#91 Rena

Rena

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:27

This was part of a "wax sealing process" set that I took for a penpal with a really great blog...

Hey, thanks!

That series of photos was incredible! Here's the link to it on my blog for anyone who might want to have a look.

Still impressed with the way the "photos of the photos" came out there.

I'm impressed too. And GreenVelvet, I love your blog!

#92 voop

voop

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,280 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 23:49

My problem is: I'm not of royal or otherwise extraction according me a coat of arms, and I have struggled to find a telling monogram or logo. Otherwise, I'd have a wax seal made in a heartbeat and used daily.....

Alas, until I find the right motive.....

#93 GreenVelvet

GreenVelvet

The Missive Maven

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 16:02

This was part of a "wax sealing process" set that I took for a penpal with a really great blog...

Hey, thanks!

That series of photos was incredible! Here's the link to it on my blog for anyone who might want to have a look.

Still impressed with the way the "photos of the photos" came out there.

I'm impressed too. And GreenVelvet, I love your blog!

Thanks! I have a lot of fun with it.

#94 withoutink

withoutink

Ink Donations Accepted ;)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:50

I have a wax seal kit, one of the cheapies sold at stores. I haven't used it in years. I think most people thought it odd I even used it at all. I was in Kunming China last year (adopted a little boy) and I bought four chops. In china you can get chops everywhere, I however wanted to seek out a master carver. I wanted something made really well, not just scratched.

So I found this guy.

Posted Image

I had him make these four chops...

Posted Image

The first two will be for my son. One is his Chinese name the other the one we gave him. The next two are my chops. I really need to use them more often.
Cheers-

withoutink

"Do Nothing Which is of No Use." - Musashi Miyamoto (Ancient Swordsman from the 1600's)
withoutink.com | twitter | facebook

#95 Rena

Rena

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,207 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 October 2009 - 22:57

I have a wax seal kit, one of the cheapies sold at stores. I haven't used it in years. I think most people thought it odd I even used it at all. I was in Kunming China last year (adopted a little boy) and I bought four chops. In china you can get chops everywhere, I however wanted to seek out a master carver. I wanted something made really well, not just scratched.

So I found this guy.

Posted Image

I had him make these four chops...

Posted Image

The first two will be for my son. One is his Chinese name the other the one we gave him. The next two are my chops. I really need to use them more often.

Very nice.

#96 withoutink

withoutink

Ink Donations Accepted ;)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 23:59

Thanks, I also use cinnabar paste with the chops, but didnt want to for the shot this morning =)
Cheers-

withoutink

"Do Nothing Which is of No Use." - Musashi Miyamoto (Ancient Swordsman from the 1600's)
withoutink.com | twitter | facebook

#97 Anglofil

Anglofil

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:42

My problem is: I'm not of royal or otherwise extraction according me a coat of arms, and I have struggled to find a telling monogram or logo. Otherwise, I'd have a wax seal made in a heartbeat and used daily.....

No need to be of royal or any other extraction to have a coat of arms! Most of those of us that are armigerous are commoners and in most countries there are no heraldic authorities that govern burgher arms. Free assumption is the norm.

For a good primer in English see the website of the American Heraldry Society.

Edited by Anglofil, 03 November 2009 - 10:43.

#98 voop

voop

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,280 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 00:43

No need to be of royal or any other extraction to have a coat of arms! Most of those of us that are armigerous are commoners and in most countries there are no heraldic authorities that govern burgher arms. Free assumption is the norm.

Right. I am sure that I could, legally, make up a coat of arms, and use it without any risk ;)

That said, I'm a citizen of a Kingdom and a devout royalist (although I live in a republic.....), and so I tend to chose to respect traditions on such matters.

I've thought to get a seal made up with a monogram or some such thing, but I've not thought it out well enough to act. Also, I've got as little "artistic skills" as I've got royal blood, so my attempts at sketching up a seal have thus far not been successful.....

#99 Anglofil

Anglofil

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:03

Right. I am sure that I could, legally, make up a coat of arms, and use it without any risk ;)

That said, I'm a citizen of a Kingdom and a devout royalist (although I live in a republic.....), and so I tend to chose to respect traditions on such matters.

I've thought to get a seal made up with a monogram or some such thing, but I've not thought it out well enough to act. Also, I've got as little "artistic skills" as I've got royal blood, so my attempts at sketching up a seal have thus far not been successful.....

Just to avoid any confusion:
I am a citizen of one Kingdom, and live in another, both Scandinavian. Scandinavian, and Continental, heraldic tradition is such that assumption of arms is free. Very, very few countries have regulated heraldry, in fact in Europe only England, Scotland, and Ireland have heraldic authorities which grant arms to their citizens. However any citizen of these countries are free to apply for a grant of arms!
Heraldry is not, and never has been, reserved for royalty or even nobility!

#100 cohlineman

cohlineman

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:57

"If you like it buy it" this works for cars, pens and wax seals depicting coats of arms etc!

I just pulled the trigger on a Dexter Rings desk seal. I found a Heraldic Beast on their website that was the bust of a Greyhound! I love greyhounds, especially mine. Imagine my surprise when I click on the design's number and discover that the bust I chose represented the Magor family name. I am not a Magor, nor am I from the Emerald isle or the land of the Union Jack, but my humble Italian last name is only one consonant off in the middle...I am a very un-noble Macor, but I will have a nice wax seal!

And should one of my sealed letters be seen by a Magor clan member, I will BS him or her into believing that during the Renaissance, great great super great great uncle Twixtleberry Magor went to the little coastal town of Lignano/Sabbia D'oro in Italy, had an interlude with one of the local hotties and changed his last name ever so slightly on the hasty marriage license. He ran back to Chip Chip Cheroo England ten months later and the rest is history... little Macors began propagating the Adriatic!
Yakshemash! I liking many things in U S and A., only Kazakhstan have superior Plutonium! Happy Times!

#101 etzbseder

etzbseder

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:07

I just got my seal made, and just need to get pictures made. I had it made from a photo of my dog that I took myself and photoshopped.

#102 thomasdav

thomasdav

vadsamoht

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 15:03

My parents collect wax seals, and I have quite a number of them myself. I'll upload some pictures once my uni exams finish - there is one particularly rare set that I think some of you may find interesting.
More of a lurker than a poster. Blog at www.vadsamoht.com

Daily Writers:
- Charcoal Lamy Safari (EF) - Filled with Aurora Blue
- Waterman Phileas (EF) - Filled with Noodler's HOD

#103 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• 1,133 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:36

Posted Image
This is probably the best result I've managed to get so far, and of course, this is my favorite seal that I have.
"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss
The Poor Connoisseurs

#104 jomielll

jomielll

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:39

They are not antiques, but after reading your response I went back and looked at the picture, they do look kind of "antiquey" I guess. I got these at letterseals.com. And someone already answered, but just to confirm, denatured alcohol is the fuel for the lamp. So, I then read the response about the photo - and went back AGAIN to look at the photo. I appreciate the comment, but I promise it was just luck. Most of my photos turn out really bad. This was part of a "wax sealing process" set that I took for a penpal with a really great blog...

Thanks for the link, I've been trying to find an initial seal but wanted something more fancy.

#105 mooshi

mooshi

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:08

For those who use the wicked wax sticks, how do you keep the wax from burning? I was doing well for a while, but lately my seals were getting tiny black splotches of burnt goodness in them. :( Any tips?

#106 Rena

Rena

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,207 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2011 - 18:32

Moo, I don't know if you can get around some of the soot marks when using wax with wicks, because the flame will scorch the wax when it is that close. I happen to like the look (a lot), which is just one of the reasons I enjoy using matches when melting sealing wax. But you are not alone in disliking it — many people report that using a torch lighter with wickless sealing wax avoids the soot marks.

Shaylenwiliams, what a gorgeous peacock seal!!!!!

#107 mooshi

mooshi

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2011 - 22:58

Thanks for the reply Rena. I don't mind the marks too much. But I guess I would prefer that they were not there. :)

#108 negirl

negirl

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2011 - 23:16

Shaylen,
That seal is gorgeous as is the wax color. Do you use a stamp pad with it too or just the wax?

#109 Shangas

Shangas

Sealing wax and other fancy stuff...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,956 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2011 - 00:04

Posted Image

Dragon seal.

Closeup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

'S' seal (take my word for it!)

Posted Image
My chop with my name in Chinese (a gift from my mother. She gave one to my brother as well, and said that every Chinese man should have one).

Posted Image

This is one of my watch-chains. I'm wondering if I should get the fob, a sealing-stamp, engraved with my monogram? What do you think? I'm thinking of an intertwined SC, similar to the Conway Stewart monogram.

Edited by Shangas, 05 March 2011 - 00:05.

"I, the proud owner of a fountain pen!" - Anne Frank.
Political Correctness [Definition]: A pitiful attempt by mankind to please all, disguise the truth, and fail at both.
"Not Yet Published". My Writing and History Blog.

#110 Wickwack

Wickwack

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2011 - 00:47

Shengas - what an interesting writing box! I've never seen one with the top part that holds the instruments! My favorite seal is a vintage 19th century Intaglia onyx stamp with a sterling silver handle that says in the tiniest letters "I will never forget thee" around a rose. From my research I've found out Intaglia is known for sealing stamps with very tiny sayings. I'll post a photo tomorrow as I'm not at home right now....

Moo - I agree with the electric torch idea, you have to run the flame back & forth quickly to melt the wax without holding it too long so the wax doesn't burn. I prefer using matches myself also.

Love this thread!
Be kind to strangers as you may be entertaining angels unawares.
Forgiveness is the scent of the violet on the heel that crushed it.

Posted Image

#111 Shangas

Shangas

• Member - Gold

• 6,956 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:14

When using wickless wax, I use a cigarette lighter. Not very elegant, perhaps...but...
Political Correctness [Definition]: A pitiful attempt by mankind to please all, disguise the truth, and fail at both.

#112 ClassicHippie

ClassicHippie

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:56

These are great- I'm still deciding what kind of seal I want.

#113 didanawisgi

didanawisgi

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:09

Oh, great. Just great. Wonderful. Exactly what I needed....

I'm running out of stationary, so I decide to hop on here - just real quick - to seek out discussions pointing to a good replacement.

Then... then I see this interesting looking thread. "It's only three pages," I tell myself. "A quick look won't hurt."

Now I'm going to spend the next hour or so not studying, as I should be. No... no, no no. Now, thanks to you guys, I'm going to be looking up and learning about wax seals. And stationary.

:)

Thanks to all who posted the photos! Very cool!

#114 Rena

Rena

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,207 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:26

Yay, Shangas, thanks for adding your gorgeous photos to this thread! I've never seen embellished sealing wax sticks like yours before. They are very, very beautiful. Of course I love your dragon seal, and your desk...

#115 Rena

Rena

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,207 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:43

Posted Image
My chop with my name in Chinese (a gift from my mother. She gave one to my brother as well, and said that every Chinese man should have one).

Very classy. That it's a gift from your mother, and linked to your heritage and cultural traditions makes it all the more meaningful.

Notice how beautiful the patina from the blackened areas of red wax. You know immediately that someone took time to melt wax by hand, and that it is not perfect as though produced from a machine. Oh, and I can almost smell the fragrant wax burning when I see the blackened area. Gorgeous.

#116 Shangas

Shangas

• Member - Gold

• 6,956 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:27

Didana...No escape. Now you will go out and buy some wax. Something absolutely do not need, and a seal, another thing you do not need. And you will enjoy them.

Rena,

Thanks!

Neitehr have I seen wax sticks such as that. I bought those when I was in Singapore last year. The ones I buy locally are all plain. The dragon ring leaves a nice impression, but because the design isn't sunken in, like a signet-ring should be, the imprint doesn't come out very nice.

And yes, I threw in a picture of the desk.

My mother bought me the chop when she was in China and had it carved with my name ("Zhang Sha-Han"). She had one made for my brother years ago, and she decided it was time I had one as well. To her, it's rather a sentimental thing. Her father, my maternal grandfather, was a successful businessman and she remembers him signing all kinds of documents with a chop like mine, with his name carved in it. So she insisted that I should have one. Especially since she knew how much I liked "writing stuff" (her words, not mine).

My seals always tend to be a bit lopsided. I dunno why. But I'm glad you liked it.

#117 esterbex

esterbex

Rightly seasoned

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2011 - 13:48

Shangas....you are a blessed man! :cloud9: Your mother has a beautiful soul.
God is seldom early, never late, and always on time. ~~Larry Brown

#118 happyhaley

happyhaley

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2011 - 16:45

Posted Image
This is probably the best result I've managed to get so far, and of course, this is my favorite seal that I have.

Lovely Shaylen!

~Haley

#119 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• 1,133 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 17:08

Shaylen,
That seal is gorgeous as is the wax color. Do you use a stamp pad with it too or just the wax?

Thanks, I used the J. Herbin stamp-pad stick to get the gold on the raised part of the peacock.
"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss
The Poor Connoisseurs

#120 texaspenman

texaspenman

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2011 - 15:40

I just purchased a 19th Century Tibetan Seal, brought out of Tibet during the 1950's. I love it because it depicts two fish but also looks like a lion. Here is my new seal:

BC317F.jpg

BC317B.jpg

$(KGrHqIOKjYE0-oKNQQkBNgEHUpW7Q~~0_3.JPG
Posted Image "Of all of the instruments of war, diplomacy, and revolution, the pen has been the silent giant determining the fate of nations." -Justin Brundin