new pen store in mpls

minnman

Just a quick note regarding a new (to me at least) source of fountain pens in Minneapolis. Its Penco on Washington at about 10th Avenue North. More of an art supply store but they have a few Lamy and Cross pens. They had a good deal on a Lamy Al-Star wherein I got it with a special ordered ef nib and with a converter for under $40. I don't remember the exact discount/sale but it was better if you got a couple. They mentioned that a Cross special would start soon. No ink selection, but the prices were very reasonable.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• minnman

• dayonfire

• Angela

• cellardoor04

Just a quick note regarding a new (to me at least) source of fountain pens in Minneapolis. Its Penco on Washington at about 10th Avenue North.

I don't see it here:

http://penshops.info/location/directory/us/MN/Minneapolis

Would you do me a favor and create an entry for it with as much information as you have? That would help other people.

Who are the pen shops in your neighborhood? Find out or tell us where they are, at http://penshops.info/

Blog: http://splicer.com/

Sweet! Minnesota is a neglected market for fine pen stores. Paradise Pen Co. is nice, but you will pay for it. Thanks for the tip.

Sweet! Minnesota is a neglected market for fine pen stores. Paradise Pen Co. is nice, but you will pay for it. Thanks for the tip.

I think we have a better selection than most markets: INK, Art Materials, Wet Paint, that place up in Crystal.

Now this. Funny, I looked for this place yesterday, but I was at 10th, not 10th North.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

It is up Washington towards Broadway, away from 35W. On the river side of Washington. It is on the downtown side of 10th probably. I haven't gone to work in a while, but when I do I will get a precise location/adress.

Is this the store you're talking about:

http://www.artsuppliesonline.com/retail.cfm

I have been to the store in Menomonie, but not the Mpls one. The WI store wasn't that large, but was ok on prices and selection. I was mainly shopping for matboard and a mat cutter at the time, so remember that most of all. I haven't poked around their website in awhile, but thought I'd toss this in here in case it helps anyone.

~Michael~

St. Paulite here. Here are the two art/pen stores I would recommend to anyone who is new to the Cities or new to their obsession with fountain pens, fine papers, and other related ephemera.

Wet Paint: Artists' Materials & Framing

http://www.wetpaintart.com/

1684 Grand Avenue

Saint Paul, MN 55105

651.698.6431 info@wetpaintart.com

HOURS: M-F, 10a-8p; Sa, 10a-6p; Su, 12n-5p (U.S. Central Standard Time)

(Grand Avenue in St. Paul by Macalester College)

THE quintessential small art store with great customer service and a surprising amount of good product. They carry WhiteLines now upon my insistence, and now carry Noodler's inks. They have a great blank journal selection and a small but solid number of fp offerings. I go there exclusively for inks and journals (when not buying ink here on the Network).

Art Materials

http://www.artmaterialsonline.com/

2728 Lyndale Ave. S

Minneapolis, MN 55408

612.872.8088 / 800.363.7709

FAX: 1.612.872.2266

Great art store, complete with many types of blank journals, papers, and geeky trinkets. It also has a separate writing instrument "wing" called Uptown Pen. Here you will find a very nice selection of high end pens (many fps) and the full line of PR inks. Good customer service. Knowledgeable staff.

If there is a (semi) regular gathering of FPN members in the Cities, make sure and count me in.

Edited by dayonfire

• 2 weeks later...

Is the Fountain Pen Recycler still open for business? Both numbers on the website are dead. I put a post up in the Marketplace asking this same question but I haven't gotten a response, so I thought I would try here. Would appreciate any information before taking the drive out to Crystal from Mpls.

To my knowledge Mike Carter and his Fountain Pen Recycler are still around...but hmmmm...

Is the Fountain Pen Recycler still open for business? Both numbers on the website are dead. I put a post up in the Marketplace asking this same question but I haven't gotten a response, so I thought I would try here. Would appreciate any information before taking the drive out to Crystal from Mpls.

Who in the Twin Cities has the best selection of journals? I've never done before but am looking to start one as a way to document my son's first year. I'm hoping it will be a fun and useful project with the added benefit of getting to use my pens more.

Excellent question. I hope all Twin Citian FP users on here chime in.

I would say Wet Paint on Grand Avenue in St. Paul.

Wet Paint: Artists' Materials & Framing

http://www.wetpaintart.com/

1684 Grand Avenue

Saint Paul, MN 55105

651.698.6431 info@wetpaintart.com

HOURS: M-F, 10a-8p; Sa, 10a-6p; Su, 12n-5p (U.S. Central Standard Time)

Huge selection. WhiteLines, Moleskine, Hammerpress, Kokuyo, Rhodia, Clairefontaine, and more.

Who in the Twin Cities has the best selection of journals? I've never done before but am looking to start one as a way to document my son's first year. I'm hoping it will be a fun and useful project with the added benefit of getting to use my pens more.
Edited by dayonfire

• 5 years later...

Urgent! Hi guys, is the Fountain Pen Recycler still in business and using his website www.fountainpenrecycler.com ? I asked my brother in NY to purchase a pen from there, but it hasn't arrived after a week and there hasn't been any update from the company besides a PayPal receipt. Furthermore, we can't contact them through their phone or email, and the "confirmation code status check" option on the website isn't working either. Please help!!!

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

Yes. He's in business. I just got 2 vintage pens repaired by him. They arrived last week. I did email and ask for a tracking number and he did respond. I also spoke to him on the phone while the pens were being repaired.

Yes. He's in business. I just got 2 vintage pens repaired by him. They arrived last week. I did email and ask for a tracking number and he did respond. I also spoke to him on the phone while the pens were being repaired.

Ooh, thank you Angela! Is his phone number the same one listed on the website? I tried emailing but there was no response. Well it's good to hear he's still in business. Thanks once again :)

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

Ooh, thank you Angela! Is his phone number the same one listed on the website? I tried emailing but there was no response. Well it's good to hear he's still in business. Thanks once again :)

I got all the contact information from his website.