Private Reserve Ebony Blue

woodworker

You can read this review also on my blog Inkyjournal with bigger pictures.

I got this nice bottle from Art Brown International Pen Shop. They have a lot of ink en pens. The order came quickly trough international mail. Great service guys!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3432/3785248979_a094ae1c62_m.jpg

I was really surprised by this color Ebony Blue of Private Reserve. It is not blue, it is green-blue. And I love it! It can be an all day color to use, even for business people. I tested it on my Moleskine Journal book in a Lamy 2000.

Written review:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3426/3785248597_47911cab11.jpg

If you can't read my writing here is the translation:

"Thursday, august 6, 2009

Lamy 2000 (fine nib) filled with Private Reserve Ebony Blue.

Even though the Lamy 2000 is a wet-writer, this ink does not bleed trough the Moleskine paper (only some tiny dots).

It is a nice blue-green color. When the ink is dry it has a nice shading from green to blue.

The ink dries slow, after almost 40 seconds the ink is still a little wet. The color can really be used for business-people because it is not to shiny.

I think I'm gonna leave it a while in this Lamy 2000.

Woodworker"

Reddish-glow?

I just took the pictures for this review. I noticed a reddish-glow in the ink wich is hard to see by the eye. But if you keep the page in the light you can see it. I noticed this glow also in Private Reserve American DC Blue. Is this a trademark for Private Reserve?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3442/3786070092_dbb737c713_m.jpg

Moleskinefriendly:

I give this ink a thumbs up for Moleskine-friendly ink. You can use the other site of the page without making a mess of it. I like the greenish-blue color with the creamy pages of the Moleskine paper. I leave this ink some time in this Lamy 2000 fountainpen.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2449/3785248325_6b7f4f7bc1_m.jpg

Just buy this ink if you want to use it in the beautiful Moleskine notebooks.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• GreenVelvet

• WendyNC

• ZeissIkon

I agree that this is an interesting ink. Though it is (like you said) a blue-green, there is a quality to it that reminds me of the shimmer in lame' fabric (ti's not a muted blue-black, like Waterman's or Pelikan). And, yep, I too can see the "red ghost" when I use the ink. I don't know if the color will appeal to strict traditionalists, but it's an interesting ink to add to most people's ink chest.

By the way, that's a great photo of the open bottle. It really captures the color of the ink.

Dave

Edited by Dave Johannsen

Oh wow! Thank you for this. I'd held off trying it thinking it would just be another dark blue. That blue-green shade is GORGEOUS!

If it's a blue green, how would you say it compares to "Blue Suede," which is my favorite ink? It's also a blue green...

skyppere

Edited by Skyppere

My personal preference jury is still out on this ink, but I'm thinking I need to try it in a wider nib. If I were naming it, I'd be inclined to call it PR Ebony Teal.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

From what I can make out on my PC it reminds me of the Noddlers Navy I have, which I really like even though I was not looking for a greeny-blue.

If it's a blue green, how would you say it compares to "Blue Suede," which is my favorite ink? It's also a blue green...

I love PR Blue Suede, too. Ebony Blue is much darker - in low light, can be mistaken for black. Blue Suede is "brighter" and almost more turquoise.

Reddish-glow?

I just took the pictures for this review. I noticed a reddish-glow in the ink wich is hard to see by the eye. But if you keep the page in the light you can see it. I noticed this glow also in Private Reserve American DC Blue. Is this a trademark for Private Reserve?

If you like that reddish glow, you can get more of it in Private Reserve Electric DC Blue, Levenger Cobalt, and Diamine Majestic Blue.

Reddish-glow?

If you like that reddish glow, you can get more of it in Private Reserve Electric DC Blue, Levenger Cobalt, and Diamine Majestic Blue.

Aha--I think I'm seeing a pattern here for myself. Although I'm not that big a fan of blue ink, I like Diamine Majestic Blue and PR Electric DC Blue. Clearly I'm going to have to give Ebony Blue another try.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

I've seen a metallic reddish glow/overlay on Diamine Majestic Blue. I tried so hard to get my hands on a bottle at the recent DC Fountain Pen Show, but kept missing the boat.

I think I have a bottle of the PR Ebony Blue, so maybe I can get my fix this way.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png When one is too old for love, one finds great comfort in good dinners. Zora Neale Hurston

From what I can make out on my PC it reminds me of the Noddlers Navy I have, which I really like even though I was not looking for a greeny-blue.

it is indeed quite close to Navy, although the Navy I believe is a lot more water=resistant than the PR color. So if water resistance is a factor, may want to consider the Navy

Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL

I've been using Ebony Blue in a variety of pens for about three months. The color varies with the light, the wetness of the line, the paper -- and then it almost doesn't vary if I invert the bottle a couple times before I fill the pens, but it starts to show green again in one very fat B nib. Magical color changing ink, and the best part is, I like it in all its incarnations... :thumbup:

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

My personal preference jury is still out on this ink, but I'm thinking I need to try it in a wider nib. If I were naming it, I'd be inclined to call it PR Ebony Teal.

I was just about to say the exact same that it should be renamed Ebony Teal. I love this ink and it occupies pride of place in one of my three go to writers, a binderised snorkel. For those who want 'smack in the face' colour it's probably too dark, but I tend to prefer inks that hover around blacks and blues but with something a bit more interesting and complex about them on closer inspection. I would be interested to see though what happens in a wider nib whether it's even darker and some of the complexity is lost, i use it in a fine nibbed pen.

I was just about to say the exact same that it should be renamed Ebony Teal. I love this ink and it occupies pride of place in one of my three go to writers, a binderised snorkel. For those who want 'smack in the face' colour it's probably too dark, but I tend to prefer inks that hover around blacks and blues but with something a bit more interesting and complex about them on closer inspection. I would be interested to see though what happens in a wider nib whether it's even darker and some of the complexity is lost, i use it in a fine nibbed pen.

I've got Ebony Blue inked in my Gui Guan 20, which I recently reground to a fairly broad (more than 1 mm) cursive italic. The shading that I get when writing with this nib seems to emphasize the green tones in this ink; my experience is it's bluer in a wet line, greener in a dry one (as witness one of my Hero 70s, a very wet writer, also with Ebony blue, where it shows a very blue color), and greener on paper where it spreads, bluer where it sits where it was laid (these two are probably related -- the denser the dye on the paper, the bluer it looks).

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

I tried Ebony Blue at the ink table at the DC pen show with a fine-writing dip pen and really liked it. I'm usually not a blue-green (teal/turquoise) person but I think the darker hue of this really appeals. This reminds me a lot of my bottel of Noodler's Tahitian Pearl, in fact, which I sometimes use in the office to pass for black ink. Ebony Blue takes less time to dry though, which sounds good to me.

Looking for an Omas Arco Verde...the one that got away.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice review!! ohhhh blue-green,those are my favorite colors :P

they really match,and that lamy 2000 is the perfect companion...

CPSC

I just bought Ebony Green, Blue, and Purple. I first tried EB, and was sure they put EG in the EB bottle. Strikingly more green than blue...but I also like it. the EG is dark and luscious...and EP is also breathtaking.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.