Vintage Pens with Stub Nibs?

dmorgen

I've been involved with the fountain pen addiction (oops, I mean hobby) for almost 1-1/2 years ... time does fly! I started with new modern pens, then started leaning towards used pens, primarily vintage. Then I shifted back to modern pens (new or used). Now I'm getting the itch to get back to vintage pens to some degree. But there's a problem ... since switching away from vintage, I've gotten to prefer stub nibs for writing with most of my pens. But there don't seem to be too many stub nibs for the vintage pens I would probably tend to buy (snorkels, Parker 51s, Skylines, and many more). I am not as interested in Esties, even though I have a few which I enjoy, and I know there are some stub nibs for them. As far as I can tell, there are relatively few broad nibs available, which could be made into stubs (I prefer medium & broad stubs).

How do any of you lovers of vintage pens & stub nibs solve this problem?

Dave

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dmorgen

• BillTheEditor

• Johnny Appleseed

Top Posters In This Topic

Um . . . pay more?

Stubs are available for all of the vintage pens you mention, but they are harder to find and you may pay a little more for them. Stubs on Parker 51s in particular come at a premium, but they are out there. I see a fair number of early Waterman 52 / 12 Stub nibs.

Another approach is to find a damaged nib and have it retipped - though the number of people who re-tip are limited. This also has the advantage of not altering an original nib, which some vintage purists object to. If it is alread lost it's tipping, there is nothing of the original grind to be preserved.

Here are a few stubs for sale on ebay right now:

EARLY PARKER EMERALD VAC W HUGE 5B OBLIQUE STUB NIB!!!

PARKER DUOFOLD STANDARD, LATE 1940's, BUTTON FILLER

GREAT COLOR SHEAFFER LIFETIME SR FLATTOP JADE VINT FP

PARKER 51 WITH A MEDIUM STUB NIB!! Item number: 6637164475

Mabie Todd Swan Leverless Fountain Pen NOS

FULLY RESOTRED PARKER VACUMATIC DOUBLE JEWELS

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

The Parker 75 (I guess that's "vintage") has a number of stub nibs available. You can see the selection at John Mottishaw's site.

I bought a Parker 75 with a Number 44 nib (18 k, French made "medium italic stub" -- an unusual combination of names but a great nib) from Jim Gaston. That's how I solved the problem. If you already have a 75, you could buy a nib to suit you from John Mottishaw.

Bill,

I've bought from Jim Gaston before with great success. I didn't realize he sold vintage. I don't YET have a Parker 75, but I wouldn't mind changing that :D ! He's got a Parker 75 stub available now. Unfortunately, it's more than I can spend now ($180+). But someday ...

Thanks for the suggestion. It sounds like if I exhibit more patience than usual, I might be able to find some things :P !

Dave

Thanks for the links. I could see owning that Sheaffer Jade!

That is a nice one - but don't be surprised to see it close up in that Parker 75 range. I have an ebay search saved for "eyedropper or stub" in "Collectables - Pens and writing instruments" that I check everyday.

John

Edited by Johnny Appleseed

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Bill,

I've bought from Jim Gaston before with great success. I didn't realize he sold vintage. I don't YET have a Parker 75, but I wouldn't mind changing that :D ! He's got a Parker 75 stub available now. Unfortunately, it's more than I can spend now ($180+). But someday ...

You've found his vintage pens, then, so there's not much more I can offer EXCEPT that the Parker 75 is truly a wonderful thing to write with and I like it at least as well as the 51. I only have the one "lapis blue" 75 and one 51 desk pen now, but if I make my bonus this quarter I'm thinking about getting a cisele 75 -- yeah, it's a cliche ahd yeah I already have a cisele Sonnet, but all the other kids have a 75 cisele.

I keep telling my wife that my hobby could be hanging out in bars and chasing floozies. So far that's not working too well as justification.

I have an ebay search saved for "eyedropper or stub" in "Collectables - Pens and writing instruments" that I check everyday.

I've never used an ebay saved search ... I think it's time I stop being lazy & figure it out :rolleyes: ! I'm pretty sure I've done searches for "stub" without getting any matches though ... probably just bad timing.

Dave

I keep telling my wife that my hobby could be hanging out in bars and chasing floozies. So far that's not working too well as justification.

I've tried all kinds of "if my hobby was ..." without any luck. I've even tried the "but now I'm spending almost no money on guitar equipment" (which is actually true!) ... my wife says "oh that's a good point" & proceeds to forget that I had a good point (ever) :) !

So, if anybody has a good all purpose line to be used with wives to allow unlimited pen purchases, please tell us. (Or you could start selling it & making a fortune B) ) !

Dave

... my wife says "oh that's a good point" & proceeds to forget that I had a good point (ever) :)

I forget who came up with this, but here's a classic question:

If a man is out in a huge forest, all alone, with no woman within 500 miles,

is he still wrong?

Women know that the answer to this is, "Of course!"

We men persist in thinking that the answer depends on the amount and inventory of hardware, supplies, ammunition, fishing flies, insect repellent, etc. the man is carrying, thus missing the point entirely as far as the women are concerned.

It's a wonder our species has survived at all.

Edited by BillTheEditor