Film: A Beautiful Mind. The custom of placing a pen...

Bisquitlips

I did a search on this and came up with nothing, both here and on Google, but I am sure there must be something to this.

In the film A Beautiful Mind, I am moved by the scene where many of the scholars come up to the table in the library (I believe it was at Princeton) where John Nash is sitting after just being told that he is a Nobel Laureate and each of them place a fine writing instrument in front of Mr. Nash.

I was musing on this and wondering the origins of this custom. It's an obvious expression of respect, but is that all it is? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by Bisquitlips

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tfwall

• Bisquitlips

• Jimmy James

• Clydesdave

Princeton says that it is completely a Hollywood fabrication:

In the movie A Beautiful Mind there is a scene in which faculty members present their pens to Nash. What is the origin of the pen ceremony? When did it start?

The scene in the movie A Beautiful Mind in which mathematics professors ritualistically present pens to Nash was completely fabricated in Hollywood. No such custom exists. What it symbolizes is that Nash was accepted and recognized in the mathematics community for his accomplishments. While some movies are based on books, the film A Beautiful Mind states that it was inspired by the life of John Nash. There are many discrepancies between the book and the film.

Check out more about it here.

From http://www.princeton.edu/mudd/news/faq/topics/nash.shtml:

In the movie A Beautiful Mind there is a scene in which faculty members present their pens to Nash. What is the origin of the pen ceremony? When did it start?

The scene in the movie A Beautiful Mind in which mathematics professors ritualistically present pens to Nash was completely fabricated in Hollywood. No such custom exists. What it symbolizes is that Nash was accepted and recognized in the mathematics community for his accomplishments. While some movies are based on books, the film A Beautiful Mind states that it was inspired by the life of John Nash. There are many discrepancies between the book and the film

"If you can dream it, you can do it." -Walt Disney

From http://www.princeton.edu/mudd/news/faq/topics/nash.shtml:

The scene in the movie A Beautiful Mind in which mathematics professors ritualistically present pens to Nash was completely fabricated in Hollywood. No such custom exists. What it symbolizes is that Nash was accepted and recognized in the mathematics community for his accomplishments. While some movies are based on books, the film A Beautiful Mind states that it was inspired by the life of John Nash. There are many discrepancies between the book and the film

whoops.. you beat me to it :)

"If you can dream it, you can do it." -Walt Disney

Well, kind responders, this is indeed discouraging! If it is not a custom, it should be. What a GREAT way to build an instant fine pen collection, don't you think? Just become a nominee for the Nobel and voila!

This should also be a custom benefiting anyone who gains any scholarly heights!

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

I understand the appeal of this to any pen collector, and I tend to like Ron Howard movies at least a little. I despise that film, though. I think it's because I am from the home town of Mr. Nash, know a good bit about him, and despised the scenery chewing that Howard seemed to encourage out of Crowe. It ruins even the pen fantasy scene for me.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

Well, kind responders, this is indeed discouraging! If it is not a custom, it should be. What a GREAT way to build an instant fine pen collection, don't you think? Just become a nominee for the Nobel and voila!

Well you'd have to actually be chosen, since nominations are secret. Also, with the money that accompanies the Prize, you could buy yourself whatever pen you like. You could certainly buy 15-20 user grade pens of the likes which professors would carrying around on a day-to-day basis, without even making a dent in the money.

Edited by Chemyst

I was also touched by this scene and shattered to find it was a Hollywood fabrication (although I learned this quite some time ago), so I took it upon myself to give a pen to my boss. How does one go about starting a tradition? Giving of pens would certainly make a nice traditional recognition of scholarly respect (I was SO tempted to use "gifting" there!). I did not give the pen to my boss in a public manner. It was just him and myself in his office, so that is not going to get any tradition started. I wonder if I can give another at my retirement party? Maybe I could arrange it that someone would give ME a Divine Proportion, with the calipers and box and everything at my party? Hmmm? Anyone have one they don't want? ;)

At Your Service,

Clydesdave

despised the scenery chewing that Howard seemed to encourage out of Crowe.

How so?

I've known persons with schizophrenia. I know there are a lot of inaccuracies in the film. Combining the two, I do not believe Nash acted in the way depicted. I found the overacting to be severe and distracting, almost to the level of Sean Penn in I am Sam.

That said, I know this isn't the most appropriate forum for film review. I just had to get it off my chest.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

Answered received. I appreciate it!

One year my son gave me two DVD's for my birthday. One was Gladiator and the other was A Beautiful Mind. It was nice of him to do so but I didn't have a DVD player and had to get one before I could watch them. I thought the pen scene was highly unlikely. Professors at that time usually had only one pen and would not have been likely to give it up in a relatively meaningless gesture like that. Pens would have to be replaced and they were expensive. What in the world would a guy need with a dozen pens anyway? People didn't collect them, they just used them and hoped they would not lose or break the one they had.

People thought of pens as everyday utilitarian objects. It makes as much sense as giving him your overcoat.

Edited by Artie

Not quite a Nobel, but there's a restaurant in Verona, Italy called 12 Apostoli that has a writers/book award, see here. (Just noticed it's actually sponsored by MB.) Anyway if you visit the restaurant, each award winner has left a writing instrument, be it pencil or pen, which are on display. From what I understand, in some cases it's the very instrument used for the award winning piece.

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

One year my son gave me two DVD's for my birthday. One was Gladiator and the other was A Beautiful Mind. It was nice of him to do so but I didn't have a DVD player and had to get one before I could watch them. I thought the pen scene was highly unlikely. Professors at that time usually had only one pen and would not have been likely to give it up in a relatively meaningless gesture like that. Pens would have to be replaced and they were expensive. What in the world would a guy need with a dozen pens anyway? People didn't collect them, they just used them and hoped they would not lose the one they had.

This reminds me of Justice Souter with his one Esterbrook, sitting and reading by the natural sunlight. I doubt he would give his Esterbook up even now.

One year my son gave me two DVD's for my birthday. One was Gladiator and the other was A Beautiful Mind. It was nice of him to do so but I didn't have a DVD player and had to get one before I could watch them. I thought the pen scene was highly unlikely. Professors at that time usually had only one pen and would not have been likely to give it up in a relatively meaningless gesture like that. Pens would have to be replaced and they were expensive. What in the world would a guy need with a dozen pens anyway? People didn't collect them, they just used them and hoped they would not lose the one they had.

This reminds me of Justice Souter with his one Esterbrook, sitting and reading by the natural sunlight. I doubt he would give his Esterbook up even now, though I guess he might be living it up in retirement seeing as how he isn't going back to the family farm.

What's more, what's the true significance of math teacher giving pens? Senseless to me. A favourite instrument, a ruler, compass or something like that.

The voice of this guitar of mine, at the awakening of the morning, wants to sing its joy;

I sing to your volcanoes, to your meadows and flowers, that are like mementos of the greatest of my loves;

If I am to die away from you, may they say I am sleeping, and bring me back home.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

I believe the symbolism of giving a pen transcends the utlilitarianism of purpose. Perhaps in the same light as a bow being more of a symbol of trust more than a circus act of balance. I saw the giving of pens as meaning "I am giving my ideas yet in my own vessel of expression, to you, as your ideas are so superior that I have no need to express mine anymore." Of course only poetic, but that's how I saw it.

As to what anybody would want with so many pens? He was schizophrenic! Who's to say how many pens he would have needed. :roflmho:

At Your Service,

Clydesdave

He was schizophrenic! Who's to say how many pens he would have needed.

He would have ended up believing the pens were talking to him, so the more the merrier!

The voice of this guitar of mine, at the awakening of the morning, wants to sing its joy;

I sing to your volcanoes, to your meadows and flowers, that are like mementos of the greatest of my loves;

If I am to die away from you, may they say I am sleeping, and bring me back home.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Even before watching this movie (which I admit to have done only last year, and not particularly liked it), I initiated a tradition of gifting a fountain pen to [the good] doctors, graduating under my (co-)supervision -- in fact, gifting the very fountain pen that was used for correcting all drafts of their thesis.

The idea is that prior to their graduation I'd given all I could by correcting and commenting on their drafts using this pen -- but now, as minted doctors, they are on their own, they're to take up the pen and express themselves as the expert they are in their domain. I am no longer the expert, I am no longer their superior, but they're welcomed into the ranks by taking possession of the very instrument used for "imparting wisdom" on them. They're peers -- and I pass the proverbial (and physical) baton to them that way.

It's not a tradition that I've made a big spectacle of, and I have not presented the pens at the graduation ceremonies -- but afterwards in the privacy of my office after signing the "final paper"....the one that "releases them from my [and the school's] care". I hand them the signed paper, and the pen with a "Dr. XXX, I believe that henceforth this should belong to you -- as, like you, it now has outlived its tenure with me. I have enjoyed working with the both of you, on your thesis, through frustrations and pleasure. Now it is up to the two of you to continue the adventure together."

Unfortunately, neither I nor any dr's trained by me, have won a Nobel price (yet).

Even before watching this movie (which I admit to have done only last year, and not particularly liked it), I initiated a tradition of gifting a fountain pen to [the good] doctors, graduating under my (co-)supervision -- in fact, gifting the very fountain pen that was used for correcting all drafts of their thesis.

The idea is that prior to their graduation I'd given all I could by correcting and commenting on their drafts using this pen -- but now, as minted doctors, they are on their own, they're to take up the pen and express themselves as the expert they are in their domain. I am no longer the expert, I am no longer their superior, but they're welcomed into the ranks by taking possession of the very instrument used for "imparting wisdom" on them. They're peers -- and I pass the proverbial (and physical) baton to them that way.

It's not a tradition that I've made a big spectacle of, and I have not presented the pens at the graduation ceremonies -- but afterwards in the privacy of my office after signing the "final paper"....the one that "releases them from my [and the school's] care". I hand them the signed paper, and the pen with a "Dr. XXX, I believe that henceforth this should belong to you -- as, like you, it now has outlived its tenure with me. I have enjoyed working with the both of you, on your thesis, through frustrations and pleasure. Now it is up to the two of you to continue the adventure together."

Unfortunately, neither I nor any dr's trained by me, have won a Nobel price (yet).

This is absolutely marvellous, Voop. If only my doctoral supervisor had done the same! (And had a taste for fine writing instruments.)

Damon Young

philosopher & author

OUT NOW: The Art of Reading

http://content.damonyoung.com.au/aor.jpg