An older variation of the Boheme....

greencobra

I understand the Boheme model that retailed before the current model, and they could have overlapped at one point in the marketplace, was a larger size.

-Is that true?

-Can anyone provide dimensions? Of the older model, I have the specs of the current model.

-They both have retractable nibs? I heard, maybe incorrectly, that there was a Boheme model that wasn't retractable.

-Do the caps actually screw over the nib end on the body of both large and small variations? Provided there are two. Or at one

time was it permanent at the end of the pen and part of the screw mechanism?

The only pen shop close to my area is a Paradise Pen in the local mall. They, for some reason, have stopped selling the fountain pen version of the series so I couldn't handle one. If there is a larger Boheme I'm going to activly start to look for one.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• greencobra

• Darius

• Michael R.

• Ghost Plane

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 3 versions of the Boheme, size-wise. You can see a picture of the 3 together by Michael R on this thread.

The Boheme line started off as 2 pens, the Noir et Noir and Rouge et Noir (not to be confused with the safety pen). These 2 pens were very similar to the current Bohemes with retractable nibs in size and construction. For trademark reasons MB had to withdraw unsold pens from the market. Then the line was re-introduced as the Boheme with slight design modifications. The BP's and RB's have remained the same. The FP's however have the different sized versions. I am not sure which was introduced first, but the fixed nib and retractable nib versions were available at the same time at some stage, until the fixed nib version was discontinued. I know many of us refer to the retractable nib version as the "small" Boheme and the fixed nib version the "medium" Boheme, but these are basically the same size, except that the cap of the fixed nib version was longer to accommedate the nib. When these 2 are uncapped and unposted with the nib of the retractable one extended, they appear almost identical. Both have threads for posting the cap.

The large Boheme is a big pen. It's girth is somewhere between the 146 and 149. When posted and nib extended, it's longer than the 149. It's nib is also between that of the 146 and 149 in size. It only came in black resin and platinum trim without a stone. It's discontinued, but I'm not sure when.

Now my favourite part, LE with the Boheme mechanism. From the POA series, the Friedrich II the Great, both 4810 and 888 versions, are based on the small Boheme with retractable nibs. The Sir Henry Tate, both versions, are based on the large Boheme with retractable nibs. From the 100th Anniversary editions there are 3 lines of Bohemes, the Skeleton editions of 3, the solid gold editions of 100, and the resin/platinum plated edition of 1906. Other LE based on the Boheme are 3 series released in 2003: the 4 Seasons, 4 Elements, and American Fireworks, limited to 5 sets of 4 pens each. Then there are the Sakura LE of 8 and 88 pens (the 333 edition doesn't have a retractable nib). I also like to think of the WE Proust to belong to this group because of the posting threads, even though it's not a retractable nib, and is a piston filler.

The only other pen with a retractable nib is the 100 year Historical, but it doesn't use the Boheme mechanism.

As a side note, I think naming the original pens Rouge et Noir and Noir et Noir was inspired by the original safety pen because of the retractable nib that mimicked the action of safties.

Darius' link should have all additional infos; I love all three sizes :)

Unfortunately the more interesting versions are only available in the smaller size.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by Michael R.

Thanks so much for the info. I did catch that photo during a search and couldn't believe how big it was. I would suspect trying to find one would be fruitless but I'll see what's out there. Of the current line up I think I'd lean towards the stoneless version. Anyway, thanks both of you for responding, very helpful.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

I wouldnt say fruitless, I picked up my big Boheme in the market here. OB nib on that baby is very satisfying.

It really is huge. I have a 149. The boheme posted definitely has a presence. More masculine I think then the smaller version.

Current - MB 149 (M), MB 145 (B), MB Boheme Big (OB), MB Boheme platinum (M), MB Starwalker resin (M).

Parker Sonnet black lacquer ST (M), Sonnet chrome (F). Visconti Van Gogh Maxi (M)

Wanted -MB 146 (EF), MB Solitaire sterling silver (OBB), MB Shaw (OM), Delta Dolce Vita Oversize (OBB)

Dreaming of -Catherine & Peter the Great 4810, Hemingway, Agatha Christie, Pope Julius II 4810, 146 Solitaire Nikolai I.

I got one around 2 months ago too from the MB boutique. Even though it's discontinued, there are some lying around.

There are 3 versions of the Boheme, size-wise. You can see a picture of the 3 together by Michael R on this thread.

Then the line was re-introduced as the Boheme with slight design modifications. The BP's and RB's have remained the same. The FP's however have the different sized versions. I am not sure which was introduced first, but the fixed nib and retractable nib versions were available at the same time at some stage, until the fixed nib version was discontinued. I know many of us refer to the retractable nib version as the "small" Boheme and the fixed nib version the "medium" Boheme, but these are basically the same size, except that the cap of the fixed nib version was longer to accommedate the nib. When these 2 are uncapped and unposted with the nib of the retractable one extended, they appear almost identical. Both have threads for posting the cap.

I'm still a novice, not being a collector but a daily user of FP's, learning more day by day when it comes to writing instruments.

Montblanc's / Simplo's range of FP's are rather confusing. There has been so many models thoughout the years that I think even the collectors litterature still misses some of the models that has been produced. It can be as confusing as collecting another fine German manufacturers product line, namely that of Leitz / Leica (cameras and optics).

Having obtained a mid-size fixed nib Bohème Rouge (sold new in 2002 at an authorized MB store in Germany) I'd say the mid-sized fixed model is bigger than the current line of retractable nib models you find at MB retailers today. Although the retractable nib/"safety nib" is a cool gimmick I'd say it would be a little to small for my hands. It also calms my nerves a bit to have a fixed nib version when reading about the problems that a retractable nib can cause (although I suspect there will always be a failure percentage considering how many Bohèmes MB churns out every year). Anyone know when they replaced the latest Noir et Noir/Rouge with the mid-size Bohème version? Was it in 2002? And how long did they produce the mid-size version? I think one of the local MB retailers here still have a mid-size fixed FP in their display along with the smaller (now standard) retractable nib versions. It retails at 560 EURO's which is a bit to swallow I think. :yikes:

Edited by Seongie