Please post your cursive alphabet here

penspouse

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/BusinessWriting2.jpg

caliken

It is perfectly beautiful and flawless. And I cannot believe how uncomfortable I became on seeing it! I was transported back to grammar school and the nuns when I was learning to write. The nuns would love you! You are a vision of, of, of, nunliness! thumbup.gif

What else do we have in life if not to help each other?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penspouse

• Inka

• fenriz

• mrcharlie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

keep all the vertical strokes horizontal

That must be hard indeed. I wouldn't even try to. SCNR :ltcapd:

It's legible, that's what's important (with the exception of the bunch of (fops, tops, lops?).

Oops :embarrassed_smile: I meant "vertical lines vertical (pointing North)".

Yep, fops in blighty means "posh people" (usually dressed up in all their frippery - in this case hunting poor foxes).

Re:Writing, I also find that using a fountain pen makes it much more legible in of itself (you should see my writing with a biro :D).

I have been practicing my cursive for the past few months, but it has been very difficult to get used to it. I have been writing with a mix of print and cursive for so long, and my cursive was never very good to begin with. Here's a scan of more careful writing, but still at a reasonable speed. My note-taking speed results in falling back into a mix of cursive and print that is challenging to read.

My work-in-progress:

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/340/scan1k.jpg

Edited by gillyohan

Inked:

Pelikan m205 black 0.9ci/F Italifine (Diamine Damson);

Aurora 88 nikargenta (Iroshizuku Kon-Peki);

Pelikan 140 Steno (J Herbin Lie de Thé)

What a fantastic thread! It's great to see such wonderful penpersonship and diversity! Particularly impressed with feriz and Crewel. Caliken, what you've produced isn't hand writing - it's art!!! :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

Here's mine. I want very badly to change many of my caps...particularly D, F, H, I, Q, S, and T. I made up that Z on the spot- I haven't ever needed a capital Z since I switched back to cursive from printing.

EDIT:

The image would be helpful.

http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr316/michaelpalone/alphabet.jpg

I would greatly appreciate constructive criticism. I know I have plenty to work on ;)

Edited by hawkmp4
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry about the quality of the picture. My camera's white balance thinks that white should be mapped to yellow :bonk:

http://i.imgur.com/DvCVW.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/BusinessWriting2.jpg

caliken

Do you have a demo of this on your website or DVD?

Never mind - I found it! Thanks

Edited by MicheleB

We can trust the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. - Immanual Kant

http://i.imgur.com/DvCVW.jpg

I'd sure classify it as cursive. Nice, legible cursive at that.

And I only wish I could keep my baselines that even!

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/148/mikesignh6.gif

"A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral." –Antoine de Saint Exupéry

It's lovely to look through these, not just because they're beautiful examples, but because I've forgotten how to write most capital letters in cursive! I just got into FPs, and beforehand never really had an excuse to use cursive, except for a signature. So, I learned it in third grade, and promptly forgot most of it. I need practice in lowercase, and instruction in uppercase, and once I practice a little more I'll post a sample and ask for some feedback!

"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." - E.H.

http://soundoftheanything.blogspot.com/

Hey, thanks, Sidandnancy! And you too, Foowriter! God, I love to work on the handwriting, and it looks better now than it did when I posted that image. I got a MB 146 OBB a few weeks ago and it has transformed my handwriting since I got it. It's my first BB of any kind and I'm in love (it's also my first factory oblique). The line variation allows me to close the loops even though the nib is so broad. This nib has improved my handwriting permanently.

Has anyone else had this experience?

(HEY, IT'S MY 100th POST!)

Edited by fenriz

Here is a sample of my cursive. I lasted only two sentences before switching to my daily writing. This is an achilles tendon for me, but I shall prevail!

post-42121-092889800 1277988230.jpg

An eye for insignificant details is a good sign you will do just fine in medical school...

As a sharp wit and powerful sarcasm is a sign that you already have.

Somebody

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii241/bigstickpilot/Bulletin%20Board/FPN100705a.jpg

Many are very similar, because for several generations penmanship was taught to virtually everyone in North America and Western Europe and the far-flung Empire from a very small number of related paradigms.

Pelikan 120 : Lamy 2000 : Sheaffer PFM III : Parker DuoFold Jr : Hero 239 : Pilot Vanishing Point : Danitrio Cum Laude : Esterbrook LJ : Waterman's 12 and an unknown lever-filler : Lambert Drop-fill : Conway Stewart 388

MB Racing Green : Diamine Sapphire Blue , Registrar's : J. Herbin violet pensée , café des îles : Noodler's Baystate Blue : Waterman Purple, Florida Blue

• 3 weeks later...

Dang, bigstick. It looks great. I'm really not familiar with the italic hand, but I've seen plenty of examples on FPN. How is it that you wind up settling into it when you pick up your speed in cursive?

Dang, bigstick. It looks great. I'm really not familiar with the italic hand, but I've seen plenty of examples on FPN. How is it that you wind up settling into it when you pick up your speed in cursive?

Well, I forced myself to learn italic writing at age 20, and used it exclusively for a couple of decades, then as time passed developed a slightly sloppier version that writes a little faster. It's an act of will to go back to my youth and write with the school-hand again, so as speed picks up, I naturally lapse into the form I've used most recently - italic or its close descendant. The link to this pen stems from it being the one I bought to celebrate my new handwriting, my first "real" italic fountain pen, rather than the Shaeffer Calligraphy set I used to learn it.

Edited by bigstick

Pelikan 120 : Lamy 2000 : Sheaffer PFM III : Parker DuoFold Jr : Hero 239 : Pilot Vanishing Point : Danitrio Cum Laude : Esterbrook LJ : Waterman's 12 and an unknown lever-filler : Lambert Drop-fill : Conway Stewart 388

MB Racing Green : Diamine Sapphire Blue , Registrar's : J. Herbin violet pensée , café des îles : Noodler's Baystate Blue : Waterman Purple, Florida Blue

WOW... I am feeling worse and worse at not having learned cursive writing :crybaby:

Current Daily Writers → Parker 45 Flighter with Blue Quink, Pelikan Pelikano with Pelikan Blue.

Wishlist → TWSBI Diamond 530, Lamy 2000, Parker 51.

My Blogblog.adityashevade.com | My Technical Blogwww.noob2geek.com

Sorry for the (cruddy) picture. It was taken with my webcam... o_o

Edited to remove potty mouth that I thought was not potty mouth :o

post-34579-069782400 1279851892.jpg

Edited by phr4nkr4wk5

The above shall not be construed as legal advice under any circumstances

• 1 year later...

This is what it looks like today. Usually when I write actual sentences and such my writing has more flourishes (especially ending 'y' and 'g'). There is no standard for 'I' and 'T'; sometimes one goes below the line but not the other, sometimes both do, and sometimes neither.

post-35535-0-89503900-1330357980.jpg

I have decided that in order to improve my penmanship, I need to work on spacing of my letters and consistency in size. I know how to practice that to make it better, but I don't like the way I fom some of my letters, in particular, several of my capital/uppercase letters. I need some ideas. I am looking for everyday writing. I don't need lots of flourishes or embellishments. I just want decent looking letters to get the job done. If you would be willing to post a sample of your written alphabet so I could see how you form your letters, I would be most appreciative.

Hi

Im going to spoilt the party and through a bit of back slant into the mix if thats ok?

I too have wanted to improve my handwriting, but for the last month I have swayed to the dark size of slantingroflmho.gif

Maybe a tilt will make it look more regular?

Kind regards

Jay