What's your favourite Manbag?

tim atherton

Look at classic luggage for papworths they are the machine stitched version, but offer fewer models, Colors and no modifications. D&H I have never seen so I can't comment on them.

The price of SAB was extreme for me, took well over a year, but I think it was worth it after all.

Cacoethes scribendi

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dapv

• AlecG

• inkypete

• trent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Look at classic luggage for papworths they are the machine stitched version, but offer fewer models, Colors and no modifications. D&H I have never seen so I can't comment on them.

The price of SAB was extreme for me, took well over a year, but I think it was worth it after all.

Interesting...if you follow This Link and scroll all the way down to product No. 17A you'll see that its the Westminster but machine stitched and from SAB. But I will look into Papworth.

Interesting...if you follow This Link and scroll all the way down to product No. 17A you'll see that its the Westminster but machine stitched and from SAB. But I will look into Papworth.

Papworth is owned by SAB and I think that they sell their machine made under the papworth name. But it is made in the same shop in Cambridge with the same leathers as SAB. I assume the difference is in the linen thread as well iirc. The linen isn't regular enough to be used on machines, but I'm not sure, that could also be the case with some handmade shoes.

And there are some minor differences in the design.

Do you need a shoulder strap?

Edited by alecgold

Cacoethes scribendi

Papworth is owned by SAB and I think that they sell their machine made under the papworth name. But it is made in the same shop in Cambridge with the same leathers as SAB. I assume the difference is in the linen thread as well iirc. The linen isn't regular enough to be used on machines, but I'm not sure, that could also be the case with some handmade shoes.

And there are some minor differences in the design.

Do you need a shoulder strap?

A shoulder strap isn't necessary but it would be nice to have. I too have noticed the minor differences, but they are slight. Papworth's range is nice, with some good alternatives. D&H has one almost identical to the SAB from Classic Luggage.

Now, don't laugh, gentlemen, but do any of you use the white and green book bag from Barnes and Noble? It is very spacious, with lots of pockets and pen loops. But I cannot decide if it is too feminine. Also, it does not have a shoulder strap and the main compartment does not zip closed.

I had this one made about 25 years ago. It's still a great saddle bag.

What else do we have in life if not to help each other?

It certainly held up well over that period of time! Is it lightweight or a more sturdier grade of leather?

It certainly held up well over that period of time! Is it lightweight or a more sturdier grade of leather?

It is a heavy leather. The only thin parts are the piping around the edge of the flap. You can see that has begun to deteriorate at the center of the flap. The rest of it though should last beyond my life time, and if I had any kids, theirs, too.

Thanks to you and dapv for your compliments!

Edited by dnb

What else do we have in life if not to help each other?

If you don't need to carry a lot of stuff, I highly recommend a briefolio. I've been using mine for a few months now, and LOVE it! Compared to a regular brief bag, it's very light, yet there is the nice characteristics and wear of leather.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/OFFICE/IMG_0452.jpg

You should not have told me about the Military bags.. look what I found and ordered last night now.. :-)

European Shoulder Bag

Israeli Paratrooper Shoulder Bag

Great prices too..

Funny story ... My father has the Israeli bag, from years ago when it was carried in the Banana Republic catalogue. I just ordered one in black from another site that would ship to Canada for a reasonable price (which is a big deal. I'm not willing to pay more than the bag's worth to get it shipped to me.) Partially because, although I love my Timbuk2 laptop messenger bag, I need a lighter bag for when I don't want to carry lots and lots of stuff, or want to leave my laptop in the rez, etc. The bullet loops are a good touch, too, from what I remember, for carrying pens. The last time I saw one of those bags in person was 4 months ago, getting ready to head off to college.

Never become complacent.

I use a heavy canvass "M-51 Engineer's Bag" I picked up from Amazon for under $40. It holds a bunch of pens, several pockets for notebooks, Bibles, witnessing/evangelizing materials, flashlight, knife, compass, and various other sundries. I rarely ever leave home without it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41vLNE3oCLL.jpg

I have also been looking at a leather satchel from Saddleback Leather that I have to confess I have been coveting... haha

this year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practice ourselves the kind of behavior we expect from other people.

~ C.S. Lewis

Now, don't laugh, gentlemen, but do any of you use the white and green book bag from Barnes and Noble? It is very spacious, with lots of pockets and pen loops. But I cannot decide if it is too feminine. Also, it does not have a shoulder strap and the main compartment does not zip closed.

My wife LOVES that bag and I am probably going to get it, filled with a few books for her, for Christmas.

:)

this year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practice ourselves the kind of behavior we expect from other people.

~ C.S. Lewis

I ordered this one as my Christmas present to myself :thumbup:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/adriancol/001A01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/adriancol/001A06.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/adriancol/001A07.jpg

Edited by Adrian Collins

MB 149 YWC, MB Doue BP, Parker Sterling Silver Cisele BP & RB

Also the M-51 Engineeres bag....

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2274/2298891471_9f641e7ca4_m.jpghttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3005/2298889497_a55aec567a_m.jpg

Serious room and durability for under $40.

I have one for Scouting, One I use everyday, one as a 'Go Bag' for my wife and one in each car as an emergency bag.

Throw a little 3m waterproofing on the exterior and it is the best bag money can buy.

A gentleman is one who puts more into the world than he takes out.

http://clipart.usscouts.org/library/BSA_Character_Counts/thumbnails/cub_scouts_char_counts_co.giffpn_1364474496__woundedwarriorlogo03.jpg

I ordered this one as my Christmas present to myself :thumbup:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/adriancol/001A01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/adriancol/001A06.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/adriancol/001A07.jpg

Nice! :thumbup: Where did you order it from? Any chance you would share a link?

Looking for an Omas Arco Verde...the one that got away.