Noodler's Apache Sunset

Inka

I just received 4 new ink samples in the mail to try, from an FPN member and good friend.

The first one I'd tested is Noodler's Apache Sunset, since having already trying Habanero I wanted to see it first for comparison.

Not disappointed in the least, Apache Sunset is even brighter than Habanero was, should be a good candidate for use in my Mustard VP pen.

Here's the written review...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/Noodlers-Apache-Sunset-Rev.jpg

When I first removed all 4 sample inks from the box they came in, I gave each a try with one of the EF dip-nibs I got from FPN member jbb.

After letting them all dry for more than an hour, I got the tap water running on the HOT side and ran it over the sample until the paper became saturated.

Here are the results and in case you can't make out what I wrote it's Noodler's Gulfstream Blue [waterproof ink, from Swisher], Sheaffer's Skrip Red [slovenian], Noodler's Ottoman Rose, and finally Noodler's Apache Sunset.

It was no surprise that Gulfstream Blue survived the HOT running water soaking, but I didn't expect anything to remain of the Apache Sunset, yet there it is still somewhat legible.

While most of the Apache Sunset finally washed out of the Staples sugarcane bagasse paper I'd written on, it took time, I was also surprised it held on for so long and I can still read what I wrote where the Apache Sunset is...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/MultipleWashTest.jpg

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• Inka

• offbase

• tnmike1

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the shading and color of this ink. However that "dry" feeling becomes almost unbearable in a normally wet-flowing B nib. After gritting my teeth in frustration, I found Herbin's Orange Indien and PR's Shoreline Gold give similar effects in the same color family, without the feeling of dragging an uninked pen across the page.

Lovely, just too painful for regular use.

Thanks for the feedback.

I love the color and shading too and it forced me to slow down, a lot, while writing due to being dry.

If nothing else it cleaned up my hand writing a bit, but I think it would drive me crazy too if it does this in a daily use pen.

I was wondering how this ink would feel using it through such a tiny nib as on the VP line.

The VP I have now has a Medium nib that's actually pretty smooth, even with Habanero I wasn't having any drag.

Thing is this Pelikan M800 almost never feels dry to me, smooth as greased glass most times.

I've even posted comments on ink reviews I've written with this pen, saying certain inks wrote a bit wet, only to hear back from others the same ink ran dry for them.

Sounds like you've tried a fair share of oranges; so have you come across any yet that feel semi-lubricating?

I'm growing rather fond of this color range, wasn't too keen on it at first but it's growing on me, especially when used in a dark yellowy-orange pen.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

PRs Orange Crush [can go brown on some folks, latest bottle is a DEEP orange], PRs Shoreline Gold - regular user, Herbin's Orange Indien gives almost identical shading with excellent flow and that's as far as I've gotten.

If you check the ink reviews on down, someone did a whole thread on oranges.

Sounds good, I think I might have some J. Herbin here I've been anxious to test-fly.

Thanks again, as it's always better to get a fresh outlook than an old review.

Daily use is important, since it will be going into a daily-carry pen most certainly, would be even better if I found one that's permanent.

I'll have to go take a look-see for the orange ink listings/reviews.

I thought the Orange Indien would be too bright, but it surprised me. And, if you forget and put it in a pen you haven't thoroughly rinsed, sometimes you get fortuitous mixes!

I thought someone had misspelled Indian when I'd first seen the review list [indien?].

;)

Is that like meaning from the East Indies/West Indies?

Not really a question, I'm sure I'll be looking that up too, just a curiosity.

The color in the reviews so far looks almost identical to this Apache Sunset.

I've had those "fortuitous" things happen at times, had a really cool color coming out of my VP nib after using Polar Brown and switching to Hunter Green Eternal.

It was like a brilliant yellowy florescent green with lines of brownish gold along the edges; too bad I can't get an ink to do that all the time.

B)

I've been using Nooder's Operation Overlord Orange in a wet Visconti xf nib for the past two days, and it flows well, doesn't have nib creep and feels much more lubricated than Apache (although it's hardly comparable to Aurora Black on the lubrication scale). Sadley, it is a pretty even, true orange comparable to the color of an orange lifesaver candy, and doesn't shade anywhere near what Apache does. However, it's waterproof.

One day I'll get a Visconti, have never had one and the ones I have only seen online and here all look like beautiful pens to me, will just have to wait until things here change for the better.

AS for the V inks, I've seen many reviews here and do like the colors, just didn't know they're also waterproof, a huge bonus!

I do ink mixing, so maybe adding some non-waterproof Apache Sunset or similar could still give me the shading I like, could even [when mixed] remain waterproof, as I've seen some of my other blends do.

It is worth a try at least, or even just getting the Noodler’s Operation Overlord Orange despite a lack of shading would be a good choice for me as well.

Many thanks for the feedback and the information!

B) :thumbup:

Found Apache works well in all my Pelikans, but very dry in my Lamy Safari. SO could be quality of the nib or the feeds.

Have 2/3 bottle of Apache if anyone wants to swap for another orange. Not too picky on which maker of orange either.

Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL

I'm considering getting some of the Operation Overlord inks in future as reports here sound like they have less issues than other Noodlers. Love Noodlers colors, they just don't suit a lot of my collection. So when I hear someone give a good review out of a Visconti and see many reviews saying the flow is good, I'm tempted to try again.

I doubt you'll regret it. Flow and dry nib issues were really all that's kept me from using Apache. I've had several bottles gathering dust for years. The OOO WILL be used.