Platinum Pigment Ink: Blue

Signum1

This is a new dark blue ink I just sample and would like to share my finding with my fellow ink enthusiasts lurking behind these monitors. :)

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/8710/scannedimage2s.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lloyd

• Signum1

• HenryLouis

• publius

Woah, this is really nice! Reminds me of Diamine Majestic Blue. Where did you get the bottle?

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

What does the manufacturer say with regard to using this ink with fountain pens?

Best, Ann

What does the manufacturer say with regard to using this ink with fountain pens?

Best, Ann

Good question Ann. Perhaps some talented FPN members who can read Japanese would kindly chime in to translate? Below is the scan of the box with the description.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/8397/scannedimage4o.jpg

Ann, here's the link to the seller's offering the pigment ink. The description could be the exact translation of the box. eBay seller.

Edited by Signum1

Woah, this is really nice! Reminds me of Diamine Majestic Blue. Where did you get the bottle?

Henry,

I got the ink from eBay seller engeika.

Cheers,

Signum1

The ink is also listed for sale on the Nakaya site. I wonder if it's the blue counterpart to Platinum Carbon Black.

Engeika's large warning of "P.S: If the ink gets dried for long time, you need to wash all your nib section to remove it.

It is hard to remove this ink once dried up!!" scares me.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I've been using it a bit. It is waterproof, but with a bit of Dawn dishwashing liquid soap, it comes out pretty easily FWIW. So far I've only used it in a Platinum Preppy and no problems yet.

Nice handwriting!

---

Ken

Thank you for the review, very nice color. If the ink can be removed by soap once dry on the paper, wouldn't it be easy to soak the section and get it clean by the traditional dishwasher drop & water method?. As Loyd states, the warning of Engeika is not encouraging. I don't know what to think.

Thanks for the review -- and very nice handwriting! I'm a fan of blue-blacks and waterproof inks and this looks very interesting. It's a bit similar to Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng, which also carries alarming warnings about putting it in any pen other than the one supplied with the ink. But I've had Kung Te-Cheng in a Pelikan M200 for half a year now with no probs. I laugh at danger. So I might have to try this ink...

Doug

It's interesting to note that this ink review raised concerns about the pigment ink by a few "risk adverse" ink users. For those concern about the pigment ink there are a few options listed below.

1) Avoid using the Platinum Pigment Ink.

2) Use it on a disposable fountain that cost $5 or less.

3) Use it on a fountain pen that you write with on a daily basis.

Regarding Lloyd's quote, "If the ink gets dried for long time, you need to wash all your nib section to remove it." (emphasis added by yours truly) I believe the issue here is that if you one of those people with 5 fountain pens on a rotation, then there is a chance that the ink will dry on feed. Simple solution: wash the feed with a soft toothbrush. I've taken my Edison Herald apart and studied the mechanics of the nib section. It's very straight forward. If any pigment get stuck along the centre of the feed, just remove those pigment with a toothbrush. It's like a clogged kitchen sink. You need a snake to remove the grease in copper pipe to unclog the kitchen sink.

Moreover, Platinum is a company that makes fountain pens in Japan. I don't think a company would sell fountain pen ink that would tarnish the company's image because that would be a blunder made by management.

Cheers,

Signum1

Regarding Lloyd's quote, "If the ink gets dried for long time, you need to wash all your nib section to remove it." (emphasis added by yours truly) I believe the issue here is that if you one of those people with 5 fountain pens on a rotation, then there is a chance that the ink will dry on feed. Simple solution: wash the feed with a soft toothbrush. I've taken my Edison Herald apart and studied the mechanics of the nib section. It's very straight forward. If any pigment get stuck along the centre of the feed, just remove those pigment with a toothbrush. It's like a clogged kitchen sink. You need a snake to remove the grease in copper pipe to unclog the kitchen sink.

Moreover, Platinum is a company that makes fountain pens in Japan. I don't think a company would sell fountain pen ink that would tarnish the company's image because that would be a blunder made by management.

Cheers,

Signum1

The concern is that I'm not sure if Platinum is selling this ink for use in standard (CC/piston/vac/etc.) fountain pens or only for dip/pump pens. I can not read the Japanese writng on the box.

Oscar Wilde

Best, Ann

Ann, here's the link to the seller's offering the pigment ink. The description could be the exact translation of the box. eBay seller.

Signum 1, thanks for the link...I've copied what the seller says on e-bay:

New Platinum Blue Pigment Ink Bottle 60ml

This is a platinum blue pigment ink bottle.

The differences between the ordinary dyed ink and the pigment ink are as follows:

1) In the pigment ink, the molecules are bonded tightly to each other making the ink water resistance. It does not dissolve easily in any soluble liquid.

2) It is also fade resistance that is you can keep this ink for long time and still the ink remains the same. Even if you write, the ink restores its characters. So can last for long periods

3) The pigment ink when wrote, the handwriting has a print quality. In the ordinary dyed ink, the ink always spread on the paper giving a very shabby looks but pigment ink has a print quality handwriting if wrote properly.

Start using Platinum pigment ink and improve your handwriting by making it a quality print handwriting!!

P.S: If the ink gets dried for long time, you need to wash all your nib section to remove it.

It is hard to remove this ink once dried up!!

Years ago I used some Dr. Martin's pigmented ink and the only FP it would flow through consistently was my Pelikan 120. When the ink in the bottle got older it wouldn't even flow through the Pelikan. Do be careful if you choose to use this ink. As Lloyd mentiioned, not all bottled ink is made to be used in FPs.

Best, Ann

The concern is that I'm not sure if Platinum is selling this ink for use in standard (CC/piston/vac/etc.) fountain pens or only for dip/pump pens. I can not read the Japanese writng on the box.

According to the instructions, this ink is made for fountain pens,of course you should be careful with the maintainance of them not to let the ink get dried for long time,for example, your fountain pens should be capped when you do not use them.

I think the way to maintain fountain pens in the instructions is common knowledge,nothing special.

rokurinpapa

According to the instructions, this ink is made for fountain pens,of course you should be careful with the maintainance of them not to let the ink get dried for long time,for example, your fountain pens should be capped when you do not use them.

I think the way to maintain fountain pens in the instructions is common knowledge,nothing special.

rokurinpapa

In that case, it looks like a fantastic looking and performing ink that may require very high maintenance like iron-gall, BSB, and carbon inks.

Oscar Wilde

That is consistent with what John Mottishaw writes on his website. He sells the blue pigmented ink and has this to say about it.

Sent to us by Nakaya pen company, we are providing Platinum pigmented ink in blue, and carbon ink in black. Because these inks are made using micro particles, they have excellent light fastness and a very intense color in the bottle. We recommend flushing regularly with any pigmented inks.

...Lee

Edited by njoyingaz

This is a new dark blue ink I just sample and would like to share my finding with my fellow ink enthusiasts lurking behind these monitors. :)

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/8710/scannedimage2s.jpg

Nice review. I like it!

BTW: when you do your water tests, you really need some soak time. A swab tells you nothing. For instance, when you swab Aurora blue, it will only smudge. But after a few minutes of soaking, it'g all gone.

Stevo

That is consistent with what John Mottishaw writes on his website. He sells the blue pigmented ink and has this to say about it.

Sent to us by Nakaya pen company, we are providing Platinum pigmented ink in blue, and carbon ink in black. Because these inks are made using micro particles, they have excellent light fastness and a very intense color in the bottle. We recommend flushing regularly with any pigmented inks.

...Lee

This part is a bit worrisome:

...however it is hard to move ink pigments when the pigment harden to the feeder.
Accidents happen. With my luck, I'd get sick/injured/distracted for 2 weeks and come back to a damaged pen. While iron gall inks should be flushed every 2-4 weeks, your link says to flush pigment inks weekly.

Oscar Wilde