What is the biggest mistake in pendom

DWL

Quite simply, I feel the biggest mistake in recent pen history is BIC's choice to close down Sheaffer's Ft. Madison plant and fire craftsmen that have been building quality Sheaffer pens for years.

I have to agree with that one!

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• marklavar

• Apollo

• KendallJ

• Kelly

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I sure wish Montblanc had concentrated more on customer support and quality control than their massive marketing campaign.

I have *zero* interest in buying a modern Montblanc for the ridiculous prices they're asking for them.

Even though I like Johnny Depp. :)

"I am a teacher as well as a witch," said Miss Tick, adjusting her hat

carefully. "Therefore, I make lists. I make assessments. I write things

down in a neat firm hand with pens of two colors."

Miss Tick from

Terry Pratchett's

Wee Free Men

Boy, I love rollerballs. And have never had one leak.

I don't use them any more because they're not fun like FPs, but I'm thinking one of these days I'll get a pretty little rollerball for NCR forms and the like.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

The biggest mistake in pendom is to never own a fountain pen. After all, we are here because we own or want to own fountain pens. We are all here together and ..as someone once said..that is a good thing! So, the biggest mistake would have to be not owning one and not being part of this great little world we have here!

• 2 weeks later...

I like my Krone "Think" pen. I bought iit from a very nice person here on FPN, and I think it's lovely :)

Perhaps it's only the Ltd. Edition Krones that people find so distasteful....

Worst mistake in pendom was probably the Eversharp CA ballpoint; its poor quality brought down a great fountain pen company :( :(

Krone

Glenn hit the nail on the head. KRONE. High priced and UGLY! Besides, who the heck thinks up putting replicated human DNA in a pen? They give off a creepy Oompa-Loompa vibe. :sick:

Total and utter BS! :angry:

Krone pens are beautiful! I have a 'Blue Gold' model and it looks just great. Have you even bothered to look at the pens displayed on the Krone website? Or are you just prejudiced against Krone?

True, some of their pens, like the Abe Lincoln, are of dubious taste, but the majority of their pens look great.

Edited by marklavar

Krone

No way man. I love my Krone's. Great pens. Two reviews in the review section.

You can argue about style or look at a individual pen in a large product line as not meeting your personal tastes or style. But the entire Krone line is wierd, Butt Ugly or both! :doh:

I don't care how well they write. I would personally write horribly with one because I would have to wear a bag over either my hand or my head so I didn't have to look at it while I wrote. :sick:

Stop talking through your backside, man! :angry: Can you honestly say that a Krone 'Blue Gold' or a 'Black Tie' are ugly pens? If you do, then it is you who have no taste.

I find that people who don't like Krone are often just jealous. Sad, very sad.

The biggest mistake in (fountain) pendom is the convertor (apart from Namiki's excellent push button model).

Well even that is debatable. I like convertors at times. There are less parts to worry about, I can ran a cart through it quickly if I want to try other inks. Sometimes holding less ink can be useful too... but then again, I like EDs, I like piston fillers too. Just depends on the situation, and my mood.

I don't have a problem with the idea of a convertor so much as the execution of that idea by most pen manufacturers. Most convertors are poorly designed, often poorly made, basic technology. It would surely be possible to design and make a good, efficient, cartridge / convertor system if a manufacturer devoted even 1% of the resources to the task that they devote to "marketing". I think convertors have been bad for the modern pen industry because they have undermined one of the USPs of the fountain pen - the fun of choosing between lots of different bottled inks!

But that's not the point! The only reason pen companies started producing converters was because of the growing demand for cartridge pens, especially among schoolkids. Kids don't want to bring messy bottles of ink with them to school - we're not in the 1950s! Cartidges make ink pens practical, and that's a good thing, in my opinion.

Easily the rollerball. Writes like a good ballpoint, leaks like a not-so-good fountain pen, and the refills (except for the newer C/C rollerballs) are a lot more expensive than fountain pen cartridges, much less bottled ink.

It depends. Have you tried the Uniball Jetstream? It's a great pen, and cheap too. But yes, some rollers are really quite nasty. I find Uniball makes the best ones.

Total and utter BS! ...

Stop talking through your backside, man!  :angry:

Let's keep a watch on the language and tone used to keep this thread going.

I find that people who don't like Krone are often just jealous.  Sad, very sad.

While we are at it, let's also avoid childish comments.

Can you honestly say that a Krone 'Blue Gold' or a 'Black Tie' are ugly pens?  If you do, then it is you who have no taste. 

I am sure there are many people who find them ugly, just as I am sure many others find them beautiful. What I am not sure about is how simply differing tastes in pen aesthetics are causing anger and personal snipes. Let's keep the strong feelings directed toward pens, not people.

cartridges/converters

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try” Mark Twain

Artificial limited/special editions?

Manufacturer: "Our sales are stagnant. Let's see...why don't we add a new color and call it special. Maybe even number the pens. Buyers will surely believe our marketing."

Buyer: "Oh, wow! Only an extra $100 and I will be one of the few to own a fuschia version. I can't ink such an investment!"

Manufacturer: The fuschia pens sold well. Let's try it in puce. Oh, and we might as well use those crappy nibs in the warehouse that we didn't know what to do with."

Bill

Total and utter BS! ...

Stop talking through your backside, man!  :angry:

Let's keep a watch on the language and tone used to keep this thread going.

I find that people who don't like Krone are often just jealous.  Sad, very sad.

While we are at it, let's also avoid childish comments.

Can you honestly say that a Krone 'Blue Gold' or a 'Black Tie' are ugly pens?  If you do, then it is you who have no taste. 

I am sure there are many people who find them ugly, just as I am sure many others find them beautiful. What I am not sure about is how simply differing tastes in pen aesthetics are causing anger and personal snipes. Let's keep the strong feelings directed toward pens, not people.

Very well said, Stylo. Thank you :)

A hot wind was blowing around my head, the strands of my hair lifting and swirling in it, like ink spilled in water. ~ Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

Krone

Glenn hit the nail on the head. KRONE. High priced and UGLY! Besides, who the heck thinks up putting replicated human DNA in a pen? They give off a creepy Oompa-Loompa vibe. :sick:

Total and utter BS! :angry:

Krone pens are beautiful! I have a 'Blue Gold' model and it looks just great. Have you even bothered to look at the pens displayed on the Krone website? Or are you just prejudiced against Krone?

True, some of their pens, like the Abe Lincoln, are of dubious taste, but the majority of their pens look great.

Ease up on your "tude" my son. You're coming across as a troll.

If you happen to like Krone, good for you. Some folks like them and some don't. That's just the way of things. You're entitled to your opinion about them, but you cross the line when you start name calling. You haven't a clue about me or anyone else here who posts, so to refer to people as speaking through their backsides, prejudiced and jealous is uncalled for and juvenile. Bottom Line: If you can't keep it civil, don't bother posting!

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

I'm not the juvenile here. When a poster starts to make sweeping comments about a whole brand of pens, then it is he who is being silly. He deserves chastisement - and will receive it.

Edited by marklavar

I'm not the juvenile here. When a poster starts to make sweeping comments about a whole brand of pens, then it is he who is being silly. He deserves chastisement - and will receive it.

You don't get it, so let me explain it to you. Some people have tastes that differ from yours. Accept it and go on with your life. You can post praises to Krone as much as you like and no one here is going to resort to personal attacks or threats of chastisement against you. So, why do you insist on doing it to others? As a moderator I'm going to ask you AGAIN to keep a watch on your tone and keep it civil.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

I very much appreciate the general "gentlemanly" tone on this FPN, that keeps things from getting personal. Thanks to the moderators for helping to keep it that way. I wouldn't hang out here as much if it wasn't this way. Of course, some might consider that a reason to change the tone.

Is "gentlemanly" as outdated a concept as...as........fountain pens? Maybe that's why they go so well together!

Ron

Ron

Favorite Pens: Parker "51"Lamy 2000; Bexley America the Beautiful; Pilot Custom 823, 912 and 74; Sheaffer Early Touchdown; Parker Vacumatic; Sheaffer Legacy

cartridges/converters

I second that. I'm definately spoiled by the piston, button and lever fillers! Gave away all of my cartidge/converter fp's with the exception of my two Safaris.