What's your favourite Manbag?

tim atherton

If you don't need to carry a lot of stuff, I highly recommend a briefolio. I've been using mine for a few months now, and LOVE it! Compared to a regular brief bag, it's very light, yet there is the nice characteristics and wear of leather.

Any links to where one could purchase this?

Edit: I'm guessing it's a Levenger briefolio leather portfolio?

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Category=322-521|Level=2-3|pageid=4630

You are correct. If you want to save some money, the bomber jacket briefolio is also very nice. I've seen it, and I bet scratches won't be as obvious on its pebble finish. I haven't seen the black version. I would add that the briefolio holds quite a bit and it feels very good clutched in one's hand.

I was thinking about the bomber jacket briefolio, but Levenger is having a 30% off sale at the moment, so I might just splurge and give myself another new years/end of semester gift :). I also love how it looks in your picture and I have enough black folios.

Hello.

If you're not in a hurry, you can surf the L^venger "Outlet" on EBay - I picked one of their messenger bags at 70% off of the retail price..

Do you have a link to that? Searching eBay for Levenger Outlet or even the specific bags did not work to find the outlet store.

Thanks

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dapv

• AlecG

• inkypete

• trent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rickshaw bags Zero Messenger bag in "performance tweed"

I have the same fabric in the Commuter 2 messenger bag. I really like that one because of the pen loops. You just can't find a lot of bags that have big pen loops!

A couple of years ago I went to a luggage shop and picked, of all things, a Rick Steves' labeled bag. The current version is http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=8&id=217 It's a great lightweight bag that I've taken day-in day-out and on many trips.

I've also got a new model Rickshaw messenger bag and may shift to it for more daily use. But dang, that Rick Steves' bag is light and very useful.

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

What a neat thread.

I travel quite a bit via Harley-Davidson and use a Filson 232 field bag for basic carry (gets lashed on the passenger seat and then goes with me) and then this year got the smaller 230 field bag which stays tied to the bike's sissy bar.

The 232 has had a lot of abuse and still doing fine. While I really do like all-leather bags, they tend to age pretty fast out in the weather. The Filson has been a good compromise for my uses.

I just ended up picking up a new bag.

It's this one here:http://www.chromebagsstore.com/bags/messenger-bags/mini-metro-buckle-bag---small.html

I have the large version but the small one is nice for everyday use.

It's built strong and nice and water proof. On a hot day I can throw a 12 pack and ice in there and it won't leak out so it's a plus.

Happy writing,

Basilios

A couple of years ago I went to a luggage shop and picked, of all things, a Rick Steves' labeled bag. The current version is http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=8&id=217 It's a great lightweight bag that I've taken day-in day-out and on many trips.

I've also got a new model Rickshaw messenger bag and may shift to it for more daily use. But dang, that Rick Steves' bag is light and very useful.

Is this big enough to hold a thin laptop?

I gave in and finally got myself a manbag as I was tired of walking around with my coat pockets full of misc. items. (never mind forgetting some of the stuff when I would change jackets!). It's a khaki Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack. Just starting to figure out how and where I'm going to set-up my gear in it and the thing looks like it won't have any problems surviving my use and abuse! I'll post a photo later today.

François (Frank) P.

Currently inked: Parker 51/Quink Blue-Black; TWSBI 580 1.1mm/Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses.

Thanks to this discussion I was able to find the bag I was looking for for some time now (http://www.grafea.co.uk/shop/Leather_Briefcase_For_Men.html). Ordered on Monday, it arrived on Thursday and completely fulfills my Spartan needs and performance expectations: low maintenance, weatherproof, can stand unsupported and fits in my bicycle saddlebags. The only thing I may have to improve is the shoulder pad but I have a couple of pads from the past that will do. So, many thanks to all who contributed opinions, experiences and links.

I have too many to list, it is just easier to post a link to my flickr set and even that needs updating: Bags and Cases

I tend to use my Maxpedition Fatboy Type S a lot. The Fossil Leather bag comes in a close second but my newest addition, the STM Scout Netbook bag, is going to start getting a lot of use.

I have too many to list, it is just easier to post a link to my flickr set and even that needs updating: Bags and Cases

I tend to use my Maxpedition Fatboy Type S a lot. The Fossil Leather bag comes in a close second but my newest addition, the STM Scout Netbook bag, is going to start getting a lot of use.

Amazing! Thank you for sharing. I see several that I need now. :-) At last count I have 6 that I use and a couple I've given to my kids.

Take care,

Tim Verpoorten (Surfbits)

http://www.surfbits.com : Blog

http://www.macreviewcast.com : Podcast

Awesome collection - wow.

And: I've got the same "Goldies" Bag for my Sony MZ-R70 and mini-discs!!

The stereo mic doesn't fit as easily, though...

Dude - Your "Slideshow" is a "What's What" for any FPNer who might be interested in a bag!!

I'm liking your "BDU Wallet" - Where did you get that?

If you don't need to carry a lot of stuff, I highly recommend a briefolio. I've been using mine for a few months now, and LOVE it! Compared to a regular brief bag, it's very light, yet there is the nice characteristics and wear of leather.

Any links to where one could purchase this?

Edit: I'm guessing it's a Levenger briefolio leather portfolio?

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Category=322-521|Level=2-3|pageid=4630

You are correct. If you want to save some money, the bomber jacket briefolio is also very nice. I've seen it, and I bet scratches won't be as obvious on its pebble finish. I haven't seen the black version. I would add that the briefolio holds quite a bit and it feels very good clutched in one's hand.

I was thinking about the bomber jacket briefolio, but Levenger is having a 30% off sale at the moment, so I might just splurge and give myself another new years/end of semester gift :). I also love how it looks in your picture and I have enough black folios.

Hello.

If you're not in a hurry, you can surf the L^venger "Outlet" on EBay - I picked one of their messenger bags at 70% off of the retail price..

Do you have a link to that? Searching eBay for Levenger Outlet or even the specific bags did not work to find the outlet store.

Thanks

Hello -

Try this link:

http://stores.ebay.com/levenger-outlet?_rdc=1

@ surfbits: Thank you. :)

@ DavidHandmade: Thank you! A fellow MD'er! :notworthy1: I purchased the BDU wallet on eBay but I have seen them at Countycomm.com and there is also a Maxpedition version. All of them have a slightly different inside configuration. Mine is made by Condor.

Hi all,

I've been obsessing about what I could throw my book and a notebook in, and that would look ok without having implications of thwarted ambitions to climb Mount Everest (all too real, believe me).

I've settled on two sizes of the Belstaff Colonial Bag. The smaller one is a hit - not available at J.Crew, but on the web - because it miraculously doesn't look fey despite being about the size of a manbag. The bigger one fits a lot of extra stuff and has been widely publicized - it still seems to be going strong, but the trend in New York is towards black rather than the Safari colors:

http://www.belstaff.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=fw1011/fw1011_bag_a_flypage&product_id=2894&category_id=904&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=547

http://www.belstaff.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=fw1011/fw1011_bag_a_flypage&product_id=2892&category_id=904&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=547

I also have a smaller version of the New York Postman Bag available at J.Crew, which will fit two books, a journal, and a pen - maybe it's not made anymore, I can't find it on the web and bought mine on sale, so maybe they were closing out the line. I feel a little self-conscious wearing it, because it looks a little like the old Coach handbags. In Italy, men don't seem to have that anxiety, or flaunt it, and it seemed perfect there...

On a last note, in Paris in a Cafe I saw this leather schoolbag; the guy that had it had put the following items in it, and I've romanticized the bag ever since: The first volume of A la recherche du temps perdue; a video camera; and an iPod. It seemed the perfect combination...

But what pen would go with that?

Edited by Calabria

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

KarzyIvan: I'm humbled, and thankful.

Humbled by your collection, and slideshow. notworthy1.gif

Thankful for your sharing, and because now I can say to my my wife "see ... I'm not the only one". clap1.gif

I'm definitely getting one of those BDU wallets.

Lastly, I'm curious about your EDC Tool Kit, what do you have in it?

Thanks again, and oh, BTW, have you seen one of these Urban Wallets; check it out: http://www.edcknives.com/vcom/product_info.php?products_id=2275

thumbup.gif

CFTPM

Calabria: The Belstaff large New York postman bag at J.Crew looks great, but at $795, it seems perhaps a tad rustic.

CFTPM

I had THE 556 and it wasn't that big. But I wouldn't take the safari colors again. And mine had magnetic buttons behind the buckles. And I really didn't like that!

Cacoethes scribendi