Photo

Has anybody got this Chinese Duofold replica?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 GeorgeSK

GeorgeSK

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 19:18

I came across this open, which looks like a Duofold replica or copy on Ebay. The price is very tempting, around $13.

Has anybody got this pen? Can you share your experiences with this pen? Is it worth it?

Attached Images

• 231744354_o.jpg

Edited by GeorgeSK, 31 August 2009 - 20:15.

#2 dogpoet

dogpoet

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 19:29

It looks like a Huashilai. No idea what model it is, though.

#3 LouisA

LouisA

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 20:34

Is it worth it? It's $13.00! At worst you are out what about $20 with shipping. I have a number of Chinese pens that write better than a lot of my expensive pens.

Edited by LouisA, 31 August 2009 - 20:35.

I use a fountain pen because one ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to write a few reasonable words with a fountain pen.

#4 I am not a number

I am not a number

Missing believed somewhere else.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 20:39

See what the pen is called on the website and then have a look in our review section to see if it is featured.

And welcome to the FPN!
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

#5 GeorgeSK

GeorgeSK

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 20:42

QUOTE (I am not a number @ Aug 31 2009, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
See what the pen is called on the website and then have a look in our review section to see if it is featured.

And welcome to the FPN!

Thanks for the nice welcome.

Unfortunately, it is listed only as B31 CELLULOID 18KGP IRIDIUM MEDIUM FOUNTAIN PEN. But thanks for the advice anyway.

Edited by GeorgeSK, 31 August 2009 - 20:42.

#6 OldGriz

OldGriz

I Assimilated The Borg

• Member - Remembered fondly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2009 - 21:40

Check out isellpens.com He might be selling the same pen so you will know what it is...
Also you might actually do better from him by the time you add in shipping from overseas.... and he stands by his products...
TomPosted Image
A veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

#7 two2tone

two2tone

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 21:45

Looks like a Kaigelu to me.

Twotone

http://isellpens.com/kaigelu.html

#8 GeorgeSK

GeorgeSK

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 22:18

QUOTE (two2tone @ Aug 31 2009, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks like a Kaigelu to me.

Twotone

http://isellpens.com/kaigelu.html

I checked the pen with another Chinese pen seller and found one picture witch included the logo. I don't think it s a Keigelu, as it has a Kangaroo logo and this is different. Also, the Keigelu has a screw cap, as the original Duofold, but this hasn't.

Attached Images

• 21_0326_A7_A.jpg

Edited by GeorgeSK, 31 August 2009 - 22:19.

#9 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

• Member - Gold

• 3,747 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 22:22

The Kaigelus do not have a screw cap -- they have a screw in converter.

I agree that's no Kaigelu I have seen before. I'd personally suggest going with a surer thing and buying a Kaigelu 322 for less than $20 from Todd.

#10 FrankB

FrankB

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,225 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 22:22

W2FPN.gif Welcome aboard! W2FPN.gif

The pen is only $13 (USD?). Why not give it a try?

#11 jleeper

jleeper

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 22:24

I can't quite explain why, but this pen doesn't quite look like the Kaigelu to me. Close, but I don't think it's the same pen that isellpens has. (I've been drooling for one of the Kaigelu. I've been spending too much on FP's, but I'll have one soon) And it's not just the black cap that's making me think its not the same pen. The quality of the celluloid does not look the same at least in these pictures.

comeon1788 has a system for the ID's used. 'B' is typically used for Lanbo. The system isn't absolute, but if I thought this was a Kaigelu, I'd have one on the way by now.

Todd does say the Kaigulu's have a 'twist type' cap and the picture of the White Viened Kaigelu 316 seems to show some treading for the cap.

Edited by jleeper, 31 August 2009 - 23:19.

Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., Justice of U.S. Supreme Court (1902 -1932)
border="0" class="linked-sig-image" />

#12 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

• Member - Gold

• 3,747 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 23:12

So they do. I'm far more familiar with the very similar 322, which does not have a screw on cap.

#13 rwilsonedn

rwilsonedn

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,676 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 23:42

Looks awfully, but not exactly, like a Bookworm, for instance http://cgi.ebay.com/...id=p3286.c0.m14
If that's what it is, I believe there have been some pretty positive comments and reviews here.
ron

#14 parilla

parilla

parilla

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2009 - 23:51

I have one! It is about the same diameter as a Duofold Centennial, slightly longer when capped, although the pen without barrell is slightly shorter. It has a pull off type cap and posts ok. As far as writing goes, it writes out of the box as well as two of my Duofolds did and much better than my third. It is a very heavy pen...it feels considerably heavier than my Centennials. The barrell is fairly transparent. Is it as good as the real thing? Well, I find the cap a little difficult to pull off (not TOO bad), I dont like the barrell transparency very much...BUT it writes beautifully, just as well as the Duofold, and it looks very attractive. Of course, if you are a Duofold fan you cant help looking at the differences between the pens, and that isnt really fair. If you are looking for a big, heavy bold pen that writes perfectly, why not go for it? By the way, I cant find any brand identification on mine.

#15 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

• Member - Gold

• 3,747 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 23:52

QUOTE (rwilsonedn @ Aug 31 2009, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks awfully, but not exactly, like a Bookworm, for instance http://cgi.ebay.com/...id=p3286.c0.m14
If that's what it is, I believe there have been some pretty positive comments and reviews here.
ron

My guess is that a lot of these non-Hero non-Duke models (possibly including Bookworm and Kaigelu) may be produced in the same factory. Some Bookworms and Kaigelu models are based on a plastic body with a metal (brass?) interior to add weight.

If that's the case, it's not a huge shock that a model with a very Kaigelu-like cap and a Bookworm like barrel might surface.

#16 steveh6883

steveh6883

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 00:09

Hi

I'm watching one that has the exact same pictures on eBay UK & they are calling it a 'NOBLEST ORANGE MARBLY GOLDED WHORL M NIB FOUNTAIN PEN'

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I have a couple of other non-Hero/non-Duke Chinese pens & they all write beautifully, can be considered by some to be a bit heavy, but I think the wieght adds to the feel of the pen, BUT fit & finish on a couple I have had have been dubious to say the least - one I actually had to superglue the end cap & lid cap back in they were so loose, but once that was done (10secs) I was a very happy chappie with them
Steve

Saint Eve Marketing - Online Marketing for Beginners

Send me a postcard - Send me a letter

Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 yellowecho

yellowecho

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:30

This pen is a "Classic" (that is the brand name, not a comment on its appearance). I have one, but have not inked it as yet. I have another Classic that is quite nice. I am guessing (but it is only a guess), that it is a sub brand of Jinhao, or Bookworm. Bookworm have a similar even cheaper pen with identical orange/black marbled translucent plastic, but with a fine hooded nib. The bookworm is also available in black/white "cracked ice", translucent blue marbled, and a new white/yellow/black marbled.

#18 txinsk

txinsk

Scribbler

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:42

The symbol on the top of the cap is the same as the one on the nib of my Huashilai. Definitely not the same pen, but I can say that I am very happy with my Huashilai.

Rick
Need money for pens, must make good notebooks. :)

#19 Rabidferret

Rabidferret

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:13

QUOTE (jleeper @ Aug 31 2009, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't quite explain why, but this pen doesn't quite look like the Kaigelu to me. Close, but I don't think it's the same pen that isellpens has. (I've been drooling for one of the Kaigelu. I've been spending too much on FP's, but I'll have one soon) And it's not just the black cap that's making me think its not the same pen. The quality of the celluloid does not look the same at least in these pictures.

comeon1788 has a system for the ID's used. 'B' is typically used for Lanbo. The system isn't absolute, but if I thought this was a Kaigelu, I'd have one on the way by now.

Todd does say the Kaigulu's have a 'twist type' cap and the picture of the White Viened Kaigelu 316 seems to show some treading for the cap.

I'll second the recommendation for Kaigelu. I recently purchased a 221 from Todd at isellpens.com for use as a notebook pen. The nib is incredibly smooth for a pen > $20 and the feed is surprisingly well-behaved. I left it and a Picasso for about a week without use (misplaced my planner, actually). The Kaigleu started right up while the Picasso needed a bit of cajoling. The only issue is the pen is so small it gets uncomfortable sometimes - it's even smaller than I had expected (just over 4.5" capped, 5.5" posted, around 0.25"). I've been resisting buying one of the larger Kaigleus on Isellpens.com as I'm putting money away for a Pelikan, but hopefully they'll have the same quality as my little 221. Todd at Isellpens.com has a model that is close to the Duofold in appearance, as that seems to be your object.

No affiliation with isellpens.com by the way - satisfied customer.

- Jon

#20 dogpoet

dogpoet

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,537 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:48

QUOTE (txinsk @ Sep 1 2009, 06:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The symbol on the top of the cap is the same as the one on the nib of my Huashilai. Definitely not the same pen, but I can say that I am very happy with my Huashilai.

Rick

You're right: both of my Huashilais have the same symbol on the nib.

#21 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• 3,523 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:58

QUOTE (Jimmy James @ Aug 31 2009, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Kaigelus do not have a screw cap -- they have a screw in converter.

I agree that's no Kaigelu I have seen before. I'd personally suggest going with a surer thing and buying a Kaigelu 322 for less than $20 from Todd.

It looks exactly like my Kaigelu 316 (different colour barrel) except that the Kangaroo is replaced with something else. And my 316 definitely has a screw-on cap.

#22 somnath1077

somnath1077

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2009 - 15:06

[quote name='yellowecho' date='Sep 1 2009, 06:30 AM' post='1207864']

I think it is a Kaigelu #316. Check out the photos at http://www.isellpens.com/kaigelu.html.

#23 dogpoet

dogpoet

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,537 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 15:36

If it is the Kaigelu 316, then $13 dollars looks like less than it's selling for there...

#24 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 5,563 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2009 - 16:11

QUOTE (GeorgeSK @ Aug 31 2009, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I came across this open, which looks like a Duofold replica or copy on Ebay. The price is very tempting, around $13.

Has anybody got this pen? Can you share your experiences with this pen? Is it worth it?

Looks like the Bookworm I just mailed off to someone else. I liked it, and it was a good writer, but too heavy for me.

#25 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,723 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2009 - 18:25

A question for you apparently very satisfied Kaigelu owners.

How is the gold plating on the nibs and furniture holding up if any of you have had one in use for very long? One of the noticeably distinct
(to me anyway) weaknesses of even the nicer done Chinese pens has been their apparent use of plating about as thin as a kittens gasp.

The lure of a very nice perforning $20 pen is less if it looks like a worn out $10 one after 3 months of use.

What say yall?

Bruce in Ocala, FL

#26 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• 3,523 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2009 - 19:07

Bruce, I was lucky enough to be given my Kaigelu by a very generous FPN member when I sought to buy one. I'm not going to say it's in daily use, but I've had it for about 6 months or so, using it occasionally and it looks as good as new. It's a surprisingly good writer. The medium nib doesn't quite suit my current penchant for broads, obliques and stubs, but it's actually a very nice pen indeed and for that price - an absolute steal.

#27 Rabidferret

Rabidferret

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 19:29

Bruce -

I hate to say it but I haven't had mine long enough, or used it heavily enough, to be able to answer your question. I can say however that 100% of my experience with my Kaigelu so far has been positive - surprisingly so in fact. (The size issue I mentioned above isn't the pen's fault really - it's meant to be a tiny pen!) I have heard of plating issues though on Kaigelu pens - plating being inaccurately applied and not sticking. I'm led to believe that they've improved on their quality control in the last 5 or so years though.

After I purchase the full-size, Duofold-esque Kaigelu and put it in my regular rotation I should have a much better idea of the brand's endurance...but that's not going to happen until after I purchase the Pelikan I've been hunting, unfortunately.

- Jon

#28 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Admin Tech.

• 6,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2009 - 19:32

I have a Huashilai as well, but haven't been happy with it at all. It's never written well.
http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Pilot Elite 95S - M - Pilot Iroshizuku Kiri-same // Parker 21 Super - M - Noodler's Widowmaker // Stipula Modello T FPN LE - Conway Stewart Kingsand // Parker Duofold (Canadian) - F - Diamine Meadow // Delta Via Veneto Doué Elegance - M - Conway Stewart Kingsand

#29 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

• Member - Gold

• 3,747 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 22:45

QUOTE (somnath1077 @ Sep 1 2009, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it is a Kaigelu #316. Check out the photos at http://www.isellpens.com/kaigelu.html.

The 316's cap screws on. If it's a Kaigelu, it's much more likely at least related to the 322 (scroll down farther).

#30 ZeissIkon

ZeissIkon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,247 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 00:17

QUOTE (Silvermink @ Sep 1 2009, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a Huashilai as well, but haven't been happy with it at all. It's never written well.

Which model, Silvermink? I have a 2375, and though the paint is coming off the cap and, to a lesser extent, the barrel (seemingly due to sweat getting under the paint at the machined indents in the cap or at the edge where paint meets chrome), it's one of the best writers I own; a nice, true F that's still so smooth that newspaper crosswords are a joy.
Does not always write loving messages.
Does not always foot up columns correctly.
Does not always sign big checks.