world.

The nib comes perfectly alligned and smooth OTB, which could not be said of other pens , which were triple in price!!

I bought the Titanium version and love it. Imprints are perfectly crisp. Flow and nib feel are perfect. It may be a nail, but it's the best nail I've ever had. Overall, the pen is first-rate quality from beginning to end.

I bought the Titanium version and love it. Imprints are perfectly crisp. Flow and nib feel are perfect. It may be a nail, but it's the best nail I've ever had. Overall, the pen is first-rate quality from beginning to end.

What nib size did you get Russ?