More addictive than illegal drugs?

eddiefebuary

I've tried to curb my spending and haven't bought anything in quite some time, but man, the withdrawals hurt. :P A binge is pretty tempting right now. :D

(btw - Kendall, sweet picture!)

Vanessa

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kissing

• KendallJ

• playpen

• Tara

1. I'm spending money on very nice Fountain Pens that will do much more good for me than junk food and video games which is what i used to use my pocket money for.

2. Make studying fun (as a highschool student, this is very important). With writing itself as a pleasureable experience - this is a HUGE advantage.

3. My handwriting has become more liberatingly expressive with daring curves which i couldnt co-ordinate before from using ballpoints (Rollerballs did it to a little extent but not much). The springy nib on the Sonnet can make you go high :drool: ...

4. I'm uninterested in things such as drunken parties which a lot of people my age seem to waste time on as they have nothing better to do...

5. By today's standard's, it adds a lively statement to your personality. Emphasises diversity and your personal charm.

6. Getting to know more about fountain pens is a very interesting and fun experience. I am becoming more knowledgeable in areas that the Average Joe do not know about. A source of knowledge and its own kind of wisdom.

7. Also, fountain pens make you think more creatively (some artists and poets took heroin and opium to get creative thoughts, so Fountain pens do give drug-like effects :lol: )

8. Just like Solar energy, Wind energy and Hydroelectricity are "Renewable" sources of energy, compared to Ballpoints and Rollerballs, Fountain pens are "Renewable" writing instruments. Sure, ballpoints and rollerballs can be refilled, but it just aint the same as filling it with your own ink with your own hands. (A ballpen can only be as good as its refill as far as writing quality goes, but the diverse quality range of the Fountain pen can depend on the Nib, Ink and the writer's personal tastes :) )

There are many more reasons, but too many to type it all here in one go :lol:

Edited by kissing

This can be addicting.... four months into this I have purchased a number of pens.. For me the way I deal with it is by limiting what I "SHOULD" by. For example, I have decided to only collect Parkers (of knock-offs) with hooded or semi-hooded nibs. That means Parker 45 for everyday writing, and Heroes. And another rule is under $50 for a new pen (except the 51SE which is a pen I really want some day), and $100 for vintage 51's. I allow myself $100 a month to get them. I also find that collecting ads which are much cheaper allow me to appreciate their history.

I bought my first fountain pen 10 years ago. It was a Waterman Man 100 in black resin and gold trimmings. I loved it and wrote with it for many years, but never thought to buy another fountain pen.

Recently, I decided to splurge on a Montegrappa, but that broke (poor construction) and I replaced it with a Delta Dolcevita OS. Man, that hooked me. Very quickly thereafter, I bought another pen, this time a Sailor 1911 with a King Eagle nib. I am now officially a fountain pen addict, and a happy one! :)

I have never heard such RUBBISH in my life :angry:

I'm not an addict.

I only have a few hundred pens.

I could stop any time I liked.

Maybe next week.

Must go - there's an old lady going down the road just asking to be mugged - I NEED ANOTHER "51" and a Presidential and a T1.......

Edited by Ruaidhri

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

As I told a co-worker at work last week who was heavily addicted to FP's,but in the last 6 months has been trying to stop cold turkey.... C'mon... just one drink... it will be okay....

She has started to give away some of her purchases over the last several years, and I received a few vintage inks from her..... I am trying to get her back in the fold...

I'm having to give up horses due to my ever increasing allergies, so pens are my new indoor addiction.

Tara, you should try dogs instead of horses. They won't kill you if they fall on top of you. Unfortunately, they won't cure your pen addiction either.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/justiniano/Moxie-n-Dallas.jpg

That is an adorable picture! Thanks for sharing it.

Laura

Really can't have dogs.

Can barely have cats.

I'm being forced to stay indoors.

My pens and my computer are my new friends. . . :drool:

I need to move somewhere I can breathe.

I'm looking at Northern New Mexico and Arizona. Hopefully, it will quit being on fire soon. :/

I can't do smoke either.

"I am a teacher as well as a witch," said Miss Tick, adjusting her hat

carefully. "Therefore, I make lists. I make assessments. I write things

down in a neat firm hand with pens of two colors."

Miss Tick from

Terry Pratchett's

Wee Free Men

Well, poodles are hypoallergenic (or at least more so)... Howzat?

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Tara, be very careful about that region of the country. I have a friend who lives in New Mexico and all I hear about every spring and summer is fire, fire, fire! If it's not near her, it's near enough for her to smell it. She is constantly worried about being in a burn zone. A friend of hers almost had his house swallowed by a HUGE sinkhole. That's when we found out that lots of areas of N.M. and who knows how many other states are undercut by aquifers and their accompanying sinkholes when the water tables drop. Be careful and research the area you are going to move to.

Why not come to N.Y. land of pen stores?

Edited by playpen

I have never heard such RUBBISH  in my life  :angry:

I'm not an addict.

I only have a few hundred pens.

I could stop any time I liked.

Maybe next week.

Must go - there's an old lady going down the road just asking to be mugged - I NEED ANOTHER "51" and a Presidential  and a T1.......

:ltcapd:

You need professional help!

Don't we all?

I KNOW I do... ;)

Edited by HyperCamper

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

- John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Pelikan M800 Green (18C-750 OM), Pelikan 4001 Königsblau

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 M), Diamine Monaco Red

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 F), Diamine Prussian Blue