• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sptfr43

• Apollo

• alexalex

• tonyv

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I were to comission a custom-made fountain pen, it would have to be made of modern materials like carbon fibre and G-10 composite which can be dyed into a myriad of colours. The pen itself would have to be an integral piston filler and it would need to have a semi-flexible gold nib in fine. The cap would need to have an anodized titanium pocket clip attached with 2 small T6 torx screws which would give me the option of removing the clip or swapping it out for another. I would also want the cap and barrel to have strategically placed tritium inserts so it can glow in the dark and make it easy to locate the pen in a dark room. Along the section of the pen I would want a sort of pressure switch that would regulate air and ink flow and prevent the pen from leaking when flying or jogging, etc. I would also like to have sheath for the pen that can be attached to and easily removed from a belt or waist band as I hate clipping pens to the neck of my t-shirts during the summer months.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

If I were to comission a custom-made fountain pen, it would have to be made of modern materials like carbon fibre and G-10 composite which can be dyed into a myriad of colours.

Interesting. I'm not quite sure what it is, but are there any pens made today of carbon fiber? What's G-10?

I'm hooked on oversized, easy to hold pens that hold a ton of ink.

I use my pens, they must be good writers.

Nib must be smooth. Ridiculously smooth. With a bit of flex or at least spring. And would prefer it to be easy to change out.

I prefer resins to wood. Translucence is lovely.

Not into outrageous loud colors. I do like the milder tortoiseshell stuff. But please, no red in your tortoiseshell. Love the dark, solid red of the MB Kafka, but you'd have to practically give one to me. It's got too many other issues for me to pay much for it. Love dark greens, dark blues. Tired of black.

And I won't buy a pen I can't post.

So, how's that? Any help?

"I am a teacher as well as a witch," said Miss Tick, adjusting her hat

carefully. "Therefore, I make lists. I make assessments. I write things

down in a neat firm hand with pens of two colors."

Miss Tick from

Terry Pratchett's

Wee Free Men

[...]are there any pens made today of carbon fiber?  What's G-10?

Marlen, Stypen, Duke, Jorg Hysek... I'm sure there are more manufacturers that make pens of carbon fiber.

alex

PS. I've just ordered carbon fiber Duke FP for my friend. I hope I will have opportunity to test ride it :lol:

If I were to comission a custom-made fountain pen, it would have to be made of modern materials like carbon fibre and G-10 composite which can be dyed into a myriad of colours.

Interesting. I'm not quite sure what it is, but are there any pens made today of carbon fiber? What's G-10?

G-10 composite is widely used in the knife and firearm industry primarily for handle scales and is basically a synthetic material made of epoxy filled with woven glass fiber that is impervious to changes in temperature and can be tinted into many colors. It's practically indestructible. Dunhill has used carbon fibre in the AD 2000 pen as has Caran D' Ache and even Monteverde. The great thing about carbon fibre is that it too is nearly indestructible and gives off a cool almost 3D effect when you look at.

The downside for a pen maker is that carbon fibre dust is dangerous and breathing it can kill you so precautions must be taken when grinding the material. Carbon fibre dust is like glass and can literally lacerate your lungs as you breath in. Once shaped and set it's perfectly safe (just don't think of engraving your name on it!), but if you do work with it, make sure you wear respirators and have an adequate dust collecting system like custom knifemakers do.

Edited by Apollo
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

G-10 composite is widely used in the knife and firearm industry primarily for handle scales and is basically a synthetic material made of epoxy filled with woven glass fiber that is impervious to changes in temperature and can be tinted into many colors.

Aah, so that's the "black composite stock" I read about...Good stuff! Thank you!

I think you're going to get as many different preferences as there are FPNers! :D

I would want a pen with a brushed metal body, preferably a combination of silver/gold color metals.

An italic or stub nib would have to be available. The filling system would be cartridge/converter.

And above all, the design would be modern/contemporary and not retro styling.

If it had a clip, it would have to be completely integrated into the design, not stuck on looking.

I don't care if the cap posts. I never post caps.

Aren't you glad you asked? ;)

Petra

Gosh, let's see..what would I want? For starters...a pen that lights up and cleans the house, a pen that will write checks on voice command, a pen that will answer, with the proper sarcasm, all the things I don't want to answer.....and not get me into trouble because I am always answering anyway, a pen that will take the garbage out and go to work and get paid, a pen that will say it is sorry even if I love it and finally a pen that knows its place and will return, when all is said and done, to a nice leather case....may I ask for more, or have I exceeded my limit?

I'm actually in touch with a wood artist to make me body and cap in precious woods (ebony for the moment). I'll then make some paintings on it and finish with a lacquer coat (ideally, I'd love urushi coating~).

In short, what I'm looking in a custom made is body and cap in wood (or ceramics, if I have to do it myself), my own paintings on it and urushi coating with a waterman Edson medium or right hand oblique nib.

funny thing playpen I made that exact pen last night however I sold ittoday. sorry :D .

yes I realize there are a miriad of preferences. I was hoping to take them all and come up with an average so to speak to know whether I was even close to what people look for.

thanks for the responses /:)

Edited by sptfr43

Gosh, let's see..what would I want? For starters...a pen that lights up and cleans the house, a pen that will write checks on voice command, a pen that will answer, with the proper sarcasm, all the things I don't want to answer.....and not get me into trouble because I am always answering anyway, a pen that will take the garbage out and go to work and get paid, a pen that will say it is sorry even if I love it and finally a pen that knows its place and will return, when all is said and done, to a nice leather case....may I ask for more, or have I exceeded my limit?

I thought all you wanted was a user Parker "51" fine to medium nib, modest user wear and a lustraloy cap.:D

BTW, how do you still like it?

Andy

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

Well, considering part of my heritage is Lithuanian, a pen made of real amber would be nice. Nib wise, it seems that hooded or semi-hooded nibs are best if you don't use the pen daily.

-Bruce

Hey Andy,

I owe you a letter written with it! Please forgive...this past month I have driven over 5,000 miles and I am still running around. I promise to write an entire letter with that lovely pen! If you translate the gas I used into money, I could have had a thousand pens, never mind one.....arghghg!!

My ideal pen would be a beautifully patterned moss green celluloid with gold accents and an 18K gold springy nib, piston-fill, smooth writer, a bit of heft, and well-balanced whether the cap is posted or not. The unposted body would not roll off my desk; it would have to be either squared or have some other technological breakthrough that prevents rolling. The feed would be perfectly smooth no matter what ink it's given, and would be impervious to acidic inks, even MB's ferro-gallic blue-black. It would start beautifully, even when I've hesitated for a minute or two to collect my thoughts.

My Visconti Opera Club meets most of the above, except it's a converter fill and is fussy about inks: skips with MB blue-black, bleeds through with Visconti black, and is a hard start if left out too long. My Pelikan Souverain 400 writes like a dream, but it rolls off my desk unposted, and is a bit small and lightweight.

I would like a pen like the Montegrappa Bibliotech salute tothe Alexandria library but with a piston filling mechanism.

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try” Mark Twain

I'm a fairly simple guy: durable (translation: stands up to daily use without wear-through or issues with plating on clip and other 'hardware), a piston filler would rock (but understandly hard "to make" -- but -- how about something with some ink capacity? Eye-dropper?), and my preference is a kt. gold nib. Personally, I'm not into oversized pens (no ink batons, thank you :P )

As for the materials: either wood or some mosaic pattern (similar to a vintage Conway Stewart) or even something Parker-ish (aka: modern Duofold).

You have any picts. of anything you've made? If yep, please post.

My best,

Paul

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~ Oscar Wilde, 1888

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Form factor of the Bexley 10th Anniversary.

Piston filler.

Rich dark brown patterned celluloid.

Silky 0.6mm stub italic gold nib.

With ink the color of Noodler's Walnut, permanence of Noodler's Black, and the behavior of Waterman Blue-Black.

Bill