What pen should I write the NY bar with?

MarcM001

I was not one of the 2000 lucky winners of the lottery who were selected to take the NY bar exam this July on computer, so I'll be handwriting several essays as part of the experience and I would like to ask the forum experts for their advice. What pen should I use for this two-day event, given the following:

-It must be comfortable in my hand for hours on end

-It must be smooth so as to consume minimum energy

-It must have no possibility of leaking, skipping, etc

-It must do its utmost to tame my horrific handwriting (!)

-Inexpensive enough to buy a few, for consistency if one needs to be swapped out

-It does not need to be eraseable (no time, a cross out will do)

-Anything else I forgot?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

best regards,

Marc

RottenLawyer.com (parked)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HesNot

• meanwhile

• BillTheEditor

• MarcM001

Top Posters In This Topic

What an interesting question ... my first thought was a bunch of Pilot Varsity's. Inexpensive, visual confirmation of ink levels, decent size and lightweight. My only thoughts were that based on the stone ages when I took the bar we weren't provided with high quality Rhodia pads to write the essays, consequently the fairly wet Varsity nibs might feather and bleed through. Not to mention what if the reviewer spills some water or coffee and erases half your essay in a fit to get through that last essay before lunch?

I then thought of the workhorse "51" loaded with Noodler's black permanent ink but having a couple of them on hand would be expensive.

And this comes from a dedicated FP user, but I actually think this is one instance where a handful of G2 rollerballs would be a more reliable and safe choice than any relatively inexpensive pens I can think of... :(

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

Parker 45, medium nib, with two packs of blue, black, or blue-black cartridges. Assuming you have an average-size hand. Buy a vintage 45 from Richard Binder or other reputable online vendor (they are better pens than the new ones, according to almost everyone). Comfortable pens, lightweight, designed for "school use" (or abuse), smooth writers, and the ink in Parker cartridges works on any paper.

If you have a bigger hand, you might go for a Sheaffer but make it one that takes cartridges. Others here are Sheaffer experts and can advise you as to which one is best.

These are low-cost pens. I figure you've spent your bankroll just getting through law school.

Good luck.

Edited by BillTheEditor

Well, you've heard this mantra before, but if it was an FP, I'd take in a snorkel and a bottle of ink. ;) You could take in 2 for about $80 total.

However, for practicality, I'd also consider HesNot's advice.

Edited by KendallJ

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

I thought about a 45 as well and it isn't a bad choice although I would stick with Noodlers permanent black - the essays in NC at least are graded by the person who wrote the question (yes, one person reads them all over the course of a week) and I don't want to risk a water spill obliterating half my answer. Also, in NC the essays are 6 in the morning and 6 in the afternoon - generally 30 minutes a pop. You have to write a lot and write fast, spotting as many issues as possible in a short time. I don't want to have to change cartridges, if a pen stops working, I want to throw it down and grab another as quickly as possible.

The more I think about it the more I'm inclined toward a G2 - which is universally admired (at least as far as rollerballs go). The NY bar may have different parameters, of course, which could change my opinion on this. I remember the pit in my stomach when I took the bar and the last thing I need is to worry about a pen not working 100% and quickly.

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

While I've been using FP's since the late 80's, I was not dumb enough to use one to take the bar exam. I believe I walked in with 4, .5mm pilot roller balls. You can write clearly with these, they're cheap enough to bring several, they write smoothly, and they write a fine enough line that your small a's, e's, o's, etc. will appear open and legible. You won't have enough time to be fancy, let alone to even THINK about your pen(s). A ballpoint will make your hand ache after awhile, and you will be thinking about it, then. PLEASE just get 3-4 fine rollers balls (and best of luck to you).

And for the record, like offbase, I took 5 Pilot Precise V5 black rollerballs with me when I sat for the bar (no G2s back in those days!).

Good luck! And as if you need any more incentive, make yourself a deal that you'll buy a nice "51" (ok, or a snorkel ;) ) when you get the letter saying that you passed! :D

Edited by HesNot

I would stick with Noodlers permanent black - I don't want to risk a water spill obliterating half my answer. Also, in NC the essays are 6 in the morning and 6 in the afternoon - generally 30 minutes a pop. You have to write a lot and write fast, spotting as many issues as possible in a short time. I don't want to have to change cartridges, if a pen stops working, I want to throw it down and grab another as quickly as possible.

Good point about the waterproof thing. I was thinking cartridges because taking a bottle of ink into an exam seems to me to be asking for trouble. Also because it takes too long to reload from a bottle, under exam conditions.

I'd also say, on the break between sessions, take out the cartridge that is in the pen and put a new one in. A cartridge will easily last for 30 minutes of writing (longer if he has a fine nib instead of a medium), and they are cheap enough to throw away a half-empty one with no regrets.

My response was based on seeing "fountain pen" instead of just "pen." (A peculiar form of dyslexia that only afflicts FPN freaks, I guess.) Under the circumstances, I too would likely go with a brace of throwaway rollerballs. Personally, I am glad that I am too old to change careers or to have to worry about bar exams.

MarcM001,

I'll add another vote to the cheap disposable pen category. There's too much stress involved in the exam as it is to add the quirks of fountain pens. I don't remember the rules regarding what you can bring into the exam (just that it had to fit in a gallon Ziploc bag) but there's also the chance that you get a proctor who gives you a problem with the bottle of ink or fist-full of cartridges you bring into the exam; I do remember that they are very strict. I'm also sure you're neighbor (you share a single table) won't appreciate ink being changed during the exam.

So, on that note, when I use disposable pens, I'm partial to the Pilot Precise Rolling Ball pens in extra fine, the Uni-Ball Vision in fine and Staedtlers in a 7 point. Find a good stationary store and test out a few. I know that Art Brown here in NY has a lot of disposable pens that you can test (i.e., not sealed in packages).

If you want a more "serious pen", I'd suggest a rollerball, with some disposables as a backup. I have a Lamy and Rotring rollerball that have very smooth cartridges. Again, Art Brown carries a lot that you can test.

When my wife and I took the NY bar in 2003, we made it into the computer pool, and, though it was easier typing the essays, it certainly added its own element of stress! CT didn't allow computers and, if I recall, I brought a mixture of the disposable pens I referenced above for variety, though, in the midst of it all, I wasn't too concerned about what pen to use!

Good luck!

Best,

Rich

Never mind my previous post.

Listen to people who've taken the thing.

I'd take a couple of Pelikan 800s, but that's just me. :)

Edited by Tara

"I am a teacher as well as a witch," said Miss Tick, adjusting her hat

carefully. "Therefore, I make lists. I make assessments. I write things

down in a neat firm hand with pens of two colors."

Miss Tick from

Terry Pratchett's

Wee Free Men

I would stick with Noodlers permanent black - I don't want to risk a water spill obliterating half my answer.  Also, in NC the essays are 6 in the morning and 6 in the afternoon - generally 30 minutes a pop.  You have to write a lot and write fast, spotting as many issues as possible in a short time.  I don't want to have to change cartridges, if a pen stops working, I want to throw it down and grab another as quickly as possible. 

Good point about the waterproof thing. I was thinking cartridges because taking a bottle of ink into an exam seems to me to be asking for trouble. Also because it takes too long to reload from a bottle, under exam conditions.

I'd also say, on the break between sessions, take out the cartridge that is in the pen and put a new one in. A cartridge will easily last for 30 minutes of writing (longer if he has a fine nib instead of a medium), and they are cheap enough to throw away a half-empty one with no regrets.

My response was based on seeing "fountain pen" instead of just "pen." (A peculiar form of dyslexia that only afflicts FPN freaks, I guess.) Under the circumstances, I too would likely go with a brace of throwaway rollerballs. Personally, I am glad that I am too old to change careers or to have to worry about bar exams.

At least you aren't afflicted with the "selective reading" skill which I have to deal with! :)

If our colleague is really committed to a fountain pen, I agree that a 45 is about as good a choice as there is, particularly one from Richard that you know is working as well as it can. And cartridges would be the better choice - does Quink still come in "permanent" black?

Buy a couple of Rotring Cores off ebay. They're dirt cheap and have excellent nibs. (Medium only, I think?)

Or a lot of people like the Wality 69L - this is $10-$15. Buy the piston filler not the eyedropper model (eyedropper pens are more likely to leak). Medium-fine nib on this one.

As already suggested, Noodler's black or Legal Lapis are VERY permanent inks, so a good choice for an exam - you wouldn't want a split cup of coffee to wipe your work away.

If you decide to spend real money, then try pens out in a store. Of modern brands, Sailor and Pelikan arguably have the highest reputation as writing machines. Try different nib thicknesses as well as pen bodies.

Finally think about a restored Esterbrook J pen brought off ebay. They can take a huge variety of nibs and you can get superb writer for $30. The 9550 nib is a great fine nib.

Whatever pen you buy, make sure it's comfortable for *you* to hold for long periods of time before the exam - the P51 for example is a great pen but I find it extremely uncomfortable to hold in my largish hand.

One fountain pen and cartridges or bottle of ink should be enough - carry a quality disposeable gel pen for backup. The Pilot G2 comes in different highly ergonomic body shapes including the excellent Alphagel, and the Pilot G-TEC C4 is the answer if you need a narrow nib. Both are great exam pens. They're perhaps $5 each, and ink and nib quality are excellent.

Good luck!

- Jonathan

How about a bunch of converter equipped Lamy Safaris or Al-Stars loaded with Noodler's black or Legal Lapis? You'll end up with a nice set of colorful fountain pens you can put in a display case in your law office. You can tell people, "These are what I took my bar exam with."

Good luck!

Doug

You could consider buying a couple of Pilot Vpens. These are extremely cheap and there's absolutely no way these will leak. They write like a dream. I'm not using them on a daily basis, but when I do they always amaze me...

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

- John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Pelikan M800 Green (18C-750 OM), Pelikan 4001 Königsblau

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 M), Diamine Monaco Red

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 F), Diamine Prussian Blue

The bunch o' rollerballs is the wise answer, but I'm partial to the idea of two or three Lamy Safaris, fine point for best legibility, loaded with Noodler's waterproof black. They will give you no more trouble than the rollerballs--they will not leak, they will not skip, they will not stutter.

I took all of my college exams including endless essay questions with a Vector, it worked beautifully.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

When I took the bar in Oklahoma it was all essay. We spent two days writing our answers. I took two pens in case there was a problem with one.

The primary pen was a Sheaffer Silver Imperial that I bought for the purpose several months before and had used regularly. The other was a Sterling Silver Parker 75 that I had for a couple of years.

Don't know how much writing is involved now with the multi-state but I would recommend that you write with the pens you intend to use so you don't think about the pen during the test.

Remember: This is the only Bar you have to pass. You can stop at all the others.

One ink to find them,

One ink to bring them all

One ink to rule them all,

and in the darkness bind them..

Many thanks for all your wisdom and encouragement. This forum is a real gem and one of the more civilized communites I've seen in a long while. I will certainly have a couple of Pilots with me in the exam, and think I will order the Safari to practice with and see how it fares.

Marc

In 1980, when I took the Ohio Bar Exam, I used my Sheaffer Targa fountain pen. It already proved itself as a reliable note taker during my third year of law school. We didn't have roller-ball pens, but I seem to remember having a cheap ballpoint for backup--perhaps a back-up-No-Nonsense fountain pen as well.

I think the important thing is to take something that you are used to, and find reliable. You shouldn't take along something that distracts at all from your thought process and the questions at hand. If when you start to write you admire the nice wet line your new pen is laying down on paper, you know something is wrong. The pen's function needs to be taken for granted.

I didn't have a problem with cartridges. It only takes a few seconds to change one, and during that time you can further organize your answer in your mind. Again, my absolute familiarity with my pen made that process automatic, and I had a real good feel about how many cartidges I needed.

Good luck. And let us know when we can welcome you into the profession.

When I took the Texas Bar in Feb. I used a Safari. Now, being a bit of a worrier I had about four extra pens with me, including a ballpoint (gift from a prof), two rollerballs, and my Pelikan Epoch.

I passed, so I'll probably never be without that Safari!

For the Pilots, I can't recommend the Alphagel too much - it takes the standard G2 refills, but it is even more comfortable - it's probably the most comfortable pen in the world. If I was going to write for two days under heavy stress and I could shake my ultra-fine nib addiction, then the Alphgel is what I'd use. And I say this as someone who collects Japanese rollerballs and gel pens! You'll probably have to order online - just google the brand and name. Don't make the mistake of getting the similarly named Uniball Alphagel - that's awful.

Oh, and G2 refills come in 3 sizes. The extra fines can occasionally be a little funny, (as well as hard to find) so if you go for these order spares so you can throw one away. The other sizes are rock solid. The ink used is water resistant, acid free and archival quality.

- Jonathan