The Ink Flow

ismellarat

There is a store called The Ink Flow, based out of my city (even though it's online only), that I absolutely adore! I have only ordered from them once (about 5 o'clock today) but I have had multiple conversations with an exceptionally friendly and educated man named Alfred there, be it over the phone or through emails. He is always very sincere and knows what he is talking about when it comes to pens and their accessories. He speaks clear english (which is hard to come by here, normally you get poor english or great spanish :lol: ) and is great on the phone. He spoke loudly enough for me to hear him and sounded like he loved his job (which is always a plus).

Another reason that I love this store is their prices. Everything is marked below MSRP and they tend to get some pretty exclusive stuff in. The ink is pretty inexpensive (here are some examples):

-standard 3oz. noodlers - $10

-private reserve fast dry - $8.50

-private reserve regular - $6.72

-waterman - $6.80

-caran d'ache colors of the earth series - $15.20

Their shipping is great, well for me. I ordered one bottle of Private reserve midnight blues and, with tax and shipping, it cost me $8.46. Also, Alfred said it would be here tomorrow.

Stationary is more limited but they have Clairfontane and Rhodia.

They also hand-grind nibs and you can buy a new pen with the nib already ground.

From what I have read (or remember reading) Biffybeans orders some things from here.

Phone Number is: (210) 493-6135

Jazz It. Rock It. Paint It Blue. Paint it black. Tell your folks. Tune in. Turn off. Love it. Hate it. Do what you want. Do what you're told. Follow your heart. Follow your gut. Follow your brain. Hello. Goodbye. Try. Fear The Metal.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ismellarat

• PenFeed

• Ghost Plane

• Moruk

I just looked at their prices on Herbin ink and had palpitations! Bookmarked it immediately!

I just looked at their prices on Herbin ink and had palpitations! Bookmarked it immediately!

Oh great! Now the ink's out of the bag! :rolleyes:

Just kidding :P

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

I have The Ink Flow bookmarked already, but I have not done any business with them. If they have J. Herbin inks available and reasonably priced, I might start ordering from them soon. Thanks for the recommendation.

Also had great experience ordering ink.... quick delivery, one of the 3 bottles was not what I had ordered...had the correct ink in my hands in two days. The ink I had not ordered was mine compliments of The Inkflow. I will order from them again..and soon!

Peter

I'd like t order from them, but I save more when I order from JetPens simply because The Ink Flow is in state and therefore I have to pay sales tax and shipping whereas with Jetpens, no tax and no shipping because I have yet to order less than $25 worth of ink from them. I am glad to hear that the Ink Flow is so accommodating and competitive, though. Perhaps some day they'll open up a store front and I will be able to drive the three hours and shop!

Edited by bardharlock

"In this world... you must be oh, so smart, or oh, so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

I bought my first and only YOL from them last year, at a price that couldn't be matched anywhere and by anyone even until now :thumbup:

Shahrin B)

Excellent prices and great service. I also recommend them!

I only wish that their selection was a bit more robust.

I ordered from them and was fully satisfied. Being in Texas it cost me about the same overall as going to the store but it will be waiting on me when I get home not waiting on me to make a trip to the store. I could have ordered from out of state and saved the sales tax but prices were higher so it was the same bottom line and I wanted to give the business to a fellow Texan.

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

-----

Common sense isn't "right wing" unless you are too far to the left.

-----

www.ebookgab.com for all readers of ebooks

In addition to their great prices on certain inks and refills, I've found a couple of real

bargains lurking among their new pen listings. I now make a point to check their website

whenever I'm shopping for a new pen.

How sad! Dramgoole's and The Ink Flow in Houston, and only Paradise Pen in all of DFW. At least The Ink Flow is not B & M. Nice pricing though.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

How sad! Dramgoole's and The Ink Flow in Houston, and only Paradise Pen in all of DFW. At least The Ink Flow is not B & M. Nice pricing though.

Donnie

The Ink Flow is in San Antonio :) My favorite city in Texas! (mostly because I was born and raised here, but thats beside the fact).

We have a paradise pen... $10.81 for a bottle of waterman ink? No thanks :)

Jazz It. Rock It. Paint It Blue. Paint it black. Tell your folks. Tune in. Turn off. Love it. Hate it. Do what you want. Do what you're told. Follow your heart. Follow your gut. Follow your brain. Hello. Goodbye. Try. Fear The Metal.

• 4 years later...

Original Post:

Anyone know if these guys are still open? Tried calling, no answer.

Edit: I can confirm that they are, in fact, still in business.

Edited by PenFeed

Thanks for posting though, because I enjoyed searching their website.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thanks for posting though, because I enjoyed searching their website.

They have an impressive selection of pens and inks. I'm not fond of their web layout, but once you figure it out you see just how extensive their selection is.

Not to mention their favorable pricing.

Edited by PenFeed

• 8 months later...

I have a business trip to San Antonio next month - so there isn't a store front?

Are there other pen stores in San Antonio?

Thanks!

The Ink Flow has no storefront, but excellent service and a very capable nibmeister. There is a Paradise Pen in an upscale shopping center, and that is about it.

• 2 years later...

Ink Flow has great prices, but beware of the shipping. They don't do normal shipping, where if you buy something, they charge a handling fee, and then the postage. They obvious do the Click 'n' Ship thing, and don't go directly to the Post Office to get the best shipping rates for their customers. And that's just lazy, especially when I know EXACTLY how far from a post office their business is. Because I used to work at the very post office that serviced Ink Flow's address! I've even processed dozens of packages to and from that business, with my own hands.

That's why I know they're full of it with their shipping.

Now, granted, for something relatively small, like one bottle of ink, they charge a decent rate by using First Class Mail. Fair enough. But for something larger than that in weight or size? That's when the USPS starts doing the Click 'n' Ship rip off for online users.

And what makes that a rip off is that USPS Click 'n' Ship rates require using 1-day Flat Rate Priority Mail for items larger than one pound, or over a certain size.

But that's not where the bad practice ends. Ink Flow makes everything worse by charging per item for each Clairefontaine notebook.

There is ZERO reason for that.

I used to nearly break my back sorting parcels where people had put up to 70 pounds of bricks or marble tiles or engine belts into those flat-rate boxes. If those shippers can send 70 lbs of stuff for $13.60, then, by damn, an online pen and ink retailer can send me a bottle of ink and two 90 page notebooks weighing under three pounds to me for the same rate. You don't charge me $27.20 for that very same service.

Not to send something to an address less than 5 miles away, and certainly not to send it to the same postal station that your business uses.

Not now.

Not ever.

For $27.20, they'd better hand-deliver it to me at the precise time I tell them to be there.

• 4 weeks later...

Although many of these posts are old, it bears noticing that their web site is in the process of being redone, and new items are being added all the time. And their prices are still very good indeed!