• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dapv

• AlecG

• inkypete

• trent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm using this Roots Bag, which I found thanks to this thread. :)

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aacg_prd/on/demandware.static/Sites-RootsCA-Site/Sites-roots_master_catalog/default/v1264203437056/customers/c972/18018982/generated/18018982_0100_a_475x475.jpg

I am very happy with mine. I just got it for my birthday. The front zipper pocket fits a No 12 Dot Pad perfectly.

In Ottawa? Check out The Ottawa Pen Posse

If you don't need to carry a lot of stuff, I highly recommend a briefolio. I've been using mine for a few months now, and LOVE it! Compared to a regular brief bag, it's very light, yet there is the nice characteristics and wear of leather.

Any links to where one could purchase this?

Edit: I'm guessing it's a Levenger briefolio leather portfolio?

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Category=322-521|Level=2-3|pageid=4630

You are correct. If you want to save some money, the bomber jacket briefolio is also very nice. I've seen it, and I bet scratches won't be as obvious on its pebble finish. I haven't seen the black version. I would add that the briefolio holds quite a bit and it feels very good clutched in one's hand.

I was thinking about the bomber jacket briefolio, but Levenger is having a 30% off sale at the moment, so I might just splurge and give myself another new years/end of semester gift :). I also love how it looks in your picture and I have enough black folios.

Hello.

If you're not in a hurry, you can surf the L^venger "Outlet" on EBay - I picked one of their messenger bags at 70% off of the retail price..

I recently received the medium satchel from Saddleback leather and love it.

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/categories/97-Satchels-Medium/products/2031-Leather-Satchel-Medium-iPad-Chestnut

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded how much he had learned in the last seven years.

--Mark Twain

Axio Hard Pack.

I'm very rough with my things, so I got this bag to protect my laptop, droid phone, and precious books and pens. It works well. Its made for people who ride motorcycles - if they crash, I guess this thing is supposed to save their backsides and their stuff. Works for my needs.

http://www.popgadget.net/images/axiofusehardpack.jpg

If, I were to go hiking or wanted a softer "man bag", I would go with the UTG Tactical Sling Bag:

http://www.emergencymatters.com/images/accessories/leapers/leapers_UTG_messenger_bag_details-em.jpg http://www.bladehq.com/images/accessories/leapers/leapers_UTG_messenger_bag_green.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Multi-Functional-Tactical-Messenger-Digital/dp/B002BJJ4FK/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1293268416&sr=1-3

I recently received the medium satchel from Saddleback leather and love it.

http://www.saddlebac...m-iPad-Chestnut

That one is very nice! I have this one, similar coming in, although mine is in chestnut color:

Edited by Adrian Collins

MB 149 YWC, MB Doue BP, Parker Sterling Silver Cisele BP & RB

someone here. Jimothy? recently posted a great looking leather bag..

not a huge bag, but very solid apperance.. imho might work very well for anyone.

ps unrelated to this thread

:blush: duh..:doh: it's Halden see above :D

Edited by pen2paper

The Timbuk2 messenger bag is a great little bag. Just enough room to haul pens, cell phone, papers and a small book to work, but not so much that you start accumulating junk that you have to clean out once every 6 weeks. Perfect!

My current favourite is my Maxpedition Larkspur messenger bag (http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/LARKSPUR-MESSENGER-BAG-Small-13p1240.htm) when I need something larger, or my Maxpedition Colossus Versipack (http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/COLOSSUS-VERSIPACK-4p379.htm) for smaller.

Those Saddleback Leather satchels look lovely though! puddle.gif

Magnificent Satchel!

That ought to be the name of a western.

(And thanks: it's a great little bag.)

Indeed! :ltcapd:

"The rights of man come not from the generosity of the state, but from the hand of God."

-- President John F. Kennedy, Jan. 20, 1961

"As government expands, liberty contracts."

--President Ronald Reagan--Farewell Address to the Nation Oval Office, January 11, 1989

Those Saddleback Leather satchels look lovely though! puddle.gif

I've had a saddleback. But it's not my bag. It's heavy, which I don't mind that much, but when carrying it, it feels like it's twice as heavy. The leather is very thick, but it's too much to be pretty. The secret compartment is a joke, and not a funny one. The whole bag was a bit warped, caused by some wrinkling in the leather. The stiching on my bag was uneven but I have seen pictures if better bags, I had quite some glue visible on the inside of the bag and the nickel/chrome plated hardware started to chip after just a week / 10 days of use.

As I said it wasn't my bag, so I changed to a Westminster wrap ss from swaine adeney & Briggs. But that one is price wise miles away from the saddleback. It uses the best bridle leather I've ever seen, is made entirely by hand and is flawless. This is not my only bag, but it's the bag I use most and like most. I had it now for some months and it starts to break in a bit. It's a bag that could last through decades of daily use. But in full honesty, so could the saddleback probably to. And that one only costs a quarter of the Westminster Wrap Ss

Cacoethes scribendi

Re: SAB compared to Saddleback ... lticaptd.gif

Who would not like and most likely prefer a SAB? C'mon now show of hands ...

Okay, if I were to say money aside ... c'mon now show of hands ... you know you want one ...

All kidding aside [and, yes, a bit of envy], congrats on finding the item you most like and use. It's a very cool thing when a watch, pen, bag, boots, pocket knife, gardening tool, what-have-you, become a comfortable and useful object. I have found my most treasured and enduring objects such as the aforementioned become special to me when I actually begin to forget about their initial appeal and subconsciously regard them as a mere part of my everyday life. Then, one day while traveling the long and winding road, I look at the trusty tool that's always been there, ready, willing, and able to perform, and it takes on a whole new luster, an emotional patina of sorts.

Anyway ... it's a glorious New Year ... 50 degrees in Boston, clear azure sky, the snow just right for building a snow man, and as a wise man once said "with all thy getting, get understanding". Good health and happiness to all.

CFTPM

It's bit a Unfair comparison, but my poInt was that the Saddleback did disapoint me and that was before I even knew SAB existed.

I like your emotional patina! I seem to develop a lot of that. On my fountainpen, paper, notebooks but boots are a big one as well.

Emotional patina. Hmmm. I often develop that for stuff that does develop a nice patina.

Cacoethes scribendi

Still a Billingham user myself, but just saw these because their camera bags were pointed out to me:

http://www.grafea.co.uk/shop/Leather_Satchels.html

Pilot Capless Black Carbonesque - Pelikan M800 Demonstrator - Pelikan M625 blue -
Montblanc 146 platinum - Rotring 600 series 1 - Lamy Persona black - Lamy 2000 -
Waterman Edson green - Chatterley Visconti Ripple silver/clear - Visconti Homo Sapiens -
Pilot Custom 823 black - Pilot Art Craft Koushi - Nakaya Piccolo Cigar Akatame
Nakaya Portable Writer matte black urushi - Nakaya Titanium Piccolo -

Namiki Emperor red urushi
Pen photos

No question!! I have gone through dozens over the past 17 years and last year I finally found the perfect bag(s). It began when our 3rd child was born and I was elected to be the stay at home dad. (domestic engineer was my preferred title back then) It began as a catch all for everything a parent of 3 young kids would need throughout the day. It is now a bag for daily use to keep my wallet, keys, medical needs for disability issues, and mostly my writing needs. My everyday bag is an 8 x10x3 inch camel leather bag with 2 main compartments and a couple of zippered areas. I also have a larger 10x12x4 inch bag for serious writing need or travel. I get more compliments and requests for where to get the bags than I have with any other bag over the past 17 plus years. My kids used to call it my "murse" but now it is known as the "mag". I found it on the internet through a great guy named Matt Murray with a company called Far Horizons Traders. (farhorizontraders.com) Check out the website to find any size and shape imaginable from messenger bags and briefcases to luggage. He also has bags of water buffalo that are thick leather and heavy. He custom made a couple for me and you should find them to be very reasonably price. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Yes, Billingham Packington for when I have a lot to carry but a Brady Ariel (large) for when I have less to carry (camera, binoculars, notebook, pen, phone, hip flask, map).

Chris

Lowepro Compudaypack for me. In grey and black, soon to buy a Hazard 4 Tonto Mini Messenger though.

I've gotten myself another M-51 Engineer's Field Satchel/Map Case/whatever you want to call it. It's great - better than the old one, in fact, having a few pulls where the other was just bare zipper and feeling much better constructed in general. It's stiff, but that's how I prefer it; pliable cloth or leather makes me feel a lot more sore after walking around with it for a while.

Not quite a bag, but might as well be is what I'm hoping to get soon: the SeV Travel Vest. I've been following this brand and product since its inception, and I am crazy about the vest. I don't know why, but it strikes my geeky bits just right.

ETA: No affiliation with the producers of the M-51 or Scottevest.

Edited by Aeltar

Kate Spade (favorite designer) meets The Strand bookshop. WIN! (It came with a darling boxed set of short stories that were a collaboration between the two companies.)

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt269/stubbornsnails/Kate%20Spade/kate-spade-strand-canvas-tote.jpg

Simple, light, and holds a laptop, power cable, Moleskine, and a magazine.

The iPhone, Nook, multitool, inflatable raft, and jackstands go in my purse. :lol:

Edited by meghan