Did I make a big mistake?

LapsangS

I was bidding on an eBay item of Wality 69L eyedropper. I lost the bid because another bidder outbid me with 20 dollars. I see I could get this pen straight from Retrodesk at that price so I didn't bid anymore and let the other bidder get the pen. After the bid ended, I saw another offer of supposedly the same pen and bid again. Now I won the bid with my $12.95 USD. I thought I had won the EYEDROPPER but then I read the description (stupid me!) and found it wasn't the eyedropper but the PISTON model. I wanted the eyedropper because of the huge ink capacity. Now I wonder how big a mistake I made. How much less ink does the piston version hold? Eyedropper is advertised to hold 4.5 ml ink.

The piston version has an ink level window that the eyedropper has not. I like that. It seems that the piston tank holds much more ink than a normal Parker piston converter. I have never used a real piston filler or eyedropper so I would like to know more about the ink capacities. I am sure that I will be perfectly happy with the piston filler. At least it's easier to fill...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LapsangS

• DWL

• RLTodd

• meanwhile

I was almost bought an eyedropper Wality, but now I'm glad I didn't - eyedropper pens have a reputation for leaking, the Wality included. The piston should hold more than other pens, is less hassle to fill, and doesn't have this risk.

- Jonathan

I was almost bought an eyedropper Wality, but now I'm glad I didn't - eyedropper pens have a reputation for leaking, the Wality included. The piston should hold more than other pens, is less hassle to fill, and doesn't have this risk.

Yes, I have read other users' comments about their leaking eyedroppers. Maybe I made the right choice, after all, accidentally or not :lol:

The Wality 52 Piston pen holds a respectable amount of ink too. Both of mine have proved to be reliable as well.

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

Have both. The 69L piston holds a respectable amount of ink, but it is not a tripple section screw, so the piston parks just above the ink window. I'm guessing the ink capacity is a smidgen more than a M60X series Pelikan.

The 69L holds a lot of ink. Whether or not it uses it efficiently is an open question. (refer to the last pages of Da Book for the issue of barrel storage of ink) I started mine out with Skrip Blue and had problems with excessive flow (big drops of ink at the start of the day when it got below half a tank). I have since switched to a thicker Noodlers ink and have not yet run into the problem. (I also forced the nib down a bit to the feed which may have helped a bit.)

So far I have found them to be excellent writers and well made pens.

YMMV

The 69L holds a lot of ink. Whether or not it uses it efficiently is an open question. (refer to the last pages of Da Book for the issue of barrel storage of ink)

I gotta buya Da Book...

- Jonathan

The 69L holds a lot of ink. Whether or not it uses it efficiently is an open question. (refer to the last pages of Da Book for the issue of barrel storage of ink)

I gotta buya Da Book...

Calarification.

I was referring to Mr. Dubiel's 500 words a day realistic capacity test on page 107 of "Fountain Pens The Complette Guide To Repair & Restoration, Revised Edition," also known as the "Da Book."

YMMV

You can get the wality 69L from Todd N at Isepplens.com for $9.99 and it comes with a long pippette for filling. From the home page click on the airmail/wality button & scroll down.

He's on vacation for the next week or so but you can still order it & he'll ship it when he gets back. He's got fantastic customer service. Not connected with him just a satisfied buyer. He's got a lot of good pens for really cheap prices.

Dennis

oops..the typo king strikes again. Thanks Z

Your right Todd has a lot of good stuff for next to nothing. With a Hundred bucks you can bring home a fist full of great pens. I really like the Reform demonstrators. I gave out a couple of dozen of them for christmas last year. My wifes boss was admiring it a while back so I gifted it and a handfull of carts to go along with it.

Dennis

I think that's a fine price. I've had one of the piston filling versions and found it to be a reliable writer. I hope you enjoy it!

I just received the Wality 69L from Pete Bachran. I've never before received mail from Las Vegas. :D This is the piston filler version of the pen. Screw-on-cap, black in colour, the ebonite? feed stinks of sh*it but when the cap is screwed on, there is no smell. :P I filled it with Parker Quink. Before filling I found there was some factory grease/oil remains in the ink tank. However, I didn't bother to flush it with soap water but filled it instantly. Maybe a mistake, but at least now it writes like in a dream :)

The nib is fine in size (that's the only size available) and, I can now only yell: IT IS THE F***ING BEST PERFORMING AND SMOOTHEST NIB I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED. It really behaves itself like every well-made fountain pen should. After first trial, I almost thought of selling ALL my other pens. Only pen that writes ALMOST as well is my Philéas. But Philéas is a cartridge/converter pen. Wality is the real thing, a piston filler. I am glad I didn't buy the eyedropper, because this one is FANTASTIC!!! :eureka: